Goodbye

Cidu Bill on Jul 8th 2013

cidu-zits-goodbye.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Zits, comic strips, comics, humor | 7 responses so far

7 Responses to “Goodbye”

1. Miscreant Jul 8th 2013 at 02:03 am 1

The busy social calendar of a teenager - arriving home just in time to go out again. In this case, he doesn’t even get through the door, just pops in to wave goodbye.

2. Jenn Jul 8th 2013 at 02:30 am 2

Well, I’m just going to say I’m still as stumped as I was when I read this in the paper. Mysteries: Is Jeremy on the front porch or in another room? (The carpet would suggest another room.) Who is he talking to, friends or his parents? (I guess his parents, because of he “Don’t wait up” statement.) Is “It’s been a slice” a thing that people say now?

3. PeterW Jul 8th 2013 at 03:11 am 3

I think teens said “it’s been a slice” for the space of about half an hour back in the 80s.

When I read it I came to the conclusion that Jeremy had just gotten home and started saying goodbye before leaving again. The dialogue suggests that he should be on the front porch, but that may be a communication issue between the writer and the artist.

4. James Pollock Jul 8th 2013 at 07:45 am 4

Apparently, the Duncan house has an entryway that’s separated by a door from the living room. Thus, Jeremy comes in the front door, but it still behind a door from where the parents are sitting doing parenty stuff. They’re lucky they see him at all.

5. Keera Jul 8th 2013 at 12:34 pm 5

Didn’t occur to me that anyone would think that’s a porch. Since I’ve been living in a temperate zone, I’m used to the front door opening into a hall, rather than the sub-tropical straight into the living room. And there are usually more doors in a home in temperate climate to help keep heat up rooms in the winter.

6. Elyrest Jul 11th 2013 at 10:41 pm 6

Keera - It’s surprising how many homes in the northern U.S. have front doors that open right into the living room. The houses I grew up in all had hallways or foyers that the front door opened on to, but those were older homes. I’ve been house hunting recently and in almost all the homes built in the last 50 years, that I have seen, the front door is in the living room. Everyone uses the back or side door to come in and out.

7. jjmcgaffey Jul 12th 2013 at 05:24 pm 7

We had a house in Virginia built in the 40s or so. Brick, and just before the wartime development boom. It had a front door opening onto the living room - we remodeled things (in the 80s) so the living room was in the back, the front room was a dining room (and yes, we used it - my parents like to entertain), and the door opened onto a hallway running along one side of the dining room.

So - yeah. All kinds.