Sunday Funnies: LOL, July 7, 2013

Elyrest:

rhymes-hilary.gif

Lola:

badger.gif

Morris Keesan:

lol-biff-huber-morris.jpg

Filed in Adam Huber, Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, Book of Biff, Brevity, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dark Side of the Horse, Hilary B. Price, Mark Parisi, New Yorker, Off the Mark, Rhymes With Orange, Road Runner, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, July 7, 2013”

1. mitch4 Jul 7th 2013 at 12:09 am 1

The Coyote-and-Road-Runner one is cute and funny too … despite what are probably logic gaps that should be spared from analysis.

2. Jeff S. Jul 7th 2013 at 12:12 am 2

I like the last two!

3. Seth Finkelstein Jul 7th 2013 at 02:42 am 3

The biggest “logic” gap in the Coyote-and-Road-Runner one is that it means the Coyote finally caught the Road Runner. Or maybe the Road Runner was about to trick someone into opening the oven so it could make its escape.

4. ANDREA Jul 7th 2013 at 07:54 am 4

It wasn’t Kool-Aid; it was some generic brand that was used . . .

5. Jeff S. Jul 7th 2013 at 09:03 am 5

Andrea, people say Kool-Aid when they mean any powdered drink mix because the name brand has become genericized.

6. ANDREA Jul 7th 2013 at 09:06 am 6

I realize that, but I’m pedantic enough to correct it when I can . . . NOT the kind of PR one wants for one’s product, eh?

7. ANDREA Jul 7th 2013 at 09:09 am 7

Some interesting insight here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

8. LarryLunts Jul 7th 2013 at 10:16 am 8

“Kool-Aid” is a registered trademark. The product that was used at the Jonestown mass suicide (from which the phrase “drinking the Kool-Aid” originated) was actually “Flavor-Aid,” a similar generic product. Oh, YEAH!!!

9. LarryLunts Jul 7th 2013 at 10:25 am 9

“Off the Mark” is a puzzler. A ground sloth delivers a nude adult male sucking a pacifier, and this is somehow an example of “outsourcing gone wrong?” I don’t get it. Are we into non-sequiter territory here?

10. Elyrest Jul 7th 2013 at 10:32 am 10

LarryLunts - Usually it is pictured as a stork that is delivering a newborn baby. The stork has outsourced to the sloth. The sloth takes his job seriously and delivers the package, but it has taken so long that the baby has grown up.

11. LarryLunts Jul 7th 2013 at 11:13 am 11

Elyrest: You nailed it. Objections to the baby’s growing maturation interfering with the sloth’s mission aside, it’s difficult to see how this chain of thought would be apparent to a casual newspaper reader!

12. DemetriosX Jul 7th 2013 at 12:10 pm 12

My biggest problem with “Rhymes with Orange” is the penultimate panel. I’m not really aware of anybody and especially no companies wanting to be followed on Tumblr. Did Price get confused and thing the lower-case “t” stood for Twitter? Was the bird too hard to draw (and if so, why are you a cartoonist)?

And with those questions running through my head, the sudden appearance of the Kool-Aid man reminded me that Kool-Aid actually tried to rebrand the #FML hashtag to mean “fun my life” as an advertising gimmick a couple of months ago.

13. Jeff S. Jul 7th 2013 at 12:11 pm 13

I think most people got the stork-outsourcing comic, which is why it appears here as an LOL, not as a CIDU.

14. Wendy Jul 7th 2013 at 12:22 pm 14

I got it immediately, but then I’ve been reading Xanth books by Piers Anthony, and summoning the stork is how babies arrive in Xanth. Great books full of puns, if you like that sort of thing.

15. Wendy Jul 7th 2013 at 12:26 pm 15

DemetriosX, that is the twitter “t”. The tumblr logo is different, though it is also a lower case t. I’d call it more of a Times New Roman font. Quick image search will show the differences.

16. Jeff S. Jul 7th 2013 at 12:45 pm 16

Wendy is right. Here are the Facebook, tumblr, and twitter logos –

17. Angie Jul 7th 2013 at 12:49 pm 17

Could someone explain the prison one? I’m not getting it.

18. AMC Jul 7th 2013 at 12:54 pm 18

It escaped you?

19. DemetriosX Jul 7th 2013 at 01:05 pm 19

@15, 16

So it is. I generally gloss over all the social media thingies on websites. I think most of the places I visit that have a Twitter feed either use a word link or the bird, though.

20. Winter Wallaby Jul 7th 2013 at 01:29 pm 20

Angie #17: He’s worried about how the prisoner is feeling because his bed wasn’t slept in last night, but he should be really be worried that the prisoner has escaped.

While it may be based on a faulty origin story, “drink the Kool-Aid” is a commonly understood idiom. “Drink the Flavor-Aid” is not.

21. James Pollock Jul 7th 2013 at 01:49 pm 21

“The biggest “logic” gap in the Coyote-and-Road-Runner one is that it means the Coyote finally caught the Road Runner.”
    True aficionados know that in the cartoons, the Coyote DID finally catch the Roadrunner. It ends like this: The coyote is chasing the roadrunner. The roadrunner runs into a pipe, and the coyote follows him. The pipe gets smaller and smaller until it is tiny, and a tiny roadrunner emerges, followed by a tiny coyote. This startles them, so the turn around and run back into the small end of the pipe. We pan back across the pipe getting larger and larger. The Roadrunner emerges, back to normal-size. The coyote emerges, still tiny.

He holds up a sign that says “well, you always wanted me to catch him” and then another one that says “now what?”. The end.

22. Chakolate Jul 7th 2013 at 02:42 pm 22

Elyrest @10, thanks for the explanation - now that you say it it’s easy to see, but it completely eluded me on my own.

23. Elyrest Jul 7th 2013 at 04:09 pm 23

Chakolate - I’ve sent more than one CIDU to Bill that he has immediately explained it to me. It always seems so obvious - afterwards.

24. Cidu Bill Jul 7th 2013 at 04:31 pm 24

Elyrest, that’s how I feel almost every day.

25. MikeK Jul 7th 2013 at 05:05 pm 25

I don’t think the sloth took so long to arrive with the ‘baby’ because he took the job so seriously. I think it took him a long time because, well, he’s a sloth.

26. Elyrest Jul 7th 2013 at 05:18 pm 26

MikeK - Of course it took him so long because he’s a sloth, but he took it seriously or he would’ve given up before that little babe needed a shave.

27. Angie Jul 8th 2013 at 08:25 am 27

@AMC-well played! :) And now it’s obvious.