Clog

Cidu Bill on May 9th 2013

clogs.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, Brevity, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Clog”

1. James Pollock May 9th 2013 at 01:09 am 1

Clog dancers stomp a lot. Bad for the inventory at the bubble-wrap factory. (Customers prefer to stomp their own bubble-wrap, not receive it pre-stomped!)

2. CaroZ May 9th 2013 at 01:25 am 2

James Pollock’s got it. Tom made a poor choice inviting this tour group and will pay for it with his job.

3. minorannoyance May 9th 2013 at 01:27 am 3

It’s very roughly analogous to inviting a herd of bulls into a china shop. The implication is that the clog dancers will somehow do their heavy-footed dancing all over the bubble wrap, destroying it.

Clog dancing on bubble wrap is an amusing thought. But this gag is a bit of a stretch, since besides the idea that the clog dancers will somehow access huge amounts of product on the floor you have to get that the “tour guide and event planner” is somehow responsible for inviting them.

A bit better would be a busload of dart champions at a balloon/inflatable display factory (or better yet, showroom). There, it’s much easier to envision the combination abruptly resulting in destruction. The “event planner” line would still be problematic.

Or reframing it as Tom the Night Watchman’s Last Day. Tom addresses a bunch of infuriated executives in front of a closed Bubble Wrap Warehouse. “It was quiet. I was bored. I picked up a small piece of bubble wrap . . . then another . . . “

4. Dan W May 9th 2013 at 08:32 am 4

Why would all the bubble wrap be on the floor, ready for them to stomp?

5. Kilby May 9th 2013 at 09:16 am 5

@ Dan W (4) - Because the panel assumes cartoon logistics, not real world conditions.

P.S. When watching animated cartoons or movies with my son, I frequently have to explain to him “this is cartoon physics, something like that would not happen in the real world.” Recently we watched Fantasia 2000, which has a pod of whales swimming through the atmosphere and then into outer space.

6. billytheskink May 9th 2013 at 09:40 am 6

This reminds me of when office space is being renovated or outfitted for a new tennant and a clear plastic is stuck down on the carpet for protection. For the first few days, there are quite a few pockets of air trapped under the plastic and walking on it sounds like walking on bubble wrap.

It’s kinda fun when you do it, not so much when others do.

7. 1958Fury May 9th 2013 at 09:41 am 7

@minorannoyance (3) - I love your suggestions; they’re much better than the strip posted here.

8. Morris Keesan May 9th 2013 at 11:22 am 8

I gave up on Brevity not long after Dan came on board, but I found this one quite funny.

9. Mike May 9th 2013 at 01:53 pm 9

My interpretation is that Tom knew it was his last day and as a kind of “so long, suckers!” to the company, he invited a bunch of clog dancers to come stomp the bejesus out of all the bubble wrap. that addresses some of the problems with the “Tom is about to get fired” interpretation (which didn’t occur to me until I read it in comments)

10. Mike May 9th 2013 at 06:07 pm 10

I think my comment might have gotten moderated for very mild language. Anyway:

My interpretation is that Tom knew it was his last day and as a kind of “so long, [coworkers]!” to the company, he invited a bunch of clog dancers to come stomp the [somebody] out of all the bubble wrap. that addresses some of the problems with the “Tom is about to get fired” interpretation (which didn’t occur to me until I read it in comments)

11. turquoisecow May 9th 2013 at 08:12 pm 11

Yeah, I had the same interpretation as Mike. Tom knew it was his last day, either because he was leaving voluntarily or not, and figured he’d go out with a bang.

Or a lot of little pops, in this case.

I think it’s unlikely that clog dancers walk around in clogs when doing mundane things like touring bubble wrap factories. It makes more sense that Tom would ask them to come by and specifically ask for them to wear their clogs. Then, he would somehow arrange for lots of bubble wrap to fall on the floor so they could dance on it.

12. Larry May 9th 2013 at 08:44 pm 12

Have you ever thought of the amount of self-control that would be required to work in a bubble wrap factory? :)

13. The Ploughman May 9th 2013 at 10:13 pm 13

And how do they ship it?

14. Meryl A May 10th 2013 at 12:43 am 14

Not sure either way - if he is fired for it or was leaving and making trouble before he went.

turquoisecow #11 - you never know, they could have come in by bus for the day for an event and therefore came dressed for the event and came to the factory that way. My reenactment unit has been known to have members go to a restaurant together for dinner after an event, even locally, and we don’t bother to change. (Now my husband and me alone would never go out in the reenacting clothing for dinner without others. It’s bad enough having to check out of a hotel or campground in the period clothes. I usually get sent as the long skirt and jacket are less odd than the breeches and I am harder to embarrass.)

15. Pinny May 10th 2013 at 01:29 pm 15

Re #13 (The Ploughman):

Very funny!! A Steven Wright-type question. Along the lines of: “I bought some powdered water, but I didn’t know what to add.” or “I bought a package of batteries, but they were not included so I had to buy another pack.”

16. Mike May 10th 2013 at 01:30 pm 16

Ploughman: packed in styrofoam peanuts so it doesn’t get popped in transit

17. Mark in Boston May 10th 2013 at 06:03 pm 17

I know how they ship it, but how do they unpack it at Receiving?

“Man! I’ve been unpacking this box all day, and there’s nothing in it!”