Bats

Cidu Bill on Feb 27th 2013

bats.gif

Is there any logic in making this reference about a team that not only hits well year after year, but is famous for doing so?

Now, if you wanted to make a reference to not being able to get a runner in from third base with nobody out, that would be another matter: but this makes less sense than claiming that all New Yorkers wear black.

Filed in 9 Chickweed Lane, Brooke McEldowney, CIDU, New York Yankees, baseball, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Bats”

1. James Pollock Feb 28th 2013 at 01:34 am 1

People who take their baseball seriously don’t whack livestock with their bats. They’d find something else.

2. Frank the curmudgeon Feb 28th 2013 at 02:09 am 2

As the T shirts at Fenway say “YANKEES S***!”

3. Cidu Bill Feb 28th 2013 at 02:14 am 3

It must feel strange for the ballpark of a last-place team to sell t-shirts talking down a first-place team.

4. furrykef Feb 28th 2013 at 03:01 am 4

I think that’s called jealousy, Bill.

5. billybob Feb 28th 2013 at 04:11 am 5

If they began whaling, they were obviously Mariner fans.

6. DemetriosX Feb 28th 2013 at 06:38 am 6

Frank @2 may be on to something. Although Edda, Amos, and the various ancillary characters they interact with regularly live in NYC, Juliette et al. live in New Hampshire. It’s been close to 20 years since I followed baseball (I walked away when they canceled the World Series and never looked back), but IIRC NH is within the Red Sox market and tends to support them, so any chance to slam the Yankees is going to be taken.

7. Judge Mental Feb 28th 2013 at 10:00 am 7

I think “Yankee fans” is merely a substitute for “baseball fans”. The context Being “Baseball bats? (Why would these two even have baseball bats just lying around?) They’re clearly not Yankee (baseball) fans.”

It could have been written “Red Sox fans” or “Cub fans” , but Muldowney arbitrarily chose Yankees (such that choosing what is probably the most famous baseball team would be arbitrary)

8. Judge Mental Feb 28th 2013 at 10:01 am 8

I goofed McEldowney’s last name, but hopefully you know what I meant.

9. AMC Feb 28th 2013 at 10:11 am 9

The Yankees’ batting woes in the playoffs were epic. They are what most casual fans remember most.

The jokes are about the Yankees inability to hit - an to most, they are completely understandable.

Sitting ARod. The failure of Swisher, Granderson, Martin and Cano to hit. 20+ innings that they were shut out. Getting swept by the Tigers while looking like they had no idea what the lumber on their shoulders was to be used for.

“New York’s hitting was abysmal throughout the playoffs. Robinson Cano was at .075 (3 for 40) with no home runs, including a 29 at-bat hitless streak. Curtis Granderson was 3 for 30 with 16 strikeouts, Nick Swisher hit .167 (5 for 30) with two RBIs, Russell Martin hit .161 (5 for 31) with one RBI and Eric Chavez finished 0 for 16 with eight strikeouts.

“It wasn’t one guy. It wasn’t two guys,” Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. “It was a bunch of guys.”"

It was an epic fail, and it is being reflected in the comics.

Not that hard to understand if you aren’t a Yankees fan.

10. Cidu Bill Feb 28th 2013 at 11:31 am 10

True, AMC, that was a sad affair (though I think it was made worse by Jeter’s injury, which was a demoralizing last straw) — but the fact remains that for the purposes of a joke (unless this comic ran in late October), you don’t use a team that’s been known for its power since the 1920s as an example of “not knowing how to use bats”: that’s putting hate for a baseball team ahead of writing a comprehensible comic.

It’s like doing a joke based on the premise that Hitchcock was a terrible filmmaker, and justifying it because he’d made Topaz.

11. AMC Feb 28th 2013 at 11:52 am 11

So, the perceptions comics should play to are that Lance Armstrong is a great bicycle racer, Manti Te’o is a terrific Notre Dame player and the Heisman runner up, and Bobby Petrino motorcycle jokes are incomprehensible.

Jokes have to be based on some longer history.

Got it.

12. Cidu Bill Feb 28th 2013 at 12:17 pm 12

The difference is that Lance Armstrong’s fraud invalidated his cycling career and this is what he’ll be remembered for; and I suspect that most people had no idea who Manti Te’o was before the girlfriend business.

The first thing that comes to mind when people say “New York Yankees” will not generally be “man, they sucked in the 2012 playoffs.”

(Note to Red Sox fans: they were in the 2012 playoffs)

When you make a humorous reference to somebody or something, it only works if the aspect you’re referring to comes quickly to mind.

13. fj Feb 28th 2013 at 01:05 pm 13

I used to visit NH quite often for business reasons. My interpretation of the comic was that it was just your typical Red Sox fan Yankee bashing. For me, that was the joke (not that it is that much of a joke)– Red Sox fans bash the Yankees at any opportunity (regardless of if their team is better or not). I didn’t even think about the 2012 ALCS until AMC brought it up, and I’m a Tiger fan!

14. Wendy Feb 28th 2013 at 01:08 pm 14

I agree with Bill’s remark in 12, because it especially applies to people who don’t follow baseball. I had no clue that the Yankees had a terrible time in the playoffs this year. But I do generally think of them as one of the better teams all around. (If I have to claim a team, I root for Tampa teams, as I grew up there.)

But ignoring all that, I think the final response really doesn’t make any sense. Unless the premise is supposed to be that these guys shouldn’t have bats at all, because they don’t seem like the baseball fan “type”, I’m lost. Why would anyone respond to an animal being batt(er)ed with a remark about which team they supported? I’d be more likely to say, “Bats?! Did you call the cops on them?”

To end all my rambling, I will conclude that the joke was intended as AMC explained, but I think it’s a fail, since only people who care about baseball would have a clue.

15. Frank the curmudgeon Feb 28th 2013 at 01:52 pm 15

Just for the record, I’m not a Red Sox (or baseball) fan. However, YANKEES S*** !

16. Mark M Feb 28th 2013 at 03:38 pm 16

I don’t know about the Smuckling brothers but I bet the cow is a fan of the Bulls.

17. Judge Mental Feb 28th 2013 at 05:36 pm 17

I don’t understand the reasoning that this is about the the Yankees’ “poor performance”. Is the implication that as a Yankee fan they would also be poor at swinging a bat? That makes no sense whatsoever. “I like the Yankees, so I am going to emulate their poor hitting”… fandom doesn’t work that way. You root for your team to do well, you don’t decide stinking is the new goal because it fits what your team is doing.

18. Mark in Boston Mar 1st 2013 at 06:31 pm 18

There are more Yankees fans in Massachusetts than in New Hampshire. Berkshire County is right up against New York State, all the TV stations you get there are from Schenectady and Albany, and Boston is way far away.

19. Meryl A Mar 6th 2013 at 01:50 am 19

The Yankees/ baseball etc. is bad enough since it seems to involve beating a cow that just gave birth, but does she mean that she took the cow and calf (rustled) as they were going to beat them?