Social Media

Cidu Bill on Feb 20th 2013

socialmedia.gif

Jon Delfin nominated this for our first-ever “Was he drunk when he did the lettering?” tag.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, John Deering, comic strips, comics, humor | 24 responses so far

24 Responses to “Social Media”

1. James Pollock Feb 20th 2013 at 12:23 am 1

It looks fine without the “then” on the first line, which was probably a late addition. Not sure why, it doesn’t add much, if anything.

2. Kilby Feb 20th 2013 at 12:27 am 2

I still prefer drunk but authentic hand-lettering to any perfectly kerned, computer-generated “hand lettering” font.

P.S. The number of children’s books that use “Comic Sans” or some other equally atrocious font to mimic “preschool quality” writing is simply astounding (and disgusting).

3. Paperboy Feb 20th 2013 at 01:24 am 3

Comic strips don’t pay enough to have assistants anymore. Writers who can’t draw use stick figures, and letterers are no more. Where have you gone, Artie Simek…

4. furrykef Feb 20th 2013 at 06:31 am 4

Paperboy — I hear ya. I’ve recently taken a shot at digitally hand-lettering on my computer (using an Intuos tablet and then a Cintiq) and I loved it. And I would love getting a job doing it, if only such jobs existed anymore.

5. mitch4 Feb 20th 2013 at 07:02 am 5

Are these “great stone faces” meant to stand in for present-day Facebook, or some hypothesized ancient predecessor?

6. Scott from Ohio Feb 20th 2013 at 07:14 am 6

In ancient comic history, cavemen had stone tablets instead of books. Carving a face in stone was therefore their equivalent to a literal facebook.

7. Ian Osmond Feb 20th 2013 at 07:46 am 7

mitch4 @ 5 — yeah, I think that’s the joke. We now have a book of a face, on the computer; they had a carving of a face, in a rock.

8. Kilby Feb 20th 2013 at 08:49 am 8

P.S. @ 7 - … and from our standpoint they wasted an unbelievable amount of time a resources to carve those faces into those rocks, whereas we
    … waste probably even more time posting images and other nonsense onto Facebook.

9. AMC Feb 20th 2013 at 08:50 am 9

So, back in the day on Easter Island, the most popular messages was: “why the long face”?

10. padraig Feb 20th 2013 at 09:30 am 10

The off kilter heads reminded me of the last B.C. I ever LOL’ed at, roughly 1987, featuring the adulterous ant couple:

Wife ant: Jake, have you been cheating on me?
    Husband ant: Honey, I’ve been as true as my Grand-dad’s plumb bob!
    Wife ant: You cad! Granny’s outhouse had a 30-degree list!

(And yes, even back then I had to look up what a “plumb bob” was. WITHOUT the Internet!)

11. igeek Feb 20th 2013 at 09:36 am 11

Plumb silly.

12. Jon Delfin Feb 20th 2013 at 11:43 am 12

The “then,” yes, but also the wide left margin and every line hugging the right edge.

13. Chakolate Feb 20th 2013 at 12:10 pm 13

mitch4 @ 5,

I suspect the joke has to do with the fact that the Easter Island ‘heads’ have been found to have bodies. Archeologists have dug out the heads, and the bodies have hieroglyphs/pictographs carved on them.

14. Judge Mental Feb 20th 2013 at 12:27 pm 14

While I still read it semi-regularly, I have dropped “Get Fuzzy” from my daily reads because I often skip over it because I find the font is unpleasant to read. And it is not “messy”, or even too small, there is just something about it that is uncomfortable to my eyes.

15. Cidu Bill Feb 20th 2013 at 05:32 pm 15

Hand-lettering might have been fine 40 years ago; but now, with newspaper comic strips shrunken to near-unreadability, what cartoonists need is a font that’s easy to read even when tiny.

16. Mark in Boston Feb 20th 2013 at 05:32 pm 16

Maybe they should just switch to typesetting the dialog, like most of the comics in Mad magazine have been for the last 50 years.

17. Nitric Acid Feb 20th 2013 at 05:33 pm 17

The educational institution I work at insists on putting a lot of instructional material in Comic Sans. We’re a college.

18. Cidu Bill Feb 20th 2013 at 06:25 pm 18

Clown college?

19. Cidu Bill Feb 20th 2013 at 06:27 pm 19

sans.png

20. Cidu Bill Feb 20th 2013 at 06:29 pm 20

I’d say typesetting is a must, Mark, or else Lio will be the only comic left (Henry’s no longer with us, is he?)

But without the proper font, even that wouldn’t be a solution.

21. James Pollock Feb 20th 2013 at 08:09 pm 21

Sergio Aragones proved that you can shrink a comic way down and still have it be funny… mostly (but not entirely) without any text. I hope that’s not the target, though.

22. VCR Feb 21st 2013 at 03:24 pm 22

@Kilby (1): I actually find Comic Sans quite useful. It was designed to be more relaxing than other fonts, such as Times New Roman.

It is a bit overused, though.

23. Mark in Boston Feb 22nd 2013 at 01:49 am 23

The only thing wrong with Comic Sans is that it was not specified by a focus group and designed by an Algorithmic Calligraphy expert at a cost of 20 million dollars. Complaining about it is like complaining about the Hollywood sign, or “Wipeout” by The Surfaris (made up in the studio on the spot, because the record needed a B side).

24. Kilby Feb 22nd 2013 at 03:16 am 24

I don’t specifically hate Comic Sans when used in children’s books. I despise all of those infantile “childlike” fonts, especially when they are used in children’s books. Don’t show my kids an imitation of how some idiot imagines a child would write. Show my kids properly drawn letters (perhaps not perfect, but reasonably close to it), so as to provide a suitable example for them to imitate. This is not an idle complaint, my son tends to misidentify a capital “A” in Comic Sans as being an “R” (which, if you look at it, is not all that errant).