The Runner

Cidu Bill on May 19th 2013

runner.jpg

My only guess is that this is the most bizarre imaginable “tribute” to the Boston Marathon victims.

Filed in B.C., Bill Bickel, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 8 responses so far

8 Responses to “The Runner”

1. Stan May 19th 2013 at 04:15 am 1

Although close to a year out, it sounds more to me like a tribute to disabled athletes in the paralympics.

2. Kamino Neko May 19th 2013 at 07:17 am 2

Honestly, it sounds more like it’s about Oscar Pistorius, except a) the Olympics were a year ago, and b) he’s since been charged with murder, so…uh…really bad choice if it is, really, really unfortunately written if it isn’t.

3. Mike D May 19th 2013 at 08:38 am 3

I agree with Stan (#1), except that I would tie it to the Warrior Games that just ended last Thursday. Also, don’t fail to notice who’s writing it (and his right leg).

4. John Small Berries May 19th 2013 at 10:12 am 4

Isn’t he the only character given to sitting under a tree and writing doggerel, though?

5. Kaiser-Bill May 19th 2013 at 03:36 pm 5

Wow. Inscrutably written and with badly spaced meter. “Our crippled shame”? Drowned-out speakers? Unappeased fear?

I’m scared.

:-(

6. captainswift May 19th 2013 at 04:45 pm 6

The image of a runner with artificial legs is pretty iconic, I thought. Not just Oscar Pistorius, but several individuals who have worked to become competitive runners despite the lack of legs. I think this strip is just meant to be a general tribute to the concept of overcoming a disability in such a dramatic way, rather than specifically referencing an event.

7. BoT May 20th 2013 at 12:09 pm 7

This is as bizarre as anything Johnny Hart was coming up with in his last curmudgeonly years. I have no idea what it means. Bravo!

8. Cidu Bill May 21st 2013 at 04:36 pm 8

Even if this wasn’t reference to the Boston Marathon, it had to have been submitted just a week or so after it — which would have shown horrific judgment, especially given how may people lost their legs that day.