Katanas

Cidu Bill on Feb 18th 2013

cidu-katana.png

And seriously, nothing personal C&H Guys, but… Worst Obama Ever! I’m artistically challenged, and even I’d know to put big ears on the guy.

And while we’re on the topic, this reminds me why John McCain should be thankful he lost in 2008: looking at how much four years on the job has aged Obama, a young healthy guy when he started, if there any possibility McCain would survived?

Filed in Barack Obama, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cyanide and Happiness, John McCain, comic strips, comics, humor, katanas | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Katanas”

1. James Pollock Feb 18th 2013 at 12:14 am 1

C&H characters don’t seem to have ANY ears.

2. Sili Feb 18th 2013 at 12:26 am 2

Nice job making me wish McCain had won …

3. Kilby Feb 18th 2013 at 01:30 am 3

I have no knowledge about the C&H traditions, but I think the humor in this one works better when I assume that the black man is not actually Obama, but just someone impersonating Obama for the satiric effect.

4. Proginoskes Feb 18th 2013 at 01:30 am 4

@ Sili: But then that half-wit half-term governor would be President!

5. James Pollock Feb 18th 2013 at 02:27 am 5

“@ Sili: But then that half-wit half-term governor would be President!”
    Unless she quit.

6. Lost in A**2 Feb 18th 2013 at 07:39 am 6

I have so little faith in our populace that I did not expect EITHER candidate to survive their first term. So I voted on the basis of their VP selections.

But I still don’t understand the CIDU tag.

7. AMC Feb 18th 2013 at 08:37 am 7

Sarcastic “Thanks Obama” memes are having their 15 minutes.

8. Powers Feb 18th 2013 at 08:42 am 8

Actually, McCain may have survived his first term thanks to general obliviousness. Part of the reason Obama had such a rough time is that he knew what was going on, and cared about how his policies were received.

9. padraig Feb 18th 2013 at 10:09 am 9

Good point Powers. The obliviousness strategy served W well for EIGHT years. And counting! (Turns out W is a fairly decent painter, though. He can use that to get back at Trudeau.)

10. Lost in A**2 Feb 18th 2013 at 12:30 pm 10

Hmm… Carter vs Reagan?

11. Mark M Feb 18th 2013 at 01:12 pm 11

Am I the only one confused by the last panel?

12. Dyfsunctional Feb 18th 2013 at 02:29 pm 12

As noted above, the “Thanks, Obama” meme is meant sarcastically, although it is kind of double-sarcastic: it skewers people who blame everything from their favorite show being cancelled to their dog dying on the Chief Executive. Every President has to deal with this, but it seems it’s been more vituperative in the last few years. Perhaps the C&H Obama is aware of and confused by the meme, or perhaps he’s just taken so much abuse that he doesn’t know what to do to make people happy anymore.

13. AMC Feb 18th 2013 at 02:50 pm 13

There is also a gun owner vs. ninja fan riff in there as well.

14. James Pollock Feb 18th 2013 at 04:25 pm 14

Katana are associated with samurai, not ninja.
    (I looked it up in a dictionary, and no plural form was given for “katana”.)

15. Nitric Acid Feb 18th 2013 at 04:33 pm 15

James- that’s not what I learned from watching Ninjago!

16. AMC Feb 18th 2013 at 05:08 pm 16

17. Dyfsunctional Feb 18th 2013 at 05:09 pm 17

Japanese doesn’t have plurals in the same way that English does, but most loan words in English are pluralized according to English rules.

18. Mark in Boston Feb 18th 2013 at 07:23 pm 18

He’s got no ears, so how do his glasses stay on?

Actually, since they’re off again two panels later, I guess they don’t.

19. James Pollock Feb 18th 2013 at 07:25 pm 19

From the link provided by AMC:
    “The Ninja Katana was usually a stolen Samurai sword.”

from dictionary.com
    katana, n. a long, curved single-edged sword traditionally used by Japanese samurai

20. padraig Feb 19th 2013 at 10:34 am 20

One of the Ninja Turtles has a katana. What more proof could we need?

21. James Pollock Feb 19th 2013 at 10:50 am 21

Three of the ninja turtles don’t. What more proof do you need?

22. AMC Feb 19th 2013 at 01:11 pm 22

But, the samurai did not use two katanas - they used a long sword (the katana) and a shorter companion sword (a wakizashi, shoto, or tanto) which together with the comprised the daisho.

Plus, katanas - at least those in the last 1,000 years - are curved, not straight, as depicted in the cartoon. They also have longer handles - for two handed wielding when used alone.

C&H is all about the pop culture references - not historical accuracy. And ninjas are hotter in popular culture than samurai. Hence, Obama is a ninja. An earless ninja.

23. James Pollock Feb 19th 2013 at 03:09 pm 23

I was willing to overlook the fact that the swords aren’t drawn correctly for the same reason I’d overlook the fact that President Obama does not normally wear what appears to be a skirt suit.