Cidu Bill on Mar 15th 2013

lol-odds.png
And don’t worry: not only is everything queued up to go live properly while I’m away, if the plane goes down, you won’t even notice I’m gone until at least mid-June.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, New Yorker, airports, comics, lol | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “Comic That Made Me Laugh When I First Saw It, But Might Not Seem So Funny When I Get to JFK Airport In A Few Hours”

1. yellojkt Mar 15th 2013 at 02:07 pm 1

Have a safe trip.

2. J-L Mar 15th 2013 at 04:19 pm 2

I don’t think that those are the odds that the plane will get there at all, just the odds that the plane will get there on time.

But then, I could be wrong.

3. Catlover Mar 15th 2013 at 09:52 pm 3

Assuming the departure times are at the departure point and the arrival times are at this common arriving airport, I cannot figure out where (given time zones) this could possibly be. Around two hours (and 2 time zones) east of LA, two hours east and one time zones from Denver, 3 hours north of Dallas … given the odds making, the easy answer would have been Vegas (baby), but that’s no 3 hour flight from LA … it is a 3+ hour drive.

4. Dave in Boston Mar 16th 2013 at 01:20 am 4

Apart from the St. Paul flight, the times are reasonably plausible for New York, provided you assume they’re all written in New York time. (Cue flamewar about how New Yorkers think New York is the center of the universe.)

5. James Pollock Mar 16th 2013 at 02:15 am 5

For New Yorkers, New York IS the center of the universe, because Einstein.

6. Proginoskes Mar 16th 2013 at 02:59 am 6

On a Seinfeld episode, Kramer gambled with some other guy on which flight would arrive first.

7. Proginoskes Mar 16th 2013 at 03:00 am 7

@ James Pollock (#5): So that explains the Big Bang that happened twelve years ago.

(Too soon?)

8. billybob Mar 16th 2013 at 03:25 am 8

For Princetonians, New Jersey is the center of the universe because Einstein.

9. Kilby Mar 16th 2013 at 09:34 am 9

I agree with J-L @ 2, but in response to @3: This is a comic airport, not a real one. Real signs in real airports list only the local time: the “Departures” table lists only the times that the flights (are supposed to) take off, and the arrival table lists only the times that the flights (are supposed to) arrive. The corresponding landing and take off times at the “other” airport are never shown.

10. Its Justme Mar 16th 2013 at 10:57 am 10

@#7 Yes
    I don’t recall seeing arrivals and departures on the same line, so that confusion may explain the dilemma @#3
    Bill, your faith in Wordpress is inspiring!

11. James Pollock Mar 17th 2013 at 02:14 am 11

If you’re going to gamble on arrival times, you need to know the corresponding departure times. (and the weather. And what kind of planes they are. And who the jockeys are.)

12. Dave in Boston Mar 17th 2013 at 11:22 pm 12

and who the maintenance crews are, and the tail numbers on the aircraft, and who’s working which ATC sectors today, and…