Sunday Funnies: LOL, May 12, 2013

William Cohen-Kiraly:

nofunnystuff.jpg

Morris Keesan:

fbedeb.jpg

Elyrest:

rhewsus.gif

Filed in Adam Huber, Bill Bickel, Bizaro, Bug Martini, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dark Side of the Horse, Harry Bliss, Hilary B. Price, John Deering, Lio, Mark Tatulli, New Yorker, Rhymes With Orange, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Strange Brew, Zach Weiner, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, May 12, 2013”

1. The Vicar May 12th 2013 at 03:21 am 1

Yeah, and then a big bowl of Ape Guts cereal.

2. PeterW May 12th 2013 at 03:44 am 2

Not sure I get what the cartoonist is going for with Mt Rushmore Teddy Roosevelt crashing onto the road.

3. Proginoskes May 12th 2013 at 03:57 am 3

@ PeterW: TR’s ride *down* San Juan Hill, maybe?

4. DemetriosX May 12th 2013 at 06:29 am 4

SMBC didn’t really work for me, since I’ve never heard Fourier pronounced as anything other than (an approximation of) the French way. Does anybody who knows what Fourier transforms are actually say “Four-ee-er”?

The Bizarro was all right, but the fact that he had to add “in the bathroom” to make the joke work weakens it, IMO.

5. mitch4 May 12th 2013 at 08:42 am 5

Nice collection of funnies!

DemetriosX, point taken, I had momentary trouble for the same reason. But sometimes you do hear people in the sciences who’ve been given just “hints or tips” on pronouncing names. That’s how you run into Girdle’s Theorem for instance.

6. chuckers May 12th 2013 at 09:12 am 6

Is “Rhymes with Orange” referring to a commercial I haven’t seen?

7. Elyrest May 12th 2013 at 09:29 am 7

chuckers - It’s not referring to a commercial per se, but a product. Rhesus = Reese’s - it’s a play on words. Reese’s Pieces are the M&M shaped candy that was made famous in E.T.

8. Jeff S. May 12th 2013 at 09:30 am 8

9. Jeff S. May 12th 2013 at 09:31 am 9

Wow, I’m slow.

10. mark d May 12th 2013 at 09:39 am 10

PeterW @ 2. The people in the car appear to have golf clubs in the back seat. Teddy Roosevelt once told his presidential opponent William Howard Taft: “Golf is fatal.” Teddy is trying to make good his claim.

11. Ivan May 12th 2013 at 11:43 am 11

PeterW @ 2 & mark d @ 10

Maybe it is just the gritting frown on his face as it hits the ground? The golf reference would be truly reaching for Nixonion devotion to T.R. as common knowledge.

Wow - I really like that HarryBliss comic. I didn’t get it until a minutes later, when the subconscious mind kicked out the line (in my head, of course) “A priest, a minister and a rabbi walk into a bar…”

12. James Pollock May 12th 2013 at 01:16 pm 12

I wondered about the Teddy cartoon, as well, and finally decided that the joke begins and ends with the grimace on Teddy’s face.

13. J-L May 12th 2013 at 02:21 pm 13

The cartoon of the bar reminds me of this joke:

A priest, a rabbi, and an minister walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, “What is this? Some kind of joke?”

14. guero May 12th 2013 at 05:52 pm 14

Excellent collection of LOL’s this week. But where did you dig up the New Yorker cartoon? It has to be over 50 years old. I can remember reading it as a child in a hard bound collection of New Yorker cartoons that my parents had. (Just looked it up, closer to 63 years. Ain’t the internet grand?)

15. Cidu Bill May 12th 2013 at 05:57 pm 15

guero, I was leafing through an old collection.

16. The Vicar May 12th 2013 at 11:06 pm 16

I’ve never been to Mt. Rushmore. Can you really drive close enough that if the faces fell off they would land on the road?

Then again, given the scale, this might not be Mt. Rushmore — IIRC the heads are bigger than that.

17. Scott May 13th 2013 at 11:49 am 17

The Mt. Rushmore cartoon needs something.
    Like Cary Grant.

18. Bob May 13th 2013 at 12:43 pm 18

… or Eva Marie Saint.

19. guero May 13th 2013 at 01:14 pm 19

To answer your question, Vicar, there is a hiking trail (not a road) at the base of the monument, so it might roll over some hikers. But you can see the George Washington bust from the highway driving up to the park, so conceivably, under just the right conditions, George might roll across the highway. (Okay, in reality, the busts are not separate, round heads, but more like faces carved into the mountain, so an individual head could not “fall off”.) As to the scale, that’s hard to say. I remember thinking they were smaller than I had imagined they would be, but they are still pretty impressive.

20. The Vicar May 13th 2013 at 02:40 pm 20

@quero:

The faces (confirmed via Wikipedia) are 60 feet high, so they’d be bigger than as portrayed here. I’ve heard they look small, but it’s because the viewpoints are so far away.

21. James Pollock May 13th 2013 at 08:07 pm 21

Perhaps this is a lesser-known monument, which has Mr. Roosevelt’s head in fuller detail but smaller than Mt. Rushmore, and a highway that is closer.

Although, specifically for the highway question, if this cartoon is really that old, the question isn’t “where is the highway” but “where wAS the highway”.

22. Mark in Boston May 14th 2013 at 10:27 pm 22

I just noticed — he’s telling them to get a room and they already HAVE and are in a room.