God Works In Mysterious Ways Part 1

Cidu Bill on Jul 15th 2013

cidu-mars-freerange-whitehead.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bill Whitehead, CIDU, Free Range, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “God Works In Mysterious Ways Part 1”

1. James Pollock Jul 15th 2013 at 12:08 am 1

Stranger in a Strange Land.
    I don’t think it makes anything funny; it’s just what I thought of.

2. Powers Jul 15th 2013 at 07:30 am 2

Obviously, the original set of rules (the Koran? The Torah? The Book of Mormon?) never mention Mars, so they were clearly meant only to apply to Earth.

3. Nicole Jul 15th 2013 at 08:32 am 3

The old rules aren’t working .. time for a reboot

4. Ian Osmond Jul 15th 2013 at 09:00 am 4

I’m with Nicole. They’ve got a new planet; the original attempt at setting up rules didn’t work; maybe this time we can do better.

Not funny, but kinda vaguely uplifting. Not much, but a little.

5. Daniel J. Drazen Jul 15th 2013 at 10:02 am 5

Eleventh Commandment: Go back and read the other Ten.

6. Elyrest Jul 15th 2013 at 10:55 am 6

I’m not so sure that the Big Guy did such a good job the 1st time when he decided to impose rules. The Garden of Eden might’ve just stayed that way without the “don’t eat the fruit” rule.

7. Winter Wallaby Jul 15th 2013 at 11:06 am 7

Elyrest #6: It’s all by design.

8. Elyrest Jul 15th 2013 at 11:49 am 8

Winter Wallaby - That’s a scary design there and it makes me think I’ve been doing my eating all wrong. ;-)

9. Scott Jul 15th 2013 at 11:51 am 9

Reboot? We’ve had three already, with varying levels of market success. Plus we have a competing franchise with its own reboot. Lots of really bad retconning also.
    Maybe they should get JJ Abrams tp be in charge of a new version of both.
    What Mars has to do with it I don’t know. (Though holidays based on the moon would get interesting.) If it were Barsoom we’d have a whole new list of kosher and tref foods.

10. Morris Keesan Jul 15th 2013 at 12:33 pm 10

Mars has a different length of day. How will we know when it’s Shabbat?

11. The Bad Seed Jul 15th 2013 at 07:16 pm 11

I dunno, the Old Testament is full of an awful lot of tests and smiting and otherwise pretty harsh punishment, I still have trouble believing in any all-powerful and all-knowing god who would be so harsh and insecure. Also, I would question the integrity of anyone, human or supernatural, who would smite my enemies simply because they’re MY enemies, despite the fact that they might be perfectly wonderful people with nice families.

12. Lost in A**2 Jul 15th 2013 at 09:15 pm 12

Well, yeah, they probably were perfectly wonderful people with nice families. But their gods weren’t as powerful.

13. Jeff S. Jul 15th 2013 at 09:22 pm 13

Not J.J. Abrams!!! There will be lens flare from every candle in every church on every planet!

14. Mark in Boston Jul 15th 2013 at 09:47 pm 14

God, being all-powerful, created Man to be perverse. Being omniscient, he knew all along that Adam and Eve would break that one rule. And yet he got all worked up when Adam and Eve exercised the free will he gave them.

15. Dave in Boston Jul 16th 2013 at 02:27 am 15

Morris: like you do when north of the Arctic Circle, or in orbit: use a clock.

(That said, the Mars day is close enough to the Earth one that most likely any colonists or even visitors/explorers will just use it. Basically means you get an extra half hour of sleep every night.)