Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 23, 2013

lol-darkside-silent.gif

lol-chutzpah.png

lolprayer.jpg

lolz.gif

Elyrest:

lol-arlo-elyrest.gif

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dark Side of the Horse, Dave Coverly, Jimmy Johnson, Jump Start, Mark Parisi, New Yorker, Off the Mark, Robb Armstrong, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 23, 2013”

1. captainswift Jun 23rd 2013 at 12:24 am 1

I don’t understand the Arlo and Janis at all.

2. Kamino Neko Jun 23rd 2013 at 12:34 am 2

Arlo sprayed the paper under the litter box with adhesive in order to catch the bits of litter that Luddy knocks out when he uses it. But Luddy got stuck to it instead.

3. Proginoskes Jun 23rd 2013 at 01:39 am 3

I don’t get the New Yorker comic … Aren’t Christians SUPPOSED to give to the poor?

4. Detcord Jun 23rd 2013 at 02:13 am 4

… the deserving poor…
    ;)

5. James Pollock Jun 23rd 2013 at 03:54 am 5

Aren’t Christians ALSO supposed to forgive the undeserving?

6. jjmcgaffey Jun 23rd 2013 at 05:39 am 6

No, it’s because the nun is out beggingcollecting contributions, and he’s asking her for money right there. She hasn’t even gotten to count it and add it to the official intake yet…

7. farmer Jun 23rd 2013 at 08:20 am 7

Those signs in the first one should be installed on every campus.

8. mitch4 Jun 23rd 2013 at 09:06 am 8

The SpeedBump was indeed a good chuckle.

I share the hesitations expressed already about the nun-beggar-bystanders interaction. (Is there any room for doubt over whom the chutzpah is being attributed to?)

This Horse is good, but there was another this week I enjoyed even more — but not as LOL so much as nostalgic cleverness — and that was the “Day in the Life” to-do list. http://www.gocomics.com/darksideofthehorse/2013/06/22

9. Elyrest Jun 23rd 2013 at 11:16 am 9

I’m not sure that I get The New Yorker one either. I’ve never seen a nun beg in the street before. It could play out several ways:

- The bum is begging from the nun who is begging from everybody.
    - The bum was there first and the nun took his place, forcefully, and now he wants his money.
    - The nun was first, but the bum sat in for her. Now that she’s back he wants to be paid.

10. Treesong Jun 23rd 2013 at 11:20 am 10

I think the New Yorker one would have worked better with Santa Claus for the nun. But that’s seasonal.

11. mark d Jun 23rd 2013 at 04:22 pm 11

The nun is collecting alms for the poor, so the poor beggar thinks he ought to get some. But if had some fellow feeling for his poor brethren, he wouldn’t dilute the pot by taking from them. Even a poor person isn’t supposed to take from the poor. To do so takes real chutzpah. Instead he would go elsewhere and ask for handouts from the rich.

12. The Bad Seed Jun 24th 2013 at 08:10 am 12

13. Daniel J. Drazen Jun 24th 2013 at 08:29 am 13

File the Arlo strip under It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time.

14. Elyrest Jun 24th 2013 at 09:38 am 14

“Does “silent majority” qualify for a geezer tag? And does anyone even say that anymore?”

The Bad Seed - I don’t think anyone CAN say it anymore - there isn’t anybody out there who is silent. We all squawk all the time and about everything..

15. Arthur Jun 24th 2013 at 11:44 am 15

For me, the humor was using “chutzpa”, a Yiddish word, to describe something happening to a nun.

16. Mark in Boston Jun 24th 2013 at 05:31 pm 16

Detcord and James Pollock: Yes, because only God knows which are deserving and which are undeserving.

And of course one of those seemingly undeserving people will be Jesus himself in disguise, just so that when you die he can pull that “I was hungry and you fed me not” stunt.

17. mitch4 Jun 24th 2013 at 05:46 pm 17

Well there are a lot of gimmicky devices and re-designs for the litterbox, all the way up to mechanized self-scooping, and filtered forced-air ventilation. But Arlo’s sticky-undermat seems to be original.

18. Elyrest Jun 24th 2013 at 06:44 pm 18

My cat never seems to get litter on the floor, but I’m quite messy when I put dry food in her bowl. Maybe I need sticky stuff under me.

19. Meryl A Jun 27th 2013 at 01:03 am 19

Elyrest - It used to be common to see nuns sitting in subway stations (and sometimes on stair platforms) in the subway, seated just this way, with a plate for donations.

I think the idea is that nuns are suppose to live at the poverty level, so one should not beg from them. Chutzpah used with a nun is the additional humor.