I’m double confused

Cidu Bill on May 7th 2013

cidu-double.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Zits, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “I’m double confused”

1. billybob May 7th 2013 at 12:10 am 1

“the guy tells the bartender, ‘Make it a double’” causes her no problem. Converting it to tweets and hashmarks loses her.

2. Usual John May 7th 2013 at 06:41 am 2

The cartoonist’s joke is simply the visual representation of Jeremy’s joke going over his mom’s head. It’s a little too complicated for her so, in despair, she asks for a knock-knock joke.

We don’t need to know Jeremy’s joke to get the strip; we get only the punch line, so we’re not expected to be able to figure it out. Still, inquiring minds want to know: What was Jeremy’s joke? A little googling suggests it’s probably a variation on the following:

A programmer walks into a bar and orders 1.0e20 root beers.
    The bartender says to him, “That’s a root beer float.”; the programmer replies: “Make it a double.”

It’s not too hard to see how Mom, not familiar with floating exponents, would have missed the joke.

3. Usual John May 7th 2013 at 07:20 am 3

In the last line, that should be “not familiar with floating point exponents . . . .”

4. mitch4 May 7th 2013 at 08:20 am 4

I thought it would have something to do with the … fad … for claiming there is a wonderful inventive humor in coming up with hashtags that are both accurate in leading to your content and clever or remarkable on their own or because of secondary meaning. But of course the brilliance of “makeitadouble” goes over her head, as well as mine.

Usual John, I enjoyed your joke, even though I have doubts about it being the intended implied joke here. And I disagree about it working when we don’t know the intended joke. BTW, is your quantity of root beer really what you meant to write?

5. Morris Keesan May 7th 2013 at 10:24 am 5

mitch4, the quantity is irrelevant. What’s significant is that the format indicates that it’s a floating-point number. Some programming languages, for example C, have two different floating-point data types, called “float” and “double”. (”Double” is short for “double-precision floating point”, because that type is expected to be able to represent twice as many digits.)

As a C programmer, to avoid confusing the audience with the thought of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 root beers, and to clarify that it’s a float rather than a double, I would probably tell this with the guy asking for 1.0f root beers, where the “.0″ is sufficient to make it a floating-point constant instead of an integer, and the ‘f’ suffix makes it a float and not a double.

6. Bob May 7th 2013 at 11:04 am 6

No idea what the joke is, but over at Twitter, I see a lot of tweets with the tag #makeitadouble. No idea what the point of them is, either. Figure out one and you may figure out the other.

7. Mona May 7th 2013 at 12:14 pm 7

Thanks to Morris and Usual John! That is funny, and it explains why it would go over her head. Son is updating the joke by turning it into tweets, although I don’t know that Son would be smart enough to know the original joke.
    Bob points out, there is something going aroung Twitter with #makeitadouble, so wonder what that is. I don’t do Twitter,or Facebook or anything.
    CIDU is the extent of my online social network.

8. Chakolate May 7th 2013 at 01:22 pm 8

Did anyone else wonder what that thing was on the lower left of the ellipse, the thing that looks like the top of a pawn? No? Just me? Okay, then.

(And yes, now I realize it’s supposed to be the tied-off part of a balloon, but that would have been helped if the lettering on the ’side’ of the balloon looked like balloon lettering.)

9. Morris Keesan May 7th 2013 at 03:27 pm 9

I wondered about that thing for a few seconds, before I realized that it was the tied-off part of a balloon. It wasn’t helped by the fact that the string appears to be coming from INSIDE the balloon.
    Mona #7, I think that I helped explain Usual John’s joke, but I suspect that it wasn’t the joke that the cartoonist intended. I think that Bob probably came closer, but like you, I don’t twit, so I have no idea what the currently-faddish hashtag (which some people would probably call a “meme”) is about.

10. Kamino Neko May 7th 2013 at 04:00 pm 10

Why is anybody complicating this beyond ‘Jeremy’s mother doesn’t understand Twitter’?

That’s all there is to it.

11. Elyrest May 7th 2013 at 07:30 pm 11

Kamino Neko - We are here to complicate as well as explain.

12. Mark in Boston May 7th 2013 at 09:39 pm 12

Somehow I don’t see Jeremy as being proficient in C or Java or any other programming languages.

Now I’m proficient in C and Java and many other languages, but I can’t tell Christmas from Halloween, because as far as I’m concerned, Oct 31 equals Dec 25.

13. Another Josh May 15th 2013 at 10:39 am 13

Drat, now I want a root beer float