Awkward

Cidu Bill on May 7th 2013

awkward.gif

Speaking of awkward, that dialog

And is there any real joke here, or is this similar to Jeremy’s comment going over Connie’s head, indicated by his comment literally going over her head (I still think the hashtag thing should have had something to do with something there)?

And, y’know, 1987 called…

Filed in Bill Bickel, Brevity, CIDU, Hey Geezers! Comics!, Miami Sound Machine, comic strips, comics, humor | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “Awkward”

1. Folly May 7th 2013 at 02:43 pm 1

I can’t tell from your description if you are missing the pun (such as it is) or are looking for more of a joke.
    I think it’s just the pun.

I thought you said “The Rhythym”, like “The Situation” or “The Rock” was gonna come get you.

2. Folly May 7th 2013 at 02:44 pm 2

I, Folly, have spoken.

3. Dyfsunctional May 7th 2013 at 02:56 pm 3

There used to be a daily “cartoon” (quotes intentional) in the New York Post that was so badly drawn that any celebrities depicted actually had to wear something with their name on it so that you would know who they were. It would irk me to no end that the cartoonist was such an awful artist and knew it, yet somehow he landed a job at a big-time newspaper. The Estefan joke isn’t too bad, but the artist’s lack of confidence is distracting. Actually, it’s a fairly good Gloria, and between Emilo’s name and the pun itself, I think most people would have gotten it anyway.

4. Cidu Bill May 7th 2013 at 02:58 pm 4

Folly, a pun requires that the word or phrase have an alternate meaning. If Emelio had said the rhythm section was gonna get her, then we’d have something. Otherwise, we have this:

• Roger De Bris: Ah, Bialystock and Bloom, I presume! Heh heh, forgive the pun!

Leo Bloom: [to Max] What pun?

Max Bialystock: Shut up, he thinks he’s witty.
  5. Folly May 7th 2013 at 03:00 pm 5

Huh? It is an alternate meaning. Unless her song is actually about someone called The Rhythm. See? I CAN spell it right.

6. HJ May 7th 2013 at 03:18 pm 6

The alleged joke stands a chance of working only slightly better if the song had said “Rhythm is gonna get me” (instead of “…you”). As it is, Emilio has no excuses. And for the record, I would hardly call this a pun.

7. Pinny May 7th 2013 at 03:24 pm 7

Also, Gloria Estefan broke her spine in an accident while on a bus.

From Wikipedia:
    While touring in support of Cuts Both Ways on March 20, 1990, near Scranton, Pennsylvania, Estefan was critically injured, suffering a fractured spine when a speeding semi-truck crashed into the tour bus she was in during a snowstorm. She was taken to Community Medical Center’s Intensive Care Unit and the next day was flown by helicopter to New York City, where surgeons at the Hospital for Joint Diseases at NYU Langone Medical Center permanently implanted two titanium rods to stabilize her vertebral column. Her rehabilitation required almost a year of intensive physical therapy by Michael Klepper, but she achieved a complete recovery. She returned to an international tour ten months after the accident and began singing again.

8. mitch4 May 7th 2013 at 03:34 pm 8

Sorry, but I’m some half-dozen steps behind the rest of this discussion. Is there a particular Emilio you all know she’s talking to? And does he have a nickname that sounds at all like “the rhythm”?

9. Some Old Guy May 7th 2013 at 03:35 pm 9

Rhythm Is Gonna Get You is an old, old hit of hers. This works as a bad pun … say, if she had been singing in the shower and Emilio (whoever he is) takes it as meaning he doesn’t need to pick her up that day? That’s all I got.

10. Folly May 7th 2013 at 03:57 pm 10

Emilio is her husband. And if he was ‘The Rhythm”, then he would have gone and picked her up.
    Of course, if she was singing the song to herself, the words would have to be ‘rhythm is going to get ‘me”.
    Reminds me of this Simpsons clip:

Smokey the Bear animatron. “Who can prevent forest fires?”
    *Bart presses ‘You’.
    “You have pressed ‘You’, meaning ‘me’. No, the answer is ‘You’. Only You can prevent forest fires.”

(from memory, couldn’t find the video clip)

11. Pinny May 7th 2013 at 03:57 pm 11

Emilio Estefan is her husband.

From Wikipedia:
    Emilio Estefan, Jr. (born March 4, 1953) is a Cuban-American 19-time Grammy Award winning musician and producer. Estefan’s first taste of celebrity came as a member of the Miami Sound Machine. He is the husband of singer Gloria Estefan, and the uncle of Spanish-language television personality Lili Estefan.

12. Mary in Ohio May 7th 2013 at 04:28 pm 12

Wait - was he a cartoonist at “a big time newspaper” or at The New York Post?

13. Winter Wallaby May 7th 2013 at 05:01 pm 13

Continuing the discussion here, I vote for this falling into “This is understandable as a joke, it’s just not funny” tag. “Pun” perhaps isn’t the right word, but it’s a “humorous” misunderstanding. Someone saying X, and getting misunderstood based on a silly interpretation of the words is standard joke material.

14. Alan May 7th 2013 at 05:14 pm 14

I always had a different pun in mind for her - that she had a job as a produce stocker. Turning the beets around, turning them upside down.

15. Cidu Bill May 7th 2013 at 06:03 pm 15

Or she could be working the grill at McDonald’s…

16. Bob in Nashville May 7th 2013 at 06:14 pm 16

@ Alan, 15: But the song you plugged was a disco standard Gloria Estefan covered long after disco was over with, whereas she’s the original singer of the song the comic plugged.

17. Bob in Nashville May 7th 2013 at 06:15 pm 17

Oops, I meant to respond to #14 instead of 15.

18. Elyrest May 7th 2013 at 07:44 pm 18

I know Gloria & Emilio Estefan (the Miami Sound Machine too), but even with the explanations the comic isn’t just unfunny it’s “awkward”. What does “awkward” mean here? I don’t know - anymore than I know what it means in the comic.

19. Ian Osmond May 7th 2013 at 08:57 pm 19

CDIU Bill @ 15: No, that’s the OTHER song, “Turn the MEAT around.”

20. James Pollock May 8th 2013 at 02:44 am 20

Elyrest, “Awkward” is a scripted show on MTV, and it’s not bad. Recommended, even for people who otherwise would (rightly) avoid MTV only slightly less than the shopping channel during “personal products week”.

21. Elyrest May 8th 2013 at 10:56 am 21

James Pollock - I’ve never heard of the show “Awkward”, but would you explain what that show has to do with the joke here? Please.

22. Cidu Bill May 8th 2013 at 11:56 am 22

Or, Ian, “Turn the beef around.” Cuts both ways.

23. The Ploughman May 8th 2013 at 02:00 pm 23

LeBron James was brought it to turn the Heat around. Bonus: this took place in Miami.

The comic gives me confidence I won’t be the least funny part of this thread.

24. James Pollock May 8th 2013 at 08:42 pm 24

Elyrest… nothing whatsoever. (It’s still good, though.)

25. Elyrest May 8th 2013 at 09:00 pm 25

Thanks, James Pollock. I haven’t watched much TV in recent years and sometimes I miss popular culture references.

26. Bob in Nashville May 8th 2013 at 10:08 pm 26

Didn’t think of the MTV program, but I did find a certain amount of awkwardness in the implied reference to the bus crash. It made me wonder whether it was intentional or just unfortunate.

27. Boise Ed May 8th 2013 at 11:52 pm 27

Thanks for the explanations, folks. While it’s still not at all funny, at least I now know what Dan Thompson was writing about. (Which it pains me to write, because I used to know a guy named Dan Thompson, and he was a good punster.)