Happy Mother’s Day

Cidu Bill on May 10th 2013

mothersday.gif

Okay, but what does any of this have to do with Mother’s Day (other than the fact that this strip was originally published on Mother’s Day — if it hadn’t been, this would have been really random)?

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Mother's Day, One Big Happy, Rick Detorie, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Happy Mother’s Day”

1. Inkwell May 10th 2013 at 12:04 am 1

The first non-throwaway one (crimson) kinda has to do with parenting… I was expecting a theme.

I guess even on Mother’s Day her kids are a pain? Or he’s saying it to suck up to her?

2. Mona May 10th 2013 at 12:16 am 2

The first thing that comes to mind is that Little Billy used to do this sort of thing for Family Circus so that Dad could have the day off. So Joe thinks thats what he should do for Mother’s Day?

3. Cidu Bill May 10th 2013 at 12:24 am 3

I was thinking that, Mona… except Mama Happy isn’t a cartoonist, and “what am I going to do with you?” wouldn’t make any sense in that context.

Or in any other context I can think of, hence the CIDU.

4. Mona May 10th 2013 at 12:30 am 4

1. These puns are terrible! What am I going to do with you?
    2. This is how Joe did his homework, thus “what am I going to do with you?” In this case, Inkwell’s got it, trying to suck up to/distract Mom with Happy Mother’s Day. The way Kelly Bundy used to say “I love you Daddy!”

5. Meryl A May 10th 2013 at 12:38 am 5

He did his homework and it is all wrong and mom doesn’t know what to do with such a stupid child?

6. billybob May 10th 2013 at 12:48 am 6

she’s receiving the gift of laughter? She doesn’t seem to know it though.

7. The Vicar May 10th 2013 at 03:01 am 7

He was trying to write a poem along the lines of “M is for the Many things she taught me…” but is as bad at spelling, rhythm, and rhyme as he is at vocabulary?

Could it be significant that all 8 words start with “C” and only three different letters are #2 in a word?

8. Powers May 10th 2013 at 07:21 am 8

Some of those words are a little advanced for his age, aren’t they?

9. Daniel J. Drazen May 10th 2013 at 09:34 am 9

Joe was too lazy to make a card and too cheap to buy one. I.e., his Y chromosome is working perfectly.

10. John Small Berries May 10th 2013 at 09:55 am 10

He deliberately did poorly on his homework in order to make her feel needed?

11. NoAlias May 10th 2013 at 01:46 pm 11

Carnation reminded me of my father’s old jokes. He always attributed them to his ‘Uncle Luke’ (he wasn’t so hot). If everyone drove red automobiles, we’d be a red carnation. If everyone lay down on their backs, things would be looking up. If this rain keeps up, it won’t come down. Why do they have fences around cemeteries? People are dying to get in….

12. Dyfsunctional May 10th 2013 at 01:59 pm 12

From Benny Hill:

Why are there walls around cemeteries?
    It’s silly beyond a doubt.
    The people outside don’t want to go in
    And the people inside can’t get out.

13. Nitric Acid May 10th 2013 at 03:48 pm 13

And I suppose I’m not allowed to point out that it’s “One Big Happy”, and is as likely to be funny (instead of saccharine) as Funky Winkerbean is likely to be cheerful and Sylvia Browne is likely to be correct.

14. Mark in Boston May 10th 2013 at 06:01 pm 14

Makes me think of an old “Our Gang” movie where Spanky coaches the kids with a joke book instead of a school book. The teacher is not amused by the results.

Teacher: “Buckwheat, what was Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address?”
    Buckwheat: “128 South Main Street!”

15. Inkwell May 10th 2013 at 06:06 pm 15

This is just a nitpick, but it annoys me that the answers have to repeat one of the words being punned. I think something like “candidate: A girl who goes out with you because you give her sweets” would be easier to read. Ditto for “carnation”.