Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 30, 2013

lol-elyrest-lightningbugs.gif
Chak:

suoerglue.gif
Mitch4:

lol-bizarro-pith.gif
Morris Keesan:

I have a vague recollection that we discussed this kind of thing once before on CIDU. I remember telling the story of one of my coworkers being told that the word “gullible” wasn’t in the dictionary, and starting to go get a dictionary to check.gullible.jpg
Jeff S.:

lio130625.gif

Filed in Adam Huber, Argyle Sweater, Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Bizarro, Bug Martini, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dark Side of the Horse, Dave Coverly, Dilbert, Hilary B. Price, Jimmy Johnson, Joy of Tech, Lio, Lockhorns, Mark Tatulli, Minimumble, New Yorker, Rhymes With Orange, Scott Adams, Scott Hilburn, Speed Bump, Zach Weiner, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 38 responses so far

38 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 30, 2013”

1. Carl Jun 30th 2013 at 01:03 am 1

Is the implication that the New Yorker’s Mr. Pointillism is going to backstab Stan with that incredibly-poorly-drawn Persian dagger?

2. James Schend Jun 30th 2013 at 01:28 am 2

Lorkhorn muder: the most forgivable crime.

3. Arch Jun 30th 2013 at 01:49 am 3

The Joy of Tech: NSA and it “meta data analysis” department should know that the AKC designation is not “brown lab”, but “chocolate lab”, and furthermore that the breed does not have a white snout or a white tip on its tail. These errors make the “spooks” even more worrisome. Good luck, NSA, in catching these nefarious canine types.

4. James Pollock Jun 30th 2013 at 03:48 am 4

Arch, there are some dogs which are not registered with the AKC at all.

5. billybob Jun 30th 2013 at 04:01 am 5

I’m not sure if this is how you post a link here:

6. Soup Dragon Jun 30th 2013 at 06:35 am 6

I didn’t get A&J. How did the delivery guy reach the bathroom in the first place? Wasn’t the front door locked? Couldn’t Arlo sign? Who are the Bumsteads?

7. billybob Jun 30th 2013 at 06:47 am 7

Bumsteads are Blondie and Dagwood. The delivery guy was there because her privacy settings have been updated.

8. Daniel J. Drazen Jun 30th 2013 at 07:31 am 8

The Life 2.0 reminds me of an incident from Peter Tauber’s “The Sunshine Soldiers,” about his experience in Army Basic Training. A Lieutenant points out two freshly-lettered signs, “ATILLARY” and ‘RENLISTMENT” to a sergeant who then asks, “OK, so which one’s misspelled?”

9. harvling Jun 30th 2013 at 08:17 am 9

‘Dark Side of the Horse” is a CIDU. Lil help?

10. Ian Osmond Jun 30th 2013 at 08:36 am 10

harvling @9 — see off in the sky, the little jar of glue with the cape? That’s neither a bird, nor a plane — it’s SuperGlue!

11. Ian Osmond Jun 30th 2013 at 08:43 am 11

My high school physics teacher was Mr House. He had a pronounced lisp, which we just sort of tuned out after a while. Other than the lisp, he spoke clearly enough, and he was a fine and engaging teacher, so we just sort of automatically adjusted back and didn’t even notice it after a while.

High school physics was almost entirely mechanics, but we did just a little bit on electromagnetism at the end of the year, starting out with electrical charges — rub a glass rod on cat fur, and that sort of thing.

This was fine, but it was really startling when he pulled out the equipment to do the pith ball demonstration.

12. harvling Jun 30th 2013 at 08:50 am 12

Thank you, Ian Osmond. I couldn’t tell what that flying thing was!

13. mitch4 Jun 30th 2013 at 09:41 am 13

I’ll echo that thanks, Ian. I’ve been puzzling over that DSOH for a couple days. I didn’t get that it had a cape, and thought the point it was trying for was that the glue sticks so well it can even stick to the empty sky. OR — that the whole background outside the garage door was really a physical backdrop (the sort of trick DSOH sometimes goes in for).

I don’t know quite why, but it sort of bothers me that the Days would know the Bumsteads.

14. Powers Jun 30th 2013 at 10:01 am 14

Janis might be the only one glad about the opaque water.

15. Woodrowfan Jun 30th 2013 at 11:53 am 15

A&J have made several jokes about being neighbors to other comic strip characters. Once Janis read an article in a women’s magazine that said couples should share their fantasies. She tells Arlo one about Paul Newman. Arlo makes the mistake of casting his fantasy with Lois from “Hi and Lois” (I think it was Lois). it was a funny series…

16. Elyrest Jun 30th 2013 at 12:18 pm 16

Soup Dragon - Blondie is a comic strip that has been around since the 1930s. It’s about Dagwood and Blondie Bumstead. One of the recurring jokes has Dagwood in the bathtub with everyone coming in to disturb him - postman, neighbors, kid down the street etc.

Arlo & Janis - http://arloandjanis.com/Dagwood%27s-bath.gif

17. Morris Keesan Jun 30th 2013 at 12:34 pm 17

I had submitted the minimumble “privacy settings” comic as a CIDU, which Bill explained to me via email (for the benefit of other people like me who choose not to be part of Mark Zuckerberg’s product: it’s a Facebook thing), and I had expected to see Dark Side of the Horse here as a CIDU, because even though I saw the can of glue with a cape, it took me a few seconds.

18. ANDREA Jun 30th 2013 at 01:32 pm 18

But . . . does superglue even COME in a can?? I’ve only seen it in tiny tubes.

19. Jeff S. Jun 30th 2013 at 02:24 pm 19

It also comes in a bottle where you squeeze the sides to get the glue out.

20. John Small Berries Jun 30th 2013 at 03:55 pm 20

Looks to me more like an Elmer’s Glue bottle than a can. I do have a bottle of cyanoacrylate glue in a bottle that’s shaped similarly to Elmer’s, though it’s smaller and more squat-looking. And more of a translucent grey than white.

21. Dennis Ewing Jun 30th 2013 at 05:11 pm 21

I buy the CA glue in pints and quarts. I don’t think I have seen it in a can, but it does come in large quantities.

22. Jeff S. Jun 30th 2013 at 06:18 pm 22

Here is the glue bottle I’m talking about –

I really think there is just a tube inside the bottle and squeezing the sides just squeezes the tube inside.

23. Kilby Jun 30th 2013 at 11:27 pm 23

Superglue cannot be packaged in a (metal) can, because it will bond everything together.

@ Jeff S. (22) - That bottle has an unbelievably stupid design. All that plastic to hold less than a teaspoon of fluid.

P.S. Warning: The Staples website demands a ZIP code before it shows the picture. I entered 99999. ;-)

24. furrykef Jun 30th 2013 at 11:37 pm 24

‘Tis strange bathwater indeed. Not only is it opaque, it has constant waves!

25. billybob Jul 1st 2013 at 12:45 am 25

Kilby, use the MacDonald farm zip code — 31310 (or maybe the mirror 01313).

26. LarryLunts Jul 1st 2013 at 02:11 am 26

Superglue is typically sold in small packages because it has a very limited shelf life when exposed to oxygen.

27. LarryLunts Jul 1st 2013 at 02:18 am 27

mitch4: That Janis knows the Bumsteads is what turns this comic from a “steal” into an homage and a parody.

28. Morris Keesan Jul 1st 2013 at 07:46 am 28

Odd. Staples didn’t ask me for a ZIP code. I wonder if it has anything to do with browser settings, or whether they only ask for a ZIP code if their geolocation software can’t guess one based on your IP address.

29. Narmitaj Jul 1st 2013 at 10:15 am 29

@Kilby “All that plastic to hold less than a teaspoon of fluid.”

In the UK, anyway, supermarket price labels show the price of some items alongside a price for a notional weight or volume, so you can easily compare, for instance, a can from a six-pack of tinned beans with a tin from another producer’s four-pack, or various 750ml or 500ml olive oil bottles against a litre price.

I was surprised to see that they bothered to do this with superglue, which obviously I didn’t think of in large-quantity terms before but learned came to £666 a litre!

30. Kilby Jul 1st 2013 at 11:11 am 30

@ ZIPs - The geolocation / IP theory (@28) sounds very probable. It shows how provincial Staples thinks, if they don’t even bother to check for IP’s outside of the US. I really wish I could get Hotspot Shield working again, so that I can bypass this sort of junk.

P.S. the best part about the whole ZIP affair is that it motivated me to do something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time: I looked up the postal codes of a few unlikely locations (comparable to the White House or Congressional mailing addresses), so that the next time some idiot cashier asks me for my ZIP code, instead of arguing I can simply provide bad data.

31. Morris Keesan Jul 1st 2013 at 12:46 pm 31

Narmitaj, in the US we also see the price per volume or weight, at least for foods, but the prices are shown on the supermarket shelf tags, not on the labels on the actual product. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any standard for what units to use, so I’ve frequently seen totally useless information such as two comparable items adjacent on the shelf, with one showing the price per gallon (volume) and the other showing the price per pound (weight).

32. Morris Keesan Jul 1st 2013 at 12:49 pm 32

Kilby #30, see http://xkcd.com/713/ .

33. Bob Jul 1st 2013 at 01:02 pm 33

Morris - I’ve seen unit pricing that gave the price “per each”! Really wanted to “go off” on a manager about that, but… well, time, inconvenience, etc.

Also, according to “Sunday Morning”, zip codes are 50 years old.

34. Kilby Jul 1st 2013 at 03:03 pm 34

@ 31 & 33 - One would think that a nice uniform metric system would make unit pricing easier, but the idiots who print the labels seem to go out of their way to confuse the issue as much as possible. Here in Germany I often see labels that list the unit prices per 100 grams right mixed in with other labels that say per kilogram. Admittedly, it’s much easier to do the conversion, but it would be nice if they would stick to a single unit.

P.S. Up until very recently, German law required manufacturers to stick to standard production sizes, which made it much easier to compare between brands. This law was invalidated by the EU idiots in Brussels, so food products have been shifting around to all sorts of random nonsensical quantities, making price comparisons nearly impossible without the labels or a calculator.

35. James Pollock Jul 1st 2013 at 06:32 pm 35

“Staples didn’t ask me for a ZIP code. I wonder if it has anything to do with browser settings, or whether they only ask for a ZIP code if their geolocation software can’t guess one based on your IP address.”

That’s the store-locator function working. Clearly, the store-locator works by looking up a zip code in a database to suggest nearby store locations. If your actual location is near multiple zip codes, the one you prefer will give you stores that are closest to where you prefer to be. If your geolocation is to a large zip code or not close to the border, they just go ahead and save you the trouble of typing it in.

36. mitch4 Jul 1st 2013 at 07:09 pm 36

Random responses–

–As pointed out, in the U.S. the unit pricing is on the store shelf, not on the packaging. But the nutrition info is on the package labeling, and often is in “per serving” terms. This produces some oddities in their official idea of what constitutes a serving.

–ZIP was an initialism, if you weren’t aware. It stood for Zone Improvement Plan. Many cities did have zones before the advent of ZIP, written between the city and state, thus: “Miami 35, Fla.”. This became “Miami, FL 33135″.

37. Meryl A Jul 2nd 2013 at 02:32 am 37

Thought I posted this about the Arlo & Janis, don’t know where else I did -

This is really good UPS service. Here they just leave the packages on our front step without even ringing the doorbell - even if it’s raining, even if it says signature required, even if it is the day before a school vacation or extended weekend, even if it is ditto and it is raining, even if you live across the street from a bus stop on a 4 lane main road. All of these have happened to us, which is why we will not order anything unless we absolutely have to and will try to have stuff sent by USPS instead of UPS. FedEx is no better. Airborne was even worse they used to drive through the (very small) circular drive and toss the package out the door. There was another company that could not find us, even with directions, because we don’t have a business sign (they were not allowed to look at addresses.)

38. Cidu Bill Jul 2nd 2013 at 03:19 am 38

A few years ago we ordered a new laptop (through Amazon) for my son, and it was delivered in the middle of a snowstorm. And by “delivered,” I mean the UPS never bothered to ring the bell, but left it on the ground about ten feet to the left of our front door.

I didn’t know this until after dinner, when I went to the Amazon site to find out when the laptop was scheduled to be delivered, and saw that it had been delivered at 3:30. It was completely buried, so I had to dig through the snow all around the front door until I hit paydirt.