Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 2, 2013

Cidu Bill on Jun 2nd 2013

lol-bizarro-baggage.gif
lol-warning-rhymes.giflol-speedbump-covely-gowns.gif

Morris Keesan wrote “I’m not even remotely a sports fan, but Leo’s ‘zone defense’ comment got a laugh from me.” Fact is, neither am I; but 20-odd years ago, when my son was in a neighborhood playgroup, I suggested we parents use zone defense to keep an eye on all the kids.

zone.jpg
D.P. Wally:

newyorker-bikes.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bizarro, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dave Coverly, Doonesbury, G.B. Trudeau, Hilary B. Price, New Yorker, Rhymes With Orange, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 33 responses so far

33 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, June 2, 2013”

1. mitch4 Jun 2nd 2013 at 12:23 am 1

Yes, the Doonesbury is kinda touching.

For those who worry about dating the ancient scanned New Yorker cartoons, rest easy, as this cover is from the current issue.

2. Kilby Jun 2nd 2013 at 12:44 am 2

@ mitch4 - I don’t need to have everything dated, but sometimes the date helps understand the cartoon. Not this one, here the problem is the expression on the bicyclist’s face (is that “happy”, or “apprehensive”??). You did an excellent job with “Books” - could you explain this cartoon, too?

3. Proginoskes Jun 2nd 2013 at 01:08 am 3

@ mitch4: And that lets me know that the New Yorker has finally hit upon an OLD OLD idea.

4. James Pollock Jun 2nd 2013 at 01:16 am 4

Why is there one stationary bike between the two treadmills?

5. Cidu Bill Jun 2nd 2013 at 01:34 am 5

Kilby, I’ll make every effort to include the date on any older New Yorker cartoons

6. Cidu Bill Jun 2nd 2013 at 01:41 am 6

Proginoskes, New York City just kicked off a program where they’re letting people borrow bikes (sort of like Zip Car for two-wheeled vehicles). The rack on the cover is one of theirs, making the illustration very current.

7. farmer Jun 2nd 2013 at 04:30 am 7

Bill #6,

Isn’t the point of the New Yorker that some people will pay to exercise no matter how many cheaper options are available? I guess if that’s a reference to a bike-share program it’s all the more funny/poignant because now the city’s even providing the bikes for free.

Seems like a Jef Mallet crossover comic.

8. minorannoyance Jun 2nd 2013 at 05:04 am 8

My niece lived in a neighborhood where a fitness center had all the bikes facing inward, presenting a less than edifying view to pedestrians. She toyed with the idea of bringing her easel and setting up to paint a broad canvas of the spectacle, just to see how they’d react.

9. Catlover Jun 2nd 2013 at 07:43 am 9

Perhaps we read into the New Yorker whatever we want to. There is a large parking lot where I go to exercise; I am unique in parking far away from the door to get the extra exercise; everyone else fights for the spot near the front door. But I can’t be proud - there are a bold few who bike to the club to exercise there. However, rain, snow, heat and other factors make being inside and exercycling more pleasant than being outside.

10. The Bad Seed Jun 2nd 2013 at 07:53 am 10

For anyone who doesn’t have a Facebook friend who’s a New Yorker, a bicycle enthusiast (logs 500 miles a month), and is disproportionately proud to be a “founding member” of the Citibike program (he was in a total panic when he still hadn’t received his membership card 2 days before launch), this article has a photo of their signature docking stations, as shown in the cartoon: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/citibike-reviews-bike-share-pros-cons.html

11. mitch4 Jun 2nd 2013 at 08:22 am 11

I hadn’t realized that was a Citibike rack (thanks for that illumination!), which makes the cover mostly a topical observation of the “modern scene”. Previously I was trying to puzzle something out from the particular expressions, or if the blond guy inside has his beard tucked in his headband.

But then I settled into taking it as a gentle irony — if the people parking bikes in the outside rack came there as a destination, to exercise on the stationary bikes, well then couldn’t they just ride the real bike around some more? [Prog, is that the OLD, OLD idea you meant?] And even with the topical fillip of those being rent-a-bikes, the mildly ironic faceoff seems to still be the dominant point of humor.

12. Elyrest Jun 2nd 2013 at 08:30 am 12

Thanks, The Bad Seed, the picture does bring the cover picture an added up to date. I don’t live anywhere near the metro-NY area and this wasn’t on my radar at all. I hope the programs works out.

13. Colleen Jun 2nd 2013 at 09:21 am 13

Of course, bikeshare bikes are actually meant transit, not fitness, but that would ruin the joke.

(They’re not particularly fast, and you only “borrow” them for 30 minutes at a time.)

14. Ledasmom Jun 2nd 2013 at 10:32 am 14

I’ve seen the joke in the “Doonesbury” strip before, can’t remember where (it wasn’t as good a strip as “Doonesbury”). The joke there was sports fan dads: “With one you can double-team them, with two you go one-on-one but after that you have to go with the zone defense.”
    It is of course an obvious joke, given the premise of applying sports metaphors to parenting, though I cannot help wondering if hockey would be a better model.

15. Carl Jun 2nd 2013 at 11:16 am 15

@farmer, the city is not providing free bikes, just cheap ones. I think it’s $10/day. [does web search] OK, it’s that, or $95 for a yearly pass. No trip over 45 minutes or pay a financial penalty but you can in principle just “dock” the bike and then check it out again if no one is waiting.

16. farmer Jun 2nd 2013 at 12:36 pm 16

Carl, that makes sense, but doesn’t change the joke. That’s still way cheaper than a fitness club.

17. Chakolate Jun 2nd 2013 at 01:45 pm 17

Catlover@9, I respectfully disagree. I’ve ridden in all those conditions, and it’s still better than a stationary bike. Tons better.

18. Cidu Bill Jun 2nd 2013 at 01:52 pm 18

In case anybody’s interested, a article about the New Yorker cover

19. Wendy Jun 2nd 2013 at 03:17 pm 19

I was a playground one day with my son, and there was a birthday party for some 2 year old triplets. The parents and grandparents were there, and I heard them say “Do we want to do 1-on-1 coverage or zone defense?” I was amused then, and still am.

20. Wendy Jun 2nd 2013 at 03:18 pm 20

Oh, and the airport one really made me LOL. I guess because I’ve been flying recently.

21. Powers Jun 2nd 2013 at 04:06 pm 21

@Ledasmom: Was it “Rose Is Rose”? Sounds like a joke they’d make, and they’ve got three kids.

22. James Pollock Jun 2nd 2013 at 04:12 pm 22

Rose and Jimbo only have one child, Pasquale; he has two cousins, Clem and Mimi.

23. fj Jun 2nd 2013 at 05:16 pm 23

@Ledasmom

Baby Blues has used the “zone defense” joke at least twice…
    (Note: For some reason, the Baby Blues site seems to take forever to load)

24. Lost in A**2 Jun 2nd 2013 at 11:11 pm 24

(That ‘take forever to load’ thing is why Baby Blues has dropped off my reading list. It’s bad enough when I’m reading every day, but if I get behind, it’s just not worth the time to catch up.)

25. Jeff S. Jun 2nd 2013 at 11:13 pm 25

Both links posted above loaded pretty fast for me… but I don’t visit the site enough to judge.

26. Stan Jun 3rd 2013 at 01:53 am 26

To stir up the pot a little, what’s the quality of those rented bikes like? They had this up and running in Finland when I lived there over 10 years ago, but the bikes were built in a ‘chunky’ style. They were rather heavy, and you couldn’t go very fast on them. This was done on purpose so people wouldn’t be tempted to steal them. It would be difficult to get a proper or enjoyable work-out on one of those things, making a gym far more tempting.

However, I do agree with farmer @7 who said that the point of of the comic is ‘that some people will pay to exercise no matter how many cheaper options are available’.

27. The Bad Seed Jun 3rd 2013 at 06:54 am 27

Stan #26 - “Clunky” was indeed one of the primary words my friend used to describe the bikes, but - as a New Yorker without a car - he’s still over the moon about them. He immediately and ecstatically posted to Facebook when he was able to get bike #0000002, providing a link to the Citibike promotional web page starring that exact bike in a photo at the top. Of course, the true love of his life is his folding bike, which I can’t imagine is the smoothest ride ever, either.

28. Dan W Jun 3rd 2013 at 08:37 am 28

James Pollock #4 - It could be my local YMCA. The arrangement of all the equipment seems to be based on whatever order it was brought to the room, so different types of equipment are all mixed up together.

29. jajizi Jun 4th 2013 at 12:51 am 29

This site for Baby Blues loads fast for me: http://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/babyblues/

30. J-L Jun 4th 2013 at 02:15 pm 30

If you like the magician-themed Bizarro comic, here’s another magician-themed comic you might enjoy:

31. Meryl A Jun 6th 2013 at 01:38 am 31

To use the bikes in NYC you have to sign up for the program, so I would think if you “overkeep” the bike in a permanent manner, they will find you.

This is of course an effort by Mayor Nanny, er, Bloomberg to help people exercise while traveling place to place (and then when people do they will raise the MTA fares to make up what they lost in bus/subway trips). Mayor Bloomberg works so hard to make sure everyone eats healthy. Then why was he on a Travel channel show on the best burgers in NYC eating a huge fatty fried burger at some restaurant that had much more fat, fries, and burger roll than fast food places.

For awhile husband and I would ride our bikes for exercise, but to do so we had to put them in our van and drive them to a park. That reminds me, it used to be a lot more common to see people on the NYC subway with their bikes, maybe we’ll see people taking the Citibank bikes on the subway to another area too.

Meryl A

32. UXO Jun 6th 2013 at 06:59 am 32

Stan@26: You seem to be labouring under the same misapprehension as so many cyclists I see: you *do* understand that the quality of the workout is proportional to how hard you work, not how fast you go, right? A “clunky” bike that doesn’t go fast is great for a workout. A high-zoot carbon fibre jobbie that weighs about the same as a gnat’s fart is great for going fast - but unless you’re in the Tour de France, you’re probably not getting as good a workout as you would on the clunker.

33. Inkwell Jun 6th 2013 at 07:14 am 33

Stan@26 renders as an email link. XD This is irrelevant, but it amused me.