XCIDU

Cidu Bill on Mar 5th 2013

etsy.gif

So the other day my wife and son looked at me in disbelief and said “You never heard of Etsy? Everybody’s heard of Etsy.”

It did sound vaguely familiar, though, and I realized it was because I had this queued up as a CIDU.

Now that I get it, it is kind of funny.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Pardon My Planet, Vic Lee, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “XCIDU”

1. Morris Keesan Mar 5th 2013 at 05:42 pm 1

You don’t have an Etsy store?? Everybody has an Etsy store!

(Before I loaded the image for this one, I looked at the title and for some reason thought that it was going to be an XKCD comic.)

2. Winter Wallaby Mar 5th 2013 at 05:43 pm 2

I didn’t know what Etsy was either. Comic seems comprehensible from context anyway.

3. Daniel J. Drazen Mar 5th 2013 at 06:10 pm 3

I suppose a torture meister could have been expected to make his own tools, but other punchlines would work as well:

“I know, I ordered it through the Spanish Inquisition’s Web page.”

“That’s a souvenir from when I was with the Crusades; I picked that up at a place called Abu Ghraib.”

4. Mike Mar 5th 2013 at 06:22 pm 4

Those other punchlines would sorta work, but they don’t get in the extra jokes of the torturer being a hipster craftsman and of his suggesting that the prisoner might “have a chance” to check out Etsy, which I’m pretty sure he won’t (does the prison have wifi?). To make the same joke without the Etsy dependence, it could be “check out my other designs on my web site” or something. Not as punchy as Etsy (Etsy = hipster craftsperson), but serviceable.

5. chuckers Mar 5th 2013 at 08:00 pm 5

I think I may have slightly heard of Etsy but no idea what it is. Sorry.

6. mitch4 Mar 6th 2013 at 12:58 am 6

I only heard of Etsy within the last year. I’ve been assuming the name comes from someone pronouncing “Etc.” that way (instead of expanding as “etcetera” [or erroring their way to “excetera”]).

7. Meryl A Mar 6th 2013 at 01:14 am 7

Etsy.com is a website that started for handcrafted items. It now also allows vintage items and supplies for crafting.

If I may, my husband has a shop on etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/qbranchltd - he makes and sells reproduction games, needlework toys and other items.

8. James Pollock Mar 6th 2013 at 01:26 am 8

“reproduction games”? Spin the bottle? Two minutes in heaven? Strip poker? Guess what I’ve got in my pocket?

9. Keera Mar 6th 2013 at 01:41 am 9

I’ve heard of Etsy because I keep hearing about how people get their designs stolen from there. Or get their designs of swastikas blocked because Etsy thinks the Nazis invented the symbol. I’ve heard a lot about Etsy, without ever having to visit the site. I can say the same about Instagram and Pinterest. It’s the internet by osmosis!

10. Mike Mar 6th 2013 at 07:24 am 10

What’s even better for viewers of this site would be regretsy.com. have fun!

11. Judge Mental Mar 6th 2013 at 10:13 am 11

Evidently, “everybody” doesn’t include me as I had never heard of Etsy until I just looked it up. And to be honest, it is the type of business that if you ask me a year from now about it, I probably will only have a vague feeling that I have heard of it before.

12. Elyrest Mar 6th 2013 at 12:48 pm 12

“It’s the internet by osmosis!”

Keera - That’s the same familiarity I have with Etsy, Instagram and Pinterest. I see them referenced enough on other sites that use. I first heard of Etsy a few years ago on a San Francisco Chronicle blog that no longer exists. I think it had to do with antiques, decorating or some such thing. The blog often had pictures of things posted from Etsy, but I never felt the need to actually visit it.

13. Chakolate Mar 6th 2013 at 01:14 pm 13

If you haven’t heard of Etsy, you probably also haven’t heard of Regretsy, a website full of actual Etsy ‘artisanal’ items that should never have seen the light of day, let alone be offered for sale.

http://www.regretsy.com/ “Where DIY meets WTF”

14. Kilby Mar 6th 2013 at 10:24 pm 14

@ Keera (9) - While the Nazis did not invent the swastika, they are the only ones who are actually running around buying swastika (or “Hakenkreuz“) memorabilia. I think Etsy’s policy is a good idea.

15. Keera Mar 7th 2013 at 02:10 am 15

Kilby @13, the Nazis took the swastika and reversed it (mirror-imaged), but the original swastika is still a valid hindu symbol. It is also found in various forms in other parts of the world, including Native American traditions. Banning the sale of art representing one of humanity’s oldest and most universal symbols is ridiculous. I’d rather people got educated about the swastika.

I understand that Germany has banned the use of the swastika; does that ban apply to all forms or just the Nazi version?

16. Kilby Mar 7th 2013 at 03:45 am 16

@ Keera (14) - The German ban is not specifically directed at swastikas, it covers public use of all symbols and gestures related to the Nazi party and ideology. I am fully aware that the symbol has been used in other traditions, but Etsy is simply reacting to the fact that there is only a very limited market for Hindu and native American swastikas, whereas there is an active black market (both in Germany and in the US) for neo-Nazi paraphernalia, and this market often tries to camouflage itself under other types of “legitimate” use. In addition, even though the swastika has a fundamental asymmetry (as does the yin/yang symbol), it is simply not possible to make a strict demarcation between the variant “left” and “right” forms. If I saw pair of “left handed” and “right handed” swastikas in the usual colors, I doubt that I would be able to say immediately which was the evil Nazi symbol, and which was the benevolent Hindu symbol.

17. Winter Wallaby Mar 7th 2013 at 06:06 pm 17

Keera #14: My understanding is that the ban is on swastikas as a Nazi symbol. So you’re free to display swastikas of either orientation so long as you’re not using it as a Nazi symbol.

18. Winter Wallaby Mar 7th 2013 at 06:07 pm 18

WW #17: Clarification: I’m referring to the German ban, not the Etsy ban.

19. Meryl A Mar 15th 2013 at 01:23 am 19

James Pollock - no, he has those in his other etsy shop. He makes reproductions of games from the 1700’s, also needlework tools from the period including one called a lucet that was used to make cord at home quickly and easily from the middle ages until introduction of cord making machines in the industrial revolution. Cord was used extensively for clothing, especially women’s clothing (think of Disney’s Snow White and the ties across the front of her dress top - she would have had to make them). Now they are used for making cord for decoration and jewelry and by reenactors who still have use of the cord in clothing and are looking for something small to carry to do at events. He also makes nailbinding needles which are forerunners of knitting needles. Also stuff that is not historic.

20. VCR Apr 11th 2013 at 06:50 pm 20