Sunday Funnies: LOL, July 14, 2013

lol-boffing.png

lol-born-cyanide.png

Pat Toner:

2013-07-05-buni.gif

Chak:

Arlo and Janis gets meta:aj130708.gif

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Buni, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Cyanide and Happiness, David Willis, Jimmy Johnson, Mark Parisi, New Yorker, Off the Mark, Shortpacked, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, July 14, 2013”

1. Dave in Boston Jul 14th 2013 at 03:51 am 1

Wrong tags; that’s DoA, not Shortpacked.

(also, I don’t understand the New Yorker one - I assume it has something to do with them being black sheep, but I don’t get it)

2. Keera Jul 14th 2013 at 04:24 am 2

I’d ground that kid for life — if I could make sure he didn’t make another wish. (Twilight Zone, wasn’t it?)

3. Elyrest Jul 14th 2013 at 08:31 am 3

Keera - I think that would mean that the mother would be pregnant for life. That’s one of the scariest things imaginable! Ugh!

4. Lola Jul 14th 2013 at 10:23 am 4

DIB - he’s the black sheep of his family, so he counts black sheep or he counts black sheep because his mind is bent that way.

5. Jenn Jul 14th 2013 at 12:10 pm 5

I thought the prisoner was already asleep in the New Yorker cartoon, and he was having a bad dream about all those black sheep jumping to freedom, while he’s still locked up.

6. Scott Jul 14th 2013 at 01:22 pm 6

The C&H is very similar to a sketch from last season of the Comedy Bang Bang tv show, in with Reggie Watts wished he’d never been born. He found himself as a grown man, still inside his mother’s uterus.

7. furrykef Jul 14th 2013 at 03:41 pm 7

The Cyanide & Happiness feels like it needs more setup to me. Why would he randomly get his wish (albeit not the way he intended it) for no reason? I wish I had a million dollars. ……… Hmm. No giant pile of cash showed up.

8. James Pollock Jul 14th 2013 at 05:22 pm 8

furrykef, there are a couple of cases where wish-granters would grant wishes, but not in the way desired… genies are known for this, and the Monkey’s Paw. It’s also a persistent theme in “The Lathe of Heaven”, without any kind of mechanism for it being explained.

9. Morris Keesan Jul 14th 2013 at 05:35 pm 9

“DAPTLY”? The impression I get, from whatever strip that is after the New Yorker comic, is that the cartoonist doesn’t think that the British woman is making up words. I’m not a real expert on British English, but I find the expression “rogers your todger” highly suspect, since I know only one slang meaning of the verb “to roger”, and it doesn’t make any sense in that context.

10. furrykef Jul 14th 2013 at 06:25 pm 10

James Pollock, my issue is here there isn’t a genie or anything at all. And I don’t think the Lathe of Heaven analogy is valid, because using an unexplained phenomenon as the premise of a story is not the same thing as having a random unexplained event happen in a joke. It would be more analogous to having a deus ex machina (or rather a diabolus ex machina) at the end of the story.

I know somebody’s gonna say I’m overanalyzing the joke, but look, I wouldn’t be “overanalyzing” it if it worked in the first place.

11. Narmitaj Jul 14th 2013 at 07:20 pm 11

@ Morris Keesan - it looks like DAFTLY not DAPTLY.

I too am not sure what “rogers your todger” is supposed to mean. A todger, after all, is the member with which a male rogers other people.

12. Morris Keesan Jul 14th 2013 at 08:35 pm 12

Okay, when I enlarge it, I see that it probably is DAFTLY, and just not lettered very well.
    It’s pretty clear to me that what the cartoonist was trying for was a British version of “turns you on”, “excites you sexually”, etc.

13. Dave in Boston Jul 14th 2013 at 10:00 pm 13

Lola: yeah… but what’s the joke? I dunno, maybe I’m just being dense.

14. Morris Keesan Jul 14th 2013 at 10:13 pm 14

It’s a New Yorker cartoon, so it’s not necessarily intended to be funny.
    My interpretation of it is that instead of counting sheep to get to sleep, he’s asleep already, and he’s dreaming of sheep escaping. The color of the sheep is unimportant. Notice that the sheep appear to be jumping over a gate, not over a fence.
    (I don’t know whether the water pitcher chained to the leg of the bed is supposed to be significant at all.)

15. Lost in A**2 Jul 15th 2013 at 12:44 am 15

The sheep counted to go to sleep are usually white. These are black. Yup; a black sheep counting black sheep.

I wonder how rare black sheep actually are.

16. Jen F Jul 15th 2013 at 06:26 pm 16

@Morris Keesan - i took the pitcher chained to the bed as just being an old school piss pot, like the striped prisoner pajamas. neither is used in prison anymore.