Black

Cidu Bill on Feb 26th 2013

black.gif

I don’t know where she’s been, but I’ve been to New York; and huh???

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jan Eliot, New York City, Stone Soup, comic strips, comics, humor | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Black”

1. Mark Feb 26th 2013 at 02:06 pm 1

“New Yorkers wear black all the time” is a pretty common trope, and one that I’d say is true, at least of the creative class.

2. Rasheed Feb 26th 2013 at 04:38 pm 2

SoHo?

3. Cidu Bill Feb 26th 2013 at 05:31 pm 3

I’m not saying there aren’t New Yorkers who wear black, or even that there might be neighborhoods in New York where black is somewhat common (such as SoHo; in 1962): but as a generalization, it’s way too random to make any sense as a punchline.

4. James Pollock Feb 26th 2013 at 05:35 pm 4

Isn’t the punchline supposed to be that Val doesn’t know anything more about NYC than she does about Paris?

5. Cidu Bill Feb 26th 2013 at 05:48 pm 5

Maybe that’s what Eliot had in mind — though Val’s rolled-up eyes seems to give the impression she thinks Joan is the ignorant one, so it really isn’t clear. And let’s face it, most comic strip readers probably know less about New York than I know about Paris.

6. Elyrest Feb 26th 2013 at 05:59 pm 6

I don’t know about New York, but I have been to weddings in Connecticut where the guests wore more black than I’ve seen at many of the funerals I’ve been to in other places.

7. jp Feb 26th 2013 at 07:32 pm 7

Bill — Where in The City are you doing your observations? Down where I am (8th Ave & 15th) it makes perfect sense, this time of the year. Black skirts, black leggings/pantyhose, black tops, …

Of course, this is where the really fashionable people hang out :-)

-jp

8. Meryl A Feb 27th 2013 at 01:04 am 8

It’s just fashion knowledge to Val that everyone fashionable in big cities wears black. Not that it is necessarily true.

When I was in college I was going to Mexico City and Acapulco with a girl friend. The AAA guide said that one should dress in dresses or skirts as it was a “cosmopolitan city” and that jeans were not proper. So we shlepped same to wear. Did not really pay attention to whether others were dressed the same, but the guys we met were in jeans. The next year I was going to London with some friends (but we never made it, long story involving rotating black outs and parents’ worries) and the AAA guide for London said the same. I got the NY AAA guide and it said the same thing, even though I never dressed up to go to the NYC other than for work and dressy parties (wedding, baptism…). So this is how this sort of false information spreads, plus the fashion industry shows.

Meryl A

9. Morris Keesan Feb 27th 2013 at 07:58 am 9

jp #7: Those sound like some very fashion-forward men hanging out where you are.

10. Powers Feb 27th 2013 at 09:29 am 10

Meryl: I checked my copy of the New York tour book and couldn’t find much advice on dress. I believe AAA tries to provide general guidance, and the recommendation against jeans may have been aimed at making the most flexible recommendation, allowing a visitor to go to both casual and more dressy events.

11. Daniel J. Drazen Feb 27th 2013 at 10:12 am 11

“Dress like New Yorkers” in some neighborhoods would mean wearing a black suit, white shirt, and a yarmulke.

12. Elyrest Feb 27th 2013 at 11:17 am 12

When I was a kid back in the 60’s my parents would make us dress up to go to the big city - Pittsburgh. The fact that we were going to a Pittsburgh Pirate baseball game didn’t matter. We were going to the city so we had to dress in our Sunday best.

13. Cidu Bill Feb 27th 2013 at 01:18 pm 13

“Dress like New Yorkers” can also mean traditional Chinese clothing, Jamaican shirts, Ethiopian robes… there probably isn’t a single ethnic or cultural group not significantly represented in New York City.

14. Cidu Bill Feb 27th 2013 at 01:20 pm 14

Elyrest, this isn’t a surprise: if you look at film taken at ballparks in the early 1960s, you’ll see the stands filled with men wearing suits.

(By the late 60s, though, not so much)

Well into the 70s, I wouldn’t go to a Broadway play without wearing a suit.

15. Morris Keesan Feb 27th 2013 at 01:32 pm 15

I still usually wear a jacket and tie when going to the theatre.

(Bill #13: Mbenga people? It depends, I suppose, on what you mean by “significantly”.)

16. Mark in Boston Feb 27th 2013 at 06:20 pm 16

Daniel J. Drazen @11: Makes me think of the old Jewish Joke: Mama and Papa sent their son Shmuel off for his freshman year at Yeshiva. At the end of the semester he came back wearing a long black coat, black Homburg, full beard, payess [side whiskers] down to his shoulders. Mama said “Papa, come look at our Sammy — he’s a regular Joe College!”

17. Morris Keesan Feb 27th 2013 at 06:28 pm 17

Don’t forget the tzitzis.

18. Bob Feb 28th 2013 at 08:50 am 18

Elyrest - thanks for making me think of Forbes Field. Good memories.

19. Elyrest Feb 28th 2013 at 09:27 am 19

Bob - Forbes Field was great! I went to college in Pittsburgh and I would occasionally go to the old site and look around and remember. I have to say I liked Three Rivers too and find it hard to believe it’s also gone. I haven’t seen the newest, PNC Park, but I drove through Pittsburgh a couple of years ago and the the Point looked a little wrong without Three Rivers.

20. Rasheed Feb 28th 2013 at 04:31 pm 20

This happened to be on the front page of msn just now:

21. Meryl A Mar 6th 2013 at 02:04 am 21

Powers -

I should have mentioned that this was the late 1970’s books. I thought that the mention of when I was in college would put it back awhile ago. The books were very definite on one should not wear jeans or slacks (for women).

22. Jason Mar 21st 2013 at 09:35 pm 22

This was true in the early 00’s, I don’t know how accurate it is nowadays.