Saturday Morning Ewww - June 1, 2013

Cidu Bill on Jun 1st 2013

Ed Rush:

ewww-popcorn-pardon.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Ewww, Pardon My Planet, Vic Lee, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Saturday Morning Ewww - June 1, 2013”

1. Kilby Jun 1st 2013 at 12:11 am 1

It would appear that even the popcorn does not help.

P.S. The substances that this guy emitted seem to have a truly remarkable rate of diffusion, just a second after the door was opened, the man standing 20 feet away is already holding his nose.

2. Detcord Jun 1st 2013 at 05:03 am 2

Kilby: It may be that the man standing 20 feet away is expressing tribal behavior. He notes his colleagues behavior and imitates them. You are right to note that the cause of his colleagues behavior could not have reached him so soon though.

3. fj Jun 1st 2013 at 07:24 am 3

Re: Insufficient time for diffusion of dispersion of fumes

Office men’s room’s doors don’t provide and air tight seal. Perhaps the odiferous clouds of doom preceded him.

4. mitch4 Jun 1st 2013 at 08:40 am 4

Could somebody please explain the theory behind lighting a match? Is the particular smell of the ignition chemistry in striking the match thought to be well “tuned” to neutralizing or effectively masking the bodily digestive odors? Or that any very strong but not totally unpleasant smell would serve the purpose of masking? Or is it even possible that the flame would be igniting and consuming (removing) the methane in the effluvium?? (Would that entail a noticeable explosion?)

5. Powers Jun 1st 2013 at 09:21 am 5

I always thought it was consuming the methane.

6. Bob Ball Jun 1st 2013 at 09:23 am 6

I’m not assuming his own smells preceded him out the door, but that he truly microwaved popcorn to death and beyond. My experience around homes and offices is that burning popcorn in a microwave oven is a fairly frequent occurrence, and that its unpleasant smell can fill space rapidly. And I’ve wondered too what lighting a match does to reduce or eliminate the smell of a fart or BM. Igniting methane wouldn’t help; that’s odorless. Igniting hydrogen sulfide would, I suppose. But maybe the sulfur dioxide momentarily dulls our odor receptors.

7. 1958Fury Jun 1st 2013 at 09:36 am 7

Yeah, burning popcorn is noxious. Happens occasionally where I work, and the employee reaction is about what’s pictured here.

At one office I worked at, some prankster once put popcorn in the microwave on his way out the door, setting it to run for a very long time. It burned so badly it actually damaged the microwave, and the reek was incredible.

8. Elyrest Jun 1st 2013 at 10:24 am 8

Some work places have banned microwave popcorn because of the smell. The burnt smell is awful, but the regular smell is not that far behind to me. I’m not sure why the burning match works, but it does in most instances. I wish my Dad had known this one when I was a kid.

9. Bob in Nashville Jun 1st 2013 at 10:26 am 9

I always assumed the idea behind the match was that the sulfur fumes would overpower any other stench.

My standard reply to, “Pew! Somebody strike a match,” has always been, “Don’t! It’ll explode.”

10. Elyrest Jun 1st 2013 at 11:19 am 10

Even robots know - “Don’t fire. Don’t light a match.” This scene from the movie Short Circuit at about 1:40 into the scene.

11. Targuman Jun 1st 2013 at 12:05 pm 11

MythBusters tackled this. A summary from The Enthusiast:

However, a 2006 Mythbusters episode [48] claimed to debunk the theory that matches neutralise offensive odours. The team isolated hydrogen sulphide and methyl mercaptan separately in small sealed flasks, in which they then set off matches by remote control. The Mythbusters found no difference in the concentration of either H2S or CH4S before and after lighting the match.
    When they enlisted researcher John Hunt to actually smell – and rate – the offensiveness of each gas, he found the match ignition made no difference to his perceptions of H2S, but reduced the smell of CH4S by half. The Mythbusters concluded that the smell of the match being lit and then burning masks our perception of the odours, rather than the match neutralising the gases.

12. farmer Jun 1st 2013 at 12:06 pm 12

One of the driving factors behind my wife’s leaving her office job was the repeated microwaving of various nasty-smelling processed foods in the shared office space, the fumes of which nauseated her to no end.

13. guero Jun 1st 2013 at 05:10 pm 13

Back when I used to work, burning popcorn in the microwave was a bi-monthly event. Occasionally it would even set off the alarm system, and we’d have to evacuate the building until the fire department showed up. The company eventually bought a popcorn machine (a small scale version of the ones you see in movie theaters.)

As for lighting a match, when I was a mere pup my grandmother would cook chitllins (my grandfather was the last of a dying breed of country doctors who was often paid with a hog or chickens.) Anyway, the smell is …indescribable. It would permeate the entire house, but if we complained she would light a match and declare, “There, that will mask the smell.” Hah! Nothing could mask that smell.

14. Mark in Boston Jun 1st 2013 at 06:24 pm 14

I LOVE burned microwave popcorn! When I smell that smell I run as fast as I can to the break room yelling “DON’T THROW IT AWAY! DON’T THROW IT AWAY!”

15. The Bad Seed Jun 2nd 2013 at 07:24 am 15

I have a peculiar sensitivity and revulsion to the smell of anything burned, including the smell of crumbs burning in the bottom of the unemptied toaster at work, and a hypersensitive sense of smell in general. However, I grew up on a horse farm, and am not bothered whatsoever by the smell of horse, cow, or even pig manure, even though I’d rather not smell any of them 24/7. But the smell of gaseous or fecal emissions from a dog or a human being is a whole different thing, so I appreciate any efforts to hide them, even stinky, awful bathroom spray.