Broccoli

Cidu Bill on Jun 21st 2013

pardon_my_planet20111011_small.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Pardon My Planet, Vic Lee, comic strips, comics, humor | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Broccoli”

1. Ron Jun 21st 2013 at 01:02 am 1

Uh, Bill, shouldn’t that have been placed on the Arlo page?

2. Cidu Bill Jun 21st 2013 at 01:06 am 2

If I understood this enough to know it belongs on the Arlo Page, then it wouldn’t be a CIDU.

3. Mona Jun 21st 2013 at 01:20 am 3

“50 Shades of Broccoli”

4. jjmcgaffey Jun 21st 2013 at 03:02 am 4

Oh. I thought the double entendre was pretty obvious. “You don’t like being spanked, but grownups do. Especially when it’s hot.”

5. Kilby Jun 21st 2013 at 03:50 am 5

I agree with Ron, Mona, and jjmcgaffey - I would have expected this one to be a clear “Arlo” candidate. Call it an ATBDNU.

6. R2T Jun 21st 2013 at 03:51 am 6

seems a pretty obvious Arlo to me .you might not like it now but someday you might be willing to pay people to do it to you.

7. LarryLunts Jun 21st 2013 at 04:28 am 7

Kilby: What’s an ATBDNU?

8. Mark Hood Jun 21st 2013 at 05:14 am 8

Larry - I assume ‘Arlo That Bill Did Not Understand’ :)

9. LarryLunts Jun 21st 2013 at 05:27 am 9

I didn’t understand it, either, other than it might refer to the adult activity of spanking as a form of sexual gratification. But this wouldn’t appear to be a thing that an adult would bring up while spanking a child. In the real world, at least.

10. Judge Mental Jun 21st 2013 at 09:04 am 10

I am with Larry #9 on this one. I didn’t get this one at all and even after having explained, it seems really odd. I *get* the meaning, I just don’t understand why the parent would explain to a child that way nor why the child should be placated even if he understood it. (unless being forced to think about his parents that way is the *real* punishment)

11. Tonya Jun 21st 2013 at 09:38 am 11

This was really skeevy and hard to read. Who the heck says that to their child period but especially while spanking them?? Is there a “totally-inappropriate-call-child-protective-services” tag??

12. Elyrest Jun 21st 2013 at 09:52 am 12

I wouldn’t have gotten this without the explanations. I have to admit, when I first looked at it, I wasn’t sure if the man was talking to his son or his wife. It was the “our age” comment that threw me at first. So I understand it now and, I agree, it is a little skeevy.

13. mitch4 Jun 21st 2013 at 09:56 am 13

Yes, but maybe it will help to consider the full family dynamics. The dad is cast as the disciplinarian (”Just wait till your father gets home!” in very old-fashioned parlance), but really it’s the mom who is adamant on the punishment. So the dad is offering the son some kind of compensating comforting thought — even though what he comes up with is bizarrely over-mature for this child and context.

14. Irene Jun 21st 2013 at 10:39 am 14

it reminded me of this…. still one of my favorite news bloopers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVrAvu4SfA

15. AMC Jun 21st 2013 at 12:15 pm 15

Definitely skeevy.

At least he didn’t yell “who’s your Daddy?” while he was spanking him.

I think Mom, over in the doorway, is looking for a chance to grab the kid and escape to the local women’s shelter.

16. Mona Jun 21st 2013 at 12:26 pm 16

Re. AMC: either that, or she can’t wait to put the kid to bed so Mom & Dan can……….

I do agree with the others that this just ain’t right.

17. Robert Jun 21st 2013 at 02:58 pm 17

Bam! Kick (or spank) it up a notch.

18. New-ish Guy Jun 21st 2013 at 03:09 pm 18

Couldn’t it just be a recipe, and not Arlo at all? I have a recipe (meaning, the Joy of Cooking does) for sauteed cauliflower which incorporates cayenne pepper, and it’s pretty yummy.

19. jayjaybear Jun 21st 2013 at 05:35 pm 19

No, there’s definitely a vibe for a completely different “Joy of” book in this one…

20. Mark in Boston Jun 21st 2013 at 05:46 pm 20

Meanwhile, over in London, “The Register” is reporting on a rather odd government survey of suppliers of information technology.

Quoting from The Register:

Under the heading Social Sustainability, suppliers were asked: “Does your organisation use any form of corporal punishment?”

The options given to suppliers were simply “yes” or “no”, but our contact wanted to reply, “only on request and at the expense of the employee”.

21. Inkwell Jun 22nd 2013 at 02:46 am 21

This creeped me out when I first saw it. Hitting a crying child while making weird double entendres… eh, I’m sure it made someone laugh.

22. Ian Osmond Jun 22nd 2013 at 02:38 pm 22

I thought this was funny when I first read it, but now that others have pointed it out, I’ve switched over to the “creepy and inappropriate” camp.