A Few Notes About Submissions

Cidu Bill on Jun 7th 2013

• Quite often somebody sends me something from a very popular comic like Doonesbury, Dilbert or Arlo and Janis, commenting “I’m sure a lot of people have already sent you this.” I’d say 95% of the time, nobody else has sent it to me. Because everybody assumes somebody else has.

Whereas if it’s a lesser-known comic, I’m likely to have three or four or more people send me the same thing.

The lesson here is clear, I think.

• Several people recently have asked me this about “synchronicity” strips: if one strip went online new today, and a very similar “rerun” strip went online today, does it count? Tough call, but I’m going with “yes.”

Please remember that synchronicity doesn’t just mean some similar elements: it requires two (or more) comics running a startlingly similar gag on the same day. Two strips showing mosquitoes don’t make the cut. Two strips showing mosquitoes dancing the Macarena do.

And of course the bar for Santa gags is a lot higher in December than it is in June.

• If you send in multiple LOL’s or Ewww’s, I’ll usually spread them out over several weekends. Likewise, if you send, say, a Speed Bump, and I already have a Speed Bump on that weekend’s page, yours will be… well, bumped.
  • If you’re new here, please read the FAQ before sending anything.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, FAQ | 8 responses so far

8 Responses to “A Few Notes About Submissions”

1. Winter Wallaby Jun 7th 2013 at 11:36 pm 1

What’s the lesson? That we should all focus more on sending in very popular comics, so that you can get them multiple times? And only rarely send in lesser-known comics, possibly with notes saying “I’m sure a lot of people have sent you this lesser-known comic.”?

2. Cidu Bill Jun 8th 2013 at 01:05 am 2

Okay, I guess the lesson could have been a wee bit clearer. I meant that if everybody assumes somebody else is sending a comic, it’s very likely nobody will at all.

3. yellojkt Jun 8th 2013 at 09:44 am 3

It’s like the beauty queen without a date to the prom. Everybody assumes someone else has already asked her.

4. jjmcgaffey Jun 8th 2013 at 11:58 am 4

So the lesson is - if you think it belongs on CIDU, send it. Even if it shows up a lot of times, that’s better than it not showing up at all.

5. farmer Jun 8th 2013 at 12:09 pm 5

I wonder about this phenomenon and 911 calls sometimes. Is there any change in how accidents or roadside concerns are reported with the ubiquity of cell phones? I.e. does it sometimes take longer for something to be called in because everyone assumes someone already has (and don’t want to overload the system reporting the same thing 20 times), or is there always that person who always calls things in no matter what?

6. Winter Wallaby Jun 8th 2013 at 01:57 pm 6

farmer #5: I don’t know about 911 calls specifically, but there’s a fair amount of social psychology experiments showing that having more people makes assisting or reporting problems less likely. Experiments here

7. mitch4 Jun 8th 2013 at 03:29 pm 7

The research WW references harks back to analyses of the real case in 1960s Queens, NYC, and is why many of us who remember that still call it “Kitty Genovese syndrome.” I’m sure researchers have found another name, just as they would like the public to get over saying “Stockholm Syndrome” for yet another discomforting behavioral pattern.

(Now that I check WW’s link, they bring up the history right away.)

8. Cidu Bill Jun 8th 2013 at 11:17 pm 8

Well, Jim, it won’t actually show up here a lot of time: it’ll just take up more space in my inbox. Which is okay.