Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 16, 2013

loleinstein.png

lol-200yards.JPG

Morris Keesan:

frog.jpg

Elyrest:

lolbergerandwyse-elyrest.jpg

Nicole sent this one, adding “Where is Peter Paul and Mary when you need them?” Perhaps somebody can help me with this Comment I Don’t Understand

0-bug.PNG

Filed in Adam Huber, Berger and Wyse, Bug Martini, Calm Blue Oceans, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, In the Bleachers, Jesse Cline, New Yorker, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Schrodinger, Steve Moore, Zach Weiner, cats, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 31 responses so far

31 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 16, 2013”

1. Jeff S. Jun 16th 2013 at 12:12 am 1

I’m reasonably certain the tuna in the can is dead… before AND after you open it.

2. Kevin A Jun 16th 2013 at 12:40 am 2

Given the is-it-or-isn’t-it-there nature of the Schrodinger’s cat idea, I’d like to think it’s P,P&M’s hit single “Too Much of Nothing” which did about as well as a folk song possibly could in 1967. My folksong-loving sister had left for college 4 years earlier so I didn’t really know that song.

3. Kevin A Jun 16th 2013 at 12:43 am 3

(I don’t like to remember that it’s an is-it-alive-or-not question. Could it be I’m not the only one…?)

4. James Pollock Jun 16th 2013 at 01:00 am 4

An interesting question surfaced in Dilbert, of all places. What happens if the cat escapes before the experiment is completed?

5. Proginoskes Jun 16th 2013 at 01:45 am 5

@ Kevin A: I don’t think that the Comment I Don’t Understand is related to that comic, but the Bug one (the next one).

I think the reader was referring to “Leaving On A Jet Plane” (written by John Denver), specifically the couplet “I’m leavin’ on a jet plane/Don’t know when I’ll be back again.”

6. Proginoskes Jun 16th 2013 at 01:47 am 6

@ James Pollock: That’s what happened to a cat in Douglas Adams’s _Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency_; it got tired of being the subject of the experiment, so it ran off.

7. Detcord Jun 16th 2013 at 05:38 am 7

Proginoskes (5)

Bill is indicating he does not understand Nicole’s comment, “Where is Peter Paul and Mary when you need them?”

I don’t understand it either. :(

8. Detcord Jun 16th 2013 at 05:40 am 8

The “Bug” one was funny, and I should think, easy to understand. :)

9. DemetriosX Jun 16th 2013 at 06:18 am 9

I was thinking Nicole meant “Where Has All the Cat Food Gone?”, but that wasn’t Peter, Paul, and Mary, was it?

10. Kilby Jun 16th 2013 at 07:12 am 10

The order of the headlines makes me think that Proginoskes is correct @5, in that Nicole was responsible for the “Bug” submission, although my favorite explanation of the CommentIDU is definitely DemetriosX’s @9.

11. The Bad Seed Jun 16th 2013 at 07:50 am 11

I still can’t figure out the puzzling comment, but in looking through the list of Peter, Paul, and Mary songs to try to figure it out, I learned something I find interesting: “Leaving on A Jet Plane” was actually written by John Denver. I’d love to find a list of hits songs written by other famous artists.

12. Nicole Jun 16th 2013 at 07:58 am 12

Leaving On a Jet Plane … “All my bags are packed ……….”

13. Jeff S. Jun 16th 2013 at 08:54 am 13

“Where Have All the Flowers Gone” was written by Pete Seeger, but versions by Peter, Paul, and Mary and The Kingston’s Trio are well known as well.

14. mitch4 Jun 16th 2013 at 08:54 am 14

Nicole at 12 is likely right. But possibly DemetriosX at 9 — and PP&M did cover “Where have all the flowers gone?” but it was written by Pete Seeger.

15. Lost in A**2 Jun 16th 2013 at 10:06 am 15

The Bad Seed, there are too many of them. I didn’t remember “Too Much of Nothing,” so I went looking: it was written by Bob Dylan. “Bobbi McGee” was written by Kris Kristofferson, but probably everyone knew that. Peggy Lee’s “Crazy” was written by Willie Nelson.

Many of the good singer-songwriters wrote before they sang. And some continued to write for others after they started doing their own songs.

Along that line, Steve Martin wrote for “The Tonight Show.”

16. Elyrest Jun 16th 2013 at 10:24 am 16

Lost in A**2 - Patsy Cline did “Crazy”, but it was written by Willie Nelson.

With the Schrodinger’s cat one, I didn’t think it was about the food being dead or not, but was it there or not. The cat wouldn’t care if it was alive - it would play with it until it was dead. It also ties in well with a cat being neither inside a door or out.

17. Cidu Bill Jun 16th 2013 at 11:02 am 17

“Nicole at 12 is likely right,” Mitch4? It was her comment.

Then again, per this site’s rules for cartoonists, maybe she shouldn’t have been allowed to explain.

(Thumbs up on the comment now that I understand it, by the way)

18. turquoisecow Jun 16th 2013 at 12:44 pm 18

that first comic made me laugh so hard. so thanks for that. :)

19. Keera Jun 16th 2013 at 01:43 pm 19

Bug was delightful. I love creativity and originality - and funny as well.

The first comic made me think of the other thing men do when they become fathers: They call minding their own children baby-sitting.

20. Brent Jun 16th 2013 at 01:44 pm 20

I’m with mitch4 @14… it may Nicole’s comment, but Leaving on a Jet Plane is about leaving someone, and they’ve clearly gone on vacation together. Packing and taking a jet aren’t exactly uncommon things in either case. So it only feels “likely right” at best. We need a bit more, like “All my bags are packed by a five year old” and “I’ve leaving on a jet plane, the TSA is trying to take my train”.

21. John in Tronna Jun 16th 2013 at 02:15 pm 21

I’m not sure what you are all talking about at all — I can’t see the original comment that started off the discussion about 60s-era folksongs… :(

22. Elyrest Jun 16th 2013 at 02:44 pm 22

John in Tronna - It’s not a comment here. It was the comment included with the Bug comic when Nicole sent it to Bill. Look just above the last comic to see what Bill wrote.

23. Dave in Boston Jun 16th 2013 at 03:47 pm 23

Zach Weiner’s been reading the xkcd what-if blog, hasn’t he.

(Also, bull. Humans have a lot more mass than frogs, last I checked, so even if you assume magic is bound by the rules of physics, which is kind of silly, the transformation would be endothermic, not exothermic.)

24. Judge Mental Jun 16th 2013 at 07:32 pm 24

Even with Nicole pointing me directly to the specific song and reacquainting myself with the lyrics, I don’t understand the citation. Is the mere point that both have to do with plane travel the connection?

25. Kevin A Jun 16th 2013 at 08:02 pm 25

@Proginoskes
    Oh, right. Thanks. My brain was aching after *that* thought experiment which I apparently made up myself.

26. Proginoskes Jun 17th 2013 at 12:31 am 26

@ The Bad Seed (11): Yeah, I wrote that in my post already.

27. Kamino Neko Jun 17th 2013 at 02:22 pm 27

Dave - gah, yes, that bugged me, too.

28. Mona Jun 17th 2013 at 03:43 pm 28

I’m a day late here, but thanks to Brent @#20 for the great lyrics!

29. Meryl A Jun 20th 2013 at 01:07 am 29

Re songs by famous people - among millions of others - My Way was written by Paul Anka. Oh wait, everyone thinks it was, but he just wrote the English lyrics. A client of my dads, a Frenchman, Claude Francois wrote the music and the original French lyric. In France Claude was an extremely well known singer.

30. Meryl A Jun 27th 2013 at 01:13 am 30

The one with the baby - Is that suppose to be like “By the Power of Greyskull”? This I am sure is a geezer thing, but kids my youngest sister’s age used to watch a show where this was a saying.

31. Lost in A**2 Jun 27th 2013 at 05:58 am 31

Yes, Meryl, the comic is a reference to the “He Man” cartoons.