Yeah, this is me at every large family gathering

Cidu Bill on Feb 27th 2013

2394.png

I remember a few years back ending up in a long discussion with my uncle’s cousin’s life partner, he was asking about my kids, the whole works, and then having to semi-discreetly ask around to figure out who this guy was.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Questionable Content, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Yeah, this is me at every large family gathering”

1. minor annoyance Feb 27th 2013 at 02:10 pm 1

“But I’m not Rappaport!”
    “You changed your name, too?”

2. Daniel J. Drazen Feb 27th 2013 at 04:31 pm 2

Because nobody wants to be seen drifting through these affairs in zombie mode.

3. mitch4 Feb 27th 2013 at 07:39 pm 3

The cartoonist had a comment today that I didn’t understand:

If there is an artistic equivalent of name-dropping, I am certainly guilty of it.

Does that mean some of these characters might be recognizable as making guest appearances from other comics? Or that he is doing visual allusions in his style? Or wha’?

4. chuckers Feb 27th 2013 at 08:19 pm 4

What mitch4 said. I was wondering the same thing.

At one of my sister’s weddings I saw some of the photos that came out. In one of them, there was a man standing next to my mother that I didn’t recognise. I was going to ask her who it was until I looked at it closer and noticed through the bad lighting it was actually myself!

5. Jeff S. Feb 27th 2013 at 08:27 pm 5

mitch4 and chuckers… I wonder if he meant he was drawing people he knows from real life into this strip, ie — name-dropping, but done using art, not words.

6. Kamino Neko Feb 27th 2013 at 08:34 pm 6

Jeph tweeted a hint about the identities of the people Marten encountered. 3 of the people in the strip are real people - a sci-fi author, and 2 YA authors. One is a cameo from another comic. And ‘one is just some crazy old lady’.

The bald guy, then looks to be Charles Stross. No clue on the other 3, though.

7. Jeff S. Feb 27th 2013 at 08:48 pm 7

The lady with the short black hair in the second panel could be Deborah Halverson, maybe…

8. Jeff Feb 27th 2013 at 10:15 pm 8

I thought the bald guy was a grown-up Bobby Hill.

9. Kamino Neko Feb 28th 2013 at 04:53 am 9

I wonder if the redhead might be Cassandra Clare. (Plus size, red hair, YA author…fits her.)

10. DemetriosX Feb 28th 2013 at 06:34 am 10

There was some speculation that the first guy might be John Scalzi, but Charlie Stross seems to be more likely. Scalzi has less hair and what he does have is longer. I thought Stross was taller than that though. If the guy next to him is the crossover cameo, he might be Artie from Narbonic (and an appearance in one Skin-Horse storyline). He’s certainly tall enough.

I’m trying to figure out how your uncle’s cousin is somehow not also related to you. The best I can come up with is that he’s an uncle by marriage or the half-brother of whichever parent he’s related to and the cousin is on the non-common side.

11. Kamino Neko Feb 28th 2013 at 07:05 am 11

A parent’s sibling’s male SO would be your uncle, but he’d be the only one in his family (aside from your aunt/uncle, and any children they have) related to you.

12. Kamino Neko Feb 28th 2013 at 07:07 am 12

Also, funnily enough, Scalzi was my first thought for the one I ID’d as Stross, but when I did a search for Scalzi to be sure I was remembering what he looked like right, Stross came up in the related people section, looking just like he did under Jeph’s pen, aside from the geeky T-shirt.

13. Cidu Bill Feb 28th 2013 at 11:22 am 13

Yes, DemetriosX, uncle by marriage.

14. Ian Osmond Mar 1st 2013 at 11:50 am 14

Apparently, Jeph said they are one science fiction author, one webcomics character, two YA novelists, and just one random crazy old lady.

The consensus seems to be Charlie Stross, some webcomic character I don’t know, Holly Black, Cassandra Claire, and possibly a time-travelling Hannalore from the future.

I have no doubt about Charlie Stross. I’ve seen him plenty of times in person, to the point that I think he vaguely recognizes me as someone he sees at cons, and when I saw the comic, before I read the words or the comment that it was artistic name dropping, I wondered why there was a picture of Charlie Stross — it looks just like him, except I’m not certain he owns a tux. If his wife Feorag NicBhride was there with a little plushy Cthulhu, that would remove all doubt, of course.

My wife says that the supposedly Holly Black looks just like Holly Black, who she’s met a couple times. Nether of us has met Cassie Claire, but pictures look similar.

15. padraig Mar 1st 2013 at 05:57 pm 15

You’d think that at a family gathering of white people, he’d at least know who the one black guy is.

16. Meryl A Mar 6th 2013 at 01:56 am 16

When husband and I were dating and we had to go to something from my family (his family rarely has anything and is very small) I would say “and this is my boyfriend (fiance, husband) Robert” and often not mention his name to them, he understood I did not know who they were.

Now as to everyone bothering the poor guy - when my nephew was young and going to his first “affair” we told him how all the old ladies will grab his cheeks and squeeze them and call him cute names. At the party we got one of the older ladies who is fun, who we told what we told him (except the old part) and asked her to play along. We had a lot of fun with that.

17. Bob in Nashville Mar 9th 2013 at 04:23 pm 17

Martin’s lucky. When I was his age I would have gotten my cheeks pinched.