Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 9, 2013

lol-flight-rhymes-price.gif

lol-arlo-strange-dream.gif

lol-xo.jpg

lol-darkside-4x4.giflol-bug-oil.png

Morris Keesan:

lol-bait.jpg

Filed in Adam Huber, Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Bug Martini, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dark Side of the Horse, Hilary B. Price, Jimmy Johnson, New Yorker, Non Sequitur, Rhymes With Orange, Rubes, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 38 responses so far

38 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 9, 2013”

1. Proginoskes Jun 9th 2013 at 12:36 am 1

Re The Dark Side of the Horse:

My Dad worked with a guy who had a 4×4 truck. Dad came up with the idea of taking a piece of cardboard, cutting out the symbols “=16″ from it, and then spraying the front side with day-glow paint. Then he’d walk up to the guy’s owner and say: “I just created a mathematical equation!”

(Dad is an engineer, for those of you who think this is a SIDU.)

2. Jeff S. Jun 9th 2013 at 12:46 am 2

Bubba’s jersey number should have been 77 or 78 (assuming it’s Bubba Smith).

3. Bill A Jun 9th 2013 at 06:25 am 3

Thanks to Proginoskes (#1) for actually explaining Dark Horse to me. I looked at the blackboard and read it as “4 times 4″ instead of “4 by 4.” And now the strip makes sense. Again…thanks.

4. mitch4 Jun 9th 2013 at 07:25 am 4

A couple of these are great examples of the kick of delayed clarity, where you have to take a moment (or even a while) to get it at all, and it benefits as funnier in the end. For me, both the Horse and the Non-Seq were like that (and I wasn’t even trying to make him a oparticular Bubba).

But I’m afraid I just haven’t cracked the Speed Bump. Help?

5. Kamino Neko Jun 9th 2013 at 07:35 am 5

The ants have plumber’s crack.

6. The Bad Seed Jun 9th 2013 at 07:36 am 6

Mitch4 - Note the “plumber’s crack” on the “plumber ants”. I guess it does help if you know that there really are “carpenter ants”, too, that it’s not something made-up.

7. mitch4 Jun 9th 2013 at 07:53 am 7

Aha, thanks!

8. lihtox Jun 9th 2013 at 08:26 am 8

I think “Extreme Tic-Tac-Toe” might be fun to play! A great idea. :)

9. UXO Jun 9th 2013 at 08:26 am 9

@mitch4 You didn’t get the “plumber’s crack” part of the joke… yet you used “crack” referring to it?

mind = blown

10. mitch4 Jun 9th 2013 at 08:36 am 10

Uxo #9 Hmm, must be some kind of deep unconscious reasoning, or “priming”.

Not to go on much farther with this one panel, I actually dn’t understand the role of the guardian bug (beetle?) and the ants’ interaction with him. Does he want to block or admit carpenter ants? Or is he just taking names and species?

11. Powers Jun 9th 2013 at 08:44 am 11

I think it’s just some bug (ladybug) that was wandering by and said “Say, are you two carpenter ants?”, vaudeville-style.

12. Bob in Nashville Jun 9th 2013 at 08:49 am 12

The guarding bug looks kind of like a ladybug. Known to eat the bugs that eat plants.

13. Pirk Jun 9th 2013 at 11:02 am 13

Arlo and Janis is a cidu for me

14. LarryLunts Jun 9th 2013 at 11:22 am 14

Janis is jealous. Out of all the bizarre elements in Arlo’s dream, the only thing she picked up on is that there was another woman.

15. Morris Keesan Jun 9th 2013 at 11:55 am 15

What exactly is a “four by four”? I know that it refers to some kind of truck, but why is it called that, and what distinguishes it from any other pickup truck?

16. Chakolate Jun 9th 2013 at 12:14 pm 16

Thanks to those who explained the ants and the Dark Side. I, too, was trying to figure out why ‘16′ would make a truck crash through your wall. And I wondered why the ants had butt cracks - I thought one ant was telling another ant that the pink-coated insect was a plumber ant.

Hey, cut me some slack, okay? I’m just getting over some virus that gave me a high fever for two days. I think it fried my brain a little. Yesterday I told a student that “seven plus one is five, right?”

17. Bob in Nashville Jun 9th 2013 at 12:18 pm 17

Morris Keesan@15, It means 4-wheel drive.

18. Morris Keesan Jun 9th 2013 at 12:28 pm 18

If two of the segments in your seven-segment LCD are defective, then seven plus one could equal five. I’m feeling too lazy to try to illustrate this in text form.
    I’m a geezer: I remember when that kind of display was brand-new state of the art in calculators and digital clocks.

19. Morris Keesan Jun 9th 2013 at 12:29 pm 19

Okay, Bob, then how does a “4×4″ differ from a Subaru sedan?

20. mitch4 Jun 9th 2013 at 12:35 pm 20

Here’s a little Wikipedia extract on that:

In abbreviations such as 4×4, the first figure is normally the total wheels (more precisely, axle ends, which may have multiple wheels), and the second, the number that are powered. 4×2 means a four-wheel vehicle that transmits engine power to only two axle-ends: the front two in front-wheel drive or the rear two in rear-wheel drive.[5] By this system, a six wheeled military transport truck would be a 6×6, while the typical American semi-truck tractor unit having two drive axles and a single unpowered steering axle would be a 6×4.

(From “four wheel drive” article.)

21. mitch4 Jun 9th 2013 at 12:42 pm 21

Morris #18, on those displays. It was a popular diversion then, and somehow survives to today, to get those numeric displays to spell works based on the glyphs resembling letters as well as the intended digits. Thus 0.7734, upside down, was “hello”.

22. Dave in Boston Jun 9th 2013 at 01:48 pm 22

Morris Keesan: the difference between “AWD” (which usually has a very 4-looking A) and a real 4×4 has to do with the gearing of the axles and the resulting power distribution; I forget exactly what and I’m too lazy to go look it up right now, but hopefully someone else will.

23. Bells-and-Motley Jun 9th 2013 at 04:01 pm 23

If “Extreme Tic-Tac-Toe” were a real thing, I would SO watch it.

24. Bells-and-Motley Jun 9th 2013 at 04:05 pm 24

mitch4 #21, My sense of humor didn’t develop much beyond the seventh grade. This is why I like to go into office-supply stores and enter 5318008 on the calculators and then turn them upside-down on the display rack.

25. James Pollock Jun 9th 2013 at 04:11 pm 25

Dave, it’s all in the Wikipedia article mitch4 quoted from.

More detail than you could possibly need.
    The short answer is that AWD is optimized for on-road use, while 4WD is designed for off-road use, and both may properly use the terms “4×4″ and “four-wheel drive” to describe themselves.

26. Chakolate Jun 9th 2013 at 04:29 pm 26

Morris @ 18: Thank you, but I was just a little off, that’s all. A little more than usual, I mean.

I’m a geezer too, although geezer has a ‘male’ connotation, for me at least. I usually refer to myself as a ‘granny’. But I also remember those clocks, and the calculators that if you put in 58008 and turned it upside-down you had spelled out ‘boobs’. If you saw a bunch of boys giggling over a calculator, that was what the screen said.

27. Jeff S. Jun 9th 2013 at 07:57 pm 27

I’m lost as to why the topic took a right turn and we started talking about calculator screens.

As to “Extreme Tic-Tac-Toe”, I’m pretty sure Fox has that on their fall line-up. lol!

28. Morris Keesan Jun 9th 2013 at 08:08 pm 28

Jeff S. #27, that was my fault: in my comment #18, I was trying to explain how Chakolate’s “7 + 1 = 5″ could work, with a strategic defect in a calculator display.

29. Jeff S. Jun 9th 2013 at 08:16 pm 29

Ahhh… ok. I missed that part of her previous comment. Now things make sense. Well, as much sense as this site allows. :D

30. lgchrist Jun 10th 2013 at 02:09 pm 30

Years ago I read a book on cartooning by a famous cartoonist (in the fog of my memories I think it was the great Sid Hoff). He said that the perfect one pannel cartoon makes the reader want to know what happens the moment after the pannel. I always felt that Charles Addams was the best at this concept. To me, the Non Sequitur in this collection is one of those perfect cartoons.

31. Pinny Jun 10th 2013 at 05:18 pm 31

“There was a war. There were 142 US tanks.”
    {Display reads “142″}
    “There were 154 Canadian tanks.”
    {Display reads “142154″}
    “There were 69 Shell Oil tanks.”
    {Display reads “14215469″}
    “The war lasted 5 years.”
    {Display reads “5″}
    “Who won?”

32. Pinny Jun 10th 2013 at 05:22 pm 32

[Bill the original post used some brackets that hid part of my message, making it unintelligible. Please delete it. Thanks]

[Take out a calculator.]
    “There was a war. There were 142 US tanks.”
    [Enter 142.] {Display reads “142″}
    “There were 154 Canadian tanks.”
    [Enter 154.] {Display reads “142154″}
    “There were 69 Shell Oil tanks.”
    [Enter 69.] {Display reads “14215469″}
    “The war lasted 5 years.”
    [Press the ‘times’ key and enter 5.] {Display reads “5″}
    “Who won?”
    [Press the ‘equals’ key and turn the calculator over.]

33. Todd Jun 11th 2013 at 05:06 am 33

Would the Non Sequitur have worked as well or maybe better if the guy hadn’t been dressed in a football uniform?

34. Lost in A**2 Jun 11th 2013 at 06:40 am 34

No, then he wouldn’t have been a Tackle.

35. Morris Keesan Jun 11th 2013 at 10:58 am 35

I didn’t interpret the football costume as indicating that the guy was a Tackle, just that he was going to tackle the baitee. I think that the Non Sequitur wouldn’t work at all without the costume, because there would be no reason to associate the hiding guy with the word “tackle”, either as a verb or as a noun.

36. Detcord Jun 11th 2013 at 03:45 pm 36

So, “Shell Oil” wins again… Sorry, I didn’t bother using Pinny’s numbers as I couldn’t get them to show upside-down (in the seconds I allotted myself). Also, I just knew you guys wanted an answer.

37. Mark in Boston Jun 11th 2013 at 06:30 pm 37

Five-Hell Oil

38. Meryl A Jun 12th 2013 at 12:53 am 38

We had 4 wheel drive in my Blazer S10 and all wheel drive in our second Astro Van. I had to put the Blazer in 4WD by pushing a button (and a second one for low 4 wheel drive) and then push the button to take it back out. The AWD in the Astro was automatic. It kicked in as needed for the wheels slipping, but it did not have a low drive (not sure if drive the correct term). We then had a Pilot (I am spitting as I write this) which claimed to have 4WD but had some kind of hybrid.

Another difference is - our reenactment unit has a utility trailer. We had/have very few people who are set up to tow it to events. Husband decided we should be able to do so and the unit paid for a tow hitch for us on the Astro. Husband, who over analyzes everything, reads up on what to do when towing. First time we are towing it is to take the trailer to an event the night before an event. We were all suppose to set up then, and the regular tower was bringing his period repro boat to put in the lake at the event. Husband tows it there, no problem, I follow in our Blazer as he is going to leave the Astro. There is a big threat of rain and we cannot set up. We leave the trailer. It did rain, the event was canceled, and the next day we go and tow it back to the unit headquarters, a 1700’s building adjacent to the Village Green, with a huge driveway next between the building and the Green that is really a street. So husband goes to back it up for the first time, and ends up stuck in the Green up to the door of the Astro (at which point he asks me to “fix it”) He had been unnerved with the traffic in the driveway and pulled over into the Green to straighten out. We had to have the AAA tow it out and they had to do so by towing the trailer. (What’s in there, oh camping stuff, tables, pots, tents, …cannon…, you know, stuff.) We had both forgotten that the Green is located where it is as there was a spring, which now flows underground and makes the entire area into mud at the slightest rain, which it had done all night.

The problem apparently was that he had turned the wheel. Had we had the Blazer instead it would have towed the trailer through the mud without the same problem.

I promised him we would laugh about it one day, and we do. BTW there are only 3 of us who have tried to tow (myself included) who have not gotten the trailer stuck on the Green in one way or another.