Shouldn’t the one on the left…

Cidu Bill on Jul 11th 2013

tunnel.gif

be the Tunnel of Suffering a Concussion After Hitting Your Head on the Bottom of the Bridge?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Non Sequitur, comic strips, comics, humor | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Shouldn’t the one on the left…”

1. Winter Wallaby Jul 11th 2013 at 12:09 pm 1

The boat is presumably empty when it goes under the bridge. The people get on at the step next to the man at the podium, just before it enters the tunnel on the left.

2. Cidu Bill Jul 11th 2013 at 12:16 pm 2

Ah. You’re right. My apologies to whoever’s actually writing the strip these days.

3. RyanE Jul 11th 2013 at 12:31 pm 3

I assume the tunnels are connected in a big ‘U’, but it’s not entirely clear that they are.

4. Jeff S. Jul 11th 2013 at 01:17 pm 4

RyanE is right. One big U-shaped tunnel. Once the hormones wear off, they ask themselves, what were we thinking?

5. James Pollock Jul 11th 2013 at 01:49 pm 5

They’re lucky there’s only TWO people getting off at the end of the tunnel of “what were you thinking.”

6. Boise Ed Jul 11th 2013 at 01:59 pm 6

[3] The bottom-right of the left-hand tunnel just starts its U-curve before disappearing from sight, if you look closely.

7. rain Jul 11th 2013 at 05:27 pm 7

I thought the one on the left was in the middle.

/geezerReference

8. James Pollock Jul 11th 2013 at 06:06 pm 8

According to Johnny Cash, the one on the left was on the right, and the guy in the middle was on the left. And the guy in the rear… was a Methodist.

9. rain Jul 11th 2013 at 06:35 pm 9

Just checked on Youtube to be sure. It’s the other way ’round:

“The one on the right was on the left, and the one in the middle was on the right, and the one on the left was in the middle, and the guy in the rear…was a Methodist”

We all agree that the guy in the rear was a Methodist, at least.

10. James Pollock Jul 11th 2013 at 10:04 pm 10

Cash is on stage, facing you, so his directions are the opposite of yours.

11. rain Jul 12th 2013 at 01:18 am 11

Yeah, but it was written by Jack Clement, who’s sitting in the audience next to me. :-)

12. minorannoyance Jul 12th 2013 at 01:38 am 12

Archaic cliche time. Has anybody here ever seen an actual “Tunnel of Love” ride in real life?

I’d guess they exist in the same imaginary seaside park that boasts arcade machines that deliver powerful electric shocks, carnival games where you throw baseballs at a guy sticking his head through a hole, and the booth with a pretty girl selling kisses. Oh, and the gypsy fortune teller who’s always out to lunch so some comic character can take her place.

13. Cidu Bill Jul 12th 2013 at 02:30 am 13

I have, minorannoyance. Close to 40 years ago (yikes!)

There was a barker offering a free ride to anybody who could guess what percentage of women thought their breasts were too large or too small.

14. James Pollock Jul 12th 2013 at 04:43 am 14

“the booth with a pretty girl selling kisses”
    The cheerleaders used this one as a fundraiser when I was still in high school (it’s been a while) but they also still do carwashes

15. James Pollock Jul 12th 2013 at 04:44 am 15

“Yeah, but it was written by Jack Clement”
    Yeah, but I didn’t refer to who WROTE it. I referred to who SAID it. Which is Johnny, up on the stage.

16. Winter Wallaby Jul 12th 2013 at 09:50 am 16

minorannoyance #12:

. . . carnival games where you throw baseballs at a guy sticking his head through a hole. . .

I’ve never seen this, but my understanding was that this was at least originally a fairly explicitly racist game, in which the target was always black (see African Dodger). So, understandably, not as popular post-Civil-Rights movement.

17. Elyrest Jul 12th 2013 at 11:56 am 17

I grew up with the old-time amusement parks and while you wouldn’t confuse them with Disneyland, they were wonderful. I don’t ever remember seeing a tunnel of love though. I rode in bobbing little boats, but there wasn’t any kissing or cuddling going on. More often it was rocking and splashing. I have fond memories of these parks:

Midway Park on Chautauqua Lake in upstate New York: http://nysparks.com/parks/167/

Rye Playland just above Long Island right by Connecticut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playland_%28New_York%29

Fantasy Island on Grand Island, NY near Niagara Falls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin%27s_Fantasy_Island

Crystal Beach in Ontario

Conneaut Lake Park in NW Pennsylvania http://www.conneautlakepark.com/

Kennyword Park near Pittsburgh, PA http://www.kennywood.com/

18. Boise Ed Jul 12th 2013 at 02:02 pm 18

I fondly remember Chicago’s Riverview Park. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverview_Park_(Chicago) says that its north boundary was Lane Tech High School. Can you imagine attending school daily, right next to a place like that?) As a kid, I thought Riverview had absolutely everything, but I don’t recall any Tunnel of Love.

19. Lola Jul 12th 2013 at 04:08 pm 19

Yeah, I never saw an actual Tunnel of Love ride. Like James Pollock, my old high school had a kissing booth. I “might” have been working at it. Not fun.

I’ve never seen a booth where you throw balls at a face, but definitely cream pies. Also have seen one where you throw a ball at a lever that, when hit, drops someone (usually the coach) into a tank of water.

20. Boise Ed Jul 12th 2013 at 04:15 pm 20

Seen it? I’ve been a dunkee!

21. James Pollock Jul 12th 2013 at 07:56 pm 21

I would assume that the allure of a “Tunnel of Love” carnival ride faded as other methods of getting some alone time with a date became easier and cheaper to come by.

22. rain Jul 12th 2013 at 09:06 pm 22

> “I referred to who SAID it. Which is Johnny, up on the stage.”

Oh, yeah, the guy who said “The one on the right is on the left…”

That Johnny guy. He was cool.