I’ve got a lovely pair of coconuts…

Cidu Bill on Feb 27th 2013

coconuts.gif

Where can this possibly be taking place??

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor, snowmen | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “I’ve got a lovely pair of coconuts…”

1. John in Tronna Feb 27th 2013 at 01:05 pm 1

Judging from the backdrop, snow on conifers, etc…anywhere currently wintry. I assume that the coconuts for the bra were probably bought in the same grocery store as the carrots.
    Oddly enough, at the dollar store around the corner from my job, you can buy (plastic) coconut bras practically year round.

2. Cidu Bill Feb 27th 2013 at 01:14 pm 2

Okay, I guess I was thinking more Gilligan’s Islandy, not buying coconuts down at the A&P.

3. jzimbert Feb 27th 2013 at 01:18 pm 3

Did you know you can slap a mailing label and sufficient postage on a coconut and mail it without any packaging?

4. fj Feb 27th 2013 at 01:57 pm 4

Or the coconut could be carried by a swallow… An African swallow… or perhaps two swallows working together…

5. DPWally Feb 27th 2013 at 02:27 pm 5

I’m not an expert in snowwoman anatomy, but shouldn’t there be a little space between the coconut shells?

6. Elyrest Feb 27th 2013 at 03:16 pm 6

DPWally - She’s doing the best she can with plastic coconuts.

7. Frosted Donut Feb 27th 2013 at 03:44 pm 7

Or, you know, if could be taking place on Mauna Kea, which stands about as tall as Mt. Rainier.

8. Paperboy Feb 27th 2013 at 04:14 pm 8

The Land of Living Snow People.

9. Mark in Boston Feb 27th 2013 at 06:08 pm 9

Why isn’t she more upset that he’s naked?

10. J-L Feb 27th 2013 at 06:44 pm 10

Okay, it took me a while to understand this joke. For one thing, I didn’t realize that the word “coals” (and who puts “coal” in the plural?) was a stand-in for “eyes,” as the mouth is clearly made of coal, but the eyes aren’t as obvious.

And since I’ve never heard the word “coals” before, I kept wondering if it was another word (possibly slang) for relatives, or fruity drinks.

Next, I misread the emphasis in the sentence. I read “Excuse me, but my coals are up here!” as you’d read “Excuse me, but my in-laws are up here (with me).”

And finally: Yes, I should have seen that she was pointing to her eyes with her arm, but then, the male snowman also has his arms in approximately the same position. So for all I could tell, they are doing the Macarena (remember that?).

So it’s as if the male snowman asked the female snowwoman to dance with him, but because her coals/parents/siblings were nearby, she was too embarrassed to join him. Just like a junior-high school dance.

11. fuzzmaster Feb 27th 2013 at 11:31 pm 11

J-L: You’ve never heard of carrying coals to Newcastle?

12. James Pollock Feb 28th 2013 at 01:44 am 12

“Frosty the snowman was a jolly happy soul
    With a corncob pipe and a button nose
    and two eyes made out of coal
    Frosty the snowman is a fairy tale they say
    He was made of snow but the children know
    how he came to life one day

There must have been some magic in that old silk hat they found
    For when they placed it on his head he began to dance around
    O, Frosty the snowman
    was alive as he could be
    And the children say he could laugh and play
    just the same as you and me

Frosty the snowman knew the sun was hot that day
    So he said “Let’s run and we’ll have some fun
    now before I melt away
    Down to the village with a broomstick in his hand
    Running here and there all around the square
    saying ‘Catch me if you can!’

He led them down the streets of town right to the traffic cop
    And he only paused a moment when he heard him holler “Stop!”
    For Frosty the snow man had to hurry on his way
    But he waved goodbye saying ‘Don’t you cry
    I’ll be back again some day!’”

13. Heather d Feb 28th 2013 at 07:47 am 13

#10 - You’ve never heard of raking someone over the coals? Or stoking the coals? Or ‘grill over hot coals’? While ‘coal’ in the singular is used as a collective noun referring to the stuff in general, the plural is indeed frequently used to refer to multiple individual coal ‘bits’.

14. chemgal Feb 28th 2013 at 10:23 am 14

fj - thanks; the Monty Python reference made me LOL

15. Dave in Asheville Mar 1st 2013 at 04:00 pm 15

The headline made me come for the Python… and I’m glad the comments delivered (though it’s not a question of grip).