Sunday Funnies: LOL, March 3, 2013

Ed Rush:
lol-shot-bizarro.gif

Mitchell Marks:

lol-mitchellmarks-darksideofthehorse.gif

Andréa:

lol-lio130206-andrea.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bill the Cat, Bizarro, Buni, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dark Side of the Horse, Garfield, Lio, Mark Tatulli, New Adventures of Queen Victoria, comic strips, comics, humor, lol, xkcd | 32 responses so far

32 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, March 3, 2013”

1. mitch4 Mar 3rd 2013 at 01:00 am 1

“And at my back I always hear
    Time’s wingèd chariot hurrying near.”

2. Inkwell Mar 3rd 2013 at 01:38 am 2

Lio was great! It’s good to see a faithful representation of Bill the Cat on the funnies page.

I don’t get the Dark Side of the Horse one, though.

3. Kit Mar 3rd 2013 at 01:48 am 3

The horse is making chess knight moves :)

4. Inkwell Mar 3rd 2013 at 03:37 am 4

Thanks! I don’t know how I missed that. XD That’s pretty clever!

5. The Vicar Mar 3rd 2013 at 03:41 am 5

There was, for a long time, a fad in mathematical circles for trying to cover various surfaces (divided into squares, of course) into knight moves without having the knight move through the same space twice, usually with extra stipulations. (So, for example, cover every space on a chessboard and have the next move be back to the first position so that the whole thing forms a loop.) There’s a very long chapter about it in a book I have around somewhere. Ever since reading that chapter, I can no longer look at any sort of surface which is square-tiled without looking for knight moves FIRST, even though I’m hardly good at it.

6. Proginoskes Mar 3rd 2013 at 03:46 am 6

@ The Vicar: You can also find one of these “tours” that is almost a magic square. (The diagonal sums are off by 2.)

***

As for Lio, what, no Garfield?

7. Proginoskes Mar 3rd 2013 at 03:47 am 7

Oh, wait, that’s him off-screen.

8. Dave Van Domelen Mar 3rd 2013 at 06:46 am 8

Yeah…hard to imagine a professional artist unable to get Garfield on-model, but it happens sometimes. That looks like my attempts at drawing Garfield when I was 10…disturbingly like it, in fact. (Looks over shoulder for lurking comic artists.)

9. mitch4 Mar 3rd 2013 at 07:30 am 9

The Vicar: You might well have run across “knight’s tour” puzzles in books by Martin Gardner (or the original Scientific American columns they were collected from).

10. Bob in Nashville Mar 3rd 2013 at 07:38 am 10

Bucky’s got his missing fang back.

11. 1958Fury Mar 3rd 2013 at 08:43 am 11

Bucky is terrifying.

12. Powers Mar 3rd 2013 at 09:04 am 12

That’s odd; Hobbes is usually the biggest tuna fiend in comics.

13. Todd Mar 3rd 2013 at 02:53 pm 13

Hobbes is a toy tiger. He’s only real to Calvin.

14. Woodrowfan Mar 3rd 2013 at 03:31 pm 14

“Hobbes is a toy tiger. He’s only real to Calvin.”

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!! :(

15. Mary in Ohio Mar 3rd 2013 at 05:17 pm 15

Bucky is pretty terrifying in his regular everyday strip.

16. Bob in Nashville Mar 3rd 2013 at 05:50 pm 16

Yeah, Mary, but he wishes he looked as scary as he does here.

17. furrykef Mar 3rd 2013 at 10:47 pm 17

When I was younger I would often walk across tiled surfaces in the knight pattern if the tiles were of an appropriate size for it. I didn’t have much of a reason for it, beyond of course it being how the knight moves…

Trivia: in Chinese chess, a knight’s move has the same “shape” (i.e. the legal destination squares are the same as in Western chess), but the way the move is executed is different. The knight first moves one square up, down, left, or right, then completes the move diagonally. This is important because, if a piece is blocking the first step of the move, no matter if it’s a friendly or enemy piece, the knight cannot make the move.

18. The Vicar Mar 4th 2013 at 12:28 am 18

@mitch4:

I went and dug up the book. It’s Another Fine Math You’ve Got Me Into… by Ian Stewart, with a one-page foreword by Martin Gardner, who in return got his name on the front cover up at the top. (Pfooey!)

The book is somewhat hokey, but full of interesting little puzzles like this. In this case, the fad I was referring to was in the time of Leonhard Euler, so it definitely predates Gardner’s books. Euler managed to find a path around the chessboard which was not only a loop but also rotationally symmetric (with a 180° rotation). Apparently he found it really easy.

My favorite puzzle about chessboards, though, has nothing to do with knights, and comes from Raymond Smullyan: it is possible to take 32 dominoes and cover a chessboard completely so that every domino covers exactly 2 squares, one half of each domino on each of the 2 squares, without breaking any dominos in half or having any sticking off the edge of the board. The same is true for lots of boards of different shapes and sizes. Now, suppose I take a chessboard and remove two opposite corners. Can the rest of the board — 62 squares — be covered with dominoes the way the full 64-square board can? (This is actually a really, really easy puzzle if you think about it the right way, which is a nice clever solution.)

19. Proginoskes Mar 4th 2013 at 01:09 am 19

Smullyan didn’t invent that, did he?

20. The Vicar Mar 4th 2013 at 01:28 am 20

I don’t think so. Perhaps I should have said “via Raymond Smullyan” instead. As I recall — and I don’t think I own the book I found it in — he merely reports it in a collection of miscellaneous puzzles, and says it’s an old favorite, which suggests he heard it from someone else.

Then again, for all I know, he made it up as a child, and anyone else who mentions it got it ultimately from him.

Among other things, I like that puzzle because it’s so easy to visualize, and therefore easy to share with people who aren’t interested in abstract stuff.

21. Kilby Mar 4th 2013 at 04:01 am 21

@ The Vicar (18 & 20) - The problem with the dominoes on the chessboard was published in Martin Gardener’s “Book of Mathematical Puzzles and Diversions” (page 24 of the 1959 edition). I do not know if Gardener invented it himself, but there is no other author credited.

P.S. The answer is on page 28, it examines the color of the “removed” squares, as opposed to the colors of the squares covered by any one domino.

22. Kilby Mar 4th 2013 at 06:27 am 22

P.P.S. Please excuse the superfluous “e” that my fingers inserted into “Gardner”.

23. Lost in A**2 Mar 4th 2013 at 09:21 am 23

(The publisher put Mr. Gardner’s name at the top because Mr. Gardner has (or, had) greater name-recognition than the author. It’s not an uncommon practice.)

24. Kilby Mar 4th 2013 at 09:36 am 24

@ Lost in A**2 (23) - Um, no, it (@21) was a collection of Martin Gardner’s Scientific American articles that originally appeared from 1956 to 1958. The book was reissued in 1988 as “Hexaflexagons and Other Mathematical Diversions”.

25. Winter Wallaby Mar 4th 2013 at 12:34 pm 25

Wikipedia gives credit for the dominoes/chessboard problem to Max Black, 1946.

26. Lost in A**2 Mar 4th 2013 at 02:51 pm 26

Kilby, take a look at the first paragraph of #18, above.

27. mitch4 Mar 4th 2013 at 05:52 pm 27

Vicar, thanks for the info on Ian Stewart, whom I was not familiar with. His wikipedia entry places him as an interesting popular math writer worth checking out.

I wasn’t aware of the knight’s-tour as a popular puzzler exercise for walkers in Euler’s time. But a tradition something like that underlies the Bridges of Königsberg Problem, whose solution by Euler could be considered the starting point of Graph Theory.

28. Proginoskes Mar 5th 2013 at 03:10 am 28

I’m surprised that Dudeney didn’t think of the mutilated chessboard problem first.

Raymond Smullan IS responsible for the following problem, which also appeared in Martin Gardener’s Mathematical Games column:

The White King has been knocked off the board. Which square should it be put on, so that the position is “legal”; i.e., so that there was a previous move?

29. Proginoskes Mar 5th 2013 at 03:12 am 29

Note to #28: And a move before that.

This puzzle is credited with the date of 1957, but it probably was composed earlier. (See the Afterword of _The Chess Mysteries of the Arabian Knights_.)

30. Kilby Mar 5th 2013 at 04:37 am 30

@ Proginoskes (28) - Does the problem specify whose move it was when the king was knocked off, or is that detail something that the “alert students” are supposed to derive for themselves?

P.S. @ Lost (26) - Sorry, I assumed that your comment @23 was responding to mine @21, I didn’t make the connection to yours @18.

31. Lost in A**2 Mar 5th 2013 at 05:51 am 31

Yes, that is part of the problem, Kilby.

As for the other, no big deal.

32. The Vicar Mar 6th 2013 at 01:01 pm 32

Huh. Smullyan must really have liked that general idea. I went and dug out one of his books because I thought I had seen that puzzle before, and the one I was remembering had almost exactly the same description, but the pieces on the board were different (and in different positions)!