I do not think that word means… well, you know…

Cidu Bill on Jul 8th 2013

karma2.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Dilbert, I do not think that word means what you think it means, Scott Adams, comic strips, comics, karma | 10 responses so far

10 Responses to “I do not think that word means… well, you know…”

1. Morris Keesan Jul 8th 2013 at 03:55 pm 1

In this case, unlike the drought comic, I think Scott Adams (and by extension, Dilbert) does have a correct (or close enough for comics) understanding of the word “karma”.

2. Mike Jul 8th 2013 at 04:24 pm 2

Agreed with Morris. His karmic payback for being rude to Dilbert is that Dilbert is going to kick his ass. Though karma is usually a little slower and more subtle.

3. Inkwell Jul 8th 2013 at 04:40 pm 3

Wow, Dilbert is creepy. If he sent me 30 messages, I’d ignore them until I could figure out how to tell him I’m taken.

4. Kit Jul 8th 2013 at 04:57 pm 4

I thought “Karma” was the name of his curly tie . . .

5. mitch4 Jul 8th 2013 at 05:55 pm 5

Well, it’s not the full, original, spiritual meaning of “karma”. But it’s pretty much in line with the informal or lax sense that has grown in (at least) U.S. English usage in the last few decades. AFAIK the earlier senses provided the payback in a next life, and in part as a matter of what species or lifeform you would next live as.

6. Winter Wallaby Jul 8th 2013 at 06:54 pm 6

I don’t think karma has to be payback in a next life, I believe it can also be in this life as well.

7. furrykef Jul 8th 2013 at 11:58 pm 7

I thought karma (in its modern, pop culture sense) usually implies the universe itself is punishing the person. In other words, it has to be two events that are otherwise apparently unconnected. If I punch a random guy in the face for the hell of it, and soon a bowling ball lands on my head by pure chance, that’s karma. If the guy I punched dropped the bowling ball because he saw me passing by and recognized me, that’s not karma, because it’s an intentional act of revenge.

8. furrykef Jul 9th 2013 at 02:26 am 8

Well, OK, my example is pretty lousy because it’s arguably still karma if neither of us had any expectation of meeting again and he just happened to see me walking by later. If he followed me and intentionally set up that situation, though, then it wouldn’t be karma.

9. Carl Jul 10th 2013 at 07:38 am 9

Our local marsupial is correct–”karma” is just “cosmic justice”. Karma-samsara is justice via rebirth.

10. Danny Boy (London Derriere) Jul 10th 2013 at 07:46 am 10

Ah, that helps … There’s cosmic justice and then there’s comic justice .