Sunday Funnies: LOL, February 17, 2013

lol-popcorn.gif

lol-logic-smbc.gif

Morris Keesan:

lol-morris-biff.jpg

Lola:

404.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Book of Biff, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dilbert, Garfield, Jim Davis, Non Sequitur, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Scott Adams, Wiley Miller, Zach Weiner, Zits, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, February 17, 2013”

1. Arthur Feb 17th 2013 at 12:08 am 1

I guess it would ruin the joke, but I thought all of us
    geezers knew that you use a pencil to rewind cassette tapes.

2. Slager Feb 17th 2013 at 12:45 am 2

Aaahh! I laughed out loud at “Garfield”! Who am I?!

3. Sheep Feb 17th 2013 at 12:52 am 3

Arthur, I am 22 and I know the trick about pencil. :)

4. Kilby Feb 17th 2013 at 12:57 am 4

@ Dilbert - Lola must have been digging very deep in the archive, this one is from 2006.
    @ Garfield - Those lips make me think that Liz should join “Botoxiholics Anonymous”.
    @ Zits - Why tweezers? The classic tool for rewinding a cassette tape is a pencil (one with a hexagonal cross-section).

5. Kilby Feb 17th 2013 at 12:59 am 5

@ me (4) - I hate it when I forget to refresh the page before posting. Kudos to Arthur @1.

6. Kamino Neko Feb 17th 2013 at 01:53 am 6

I can’t imagine how terrible the sound on that tape will be if the tape was out of the cassette to the extent it took him an whole hour to put it back…..

7. Larry Lunts Feb 17th 2013 at 04:49 am 7

After a lot of study, I realized that the Wiley cartoon was meant to show a mechanic on a creeper, underneath a horizontally positioned bookshelf several inches from the floor, studying the books on “auto mechanics” as though he was using his creeper under a car body. The illustration doesn’t immediately suggest this, since it just look like a bookshelf has fallen over and crushed a library patron. Ok, assuming the library has a bookshelf that is positioned horizontally, several inches above the floor, for creeper-loving patrons of auto mechanics books; why haven’t all of those books fallen on top of the creeper patron, (you know, gravity) and killed him?

8. Bob in Nashville Feb 17th 2013 at 07:31 am 8

Larry @ 7. Cartoon physics.

9. The Bad Seed Feb 17th 2013 at 09:08 am 9

Kilby #4 - not for nothing, but Botox makes your face numb, not plump. They plump lips with injections of substances derived from human tissue or bone (like hyaluronic acid, human or bovine collagen, or - grossest of all - they insert an actual strip of cadaver skin under your skin) or silicone. I can’t imagine a world where anything of these things would appeal to me, by the way, especially considering the risks of ending up looking like a cartoon.

10. Lola Feb 17th 2013 at 09:56 am 10

Kilby, I actually got that as something akin to a 404 page. Sometimes I get weeks behind on the comics that are not my absolute favorites (Bug, XKCD, Out There) so when I entered a date into the address bar that was more than two weeks old it took me there.

11. Frank the curmudgeon Feb 17th 2013 at 10:17 am 11

@Sheep - Welcome to honorary geezerdom.

12. padraig Feb 17th 2013 at 11:40 am 12

I thought the library one was about a bookshelf falling on someone, hence my non-hilarity. And I’ve USED those creepers in my distant past. Seems an awful lot of cartoons become CIDU’s due to the artist’s Trudeau Syndrome (”I write good so I don’t need to draw good.”)

13. Keera Feb 17th 2013 at 12:56 pm 13

I used tweezers for my cassette repairs. Better grip.

All good finds, this Sunday!

14. jerrythemacguy Feb 17th 2013 at 02:38 pm 14

Vinyl records have had something of a renaissance and are somewhat popular again, especially among audiophiles and hipsters, but there is also a fledgling effort to bring back cassettes. Ugh! That is an obsolete technology we could do without. It is so nice to see city streets clear of the tangles of tape that angry motorists used to fling out of windows after the cassettes jammed in their car stereos.

15. John Small Berries Feb 17th 2013 at 05:03 pm 15

Slager: This is the only Garfield strip that I can recall actually laughing out loud at.

16. Mark in Boston Feb 17th 2013 at 06:00 pm 16

jerrythemacguy, there was a fellow in the Boston area a while back who made a hobby of collecting “audio roadkill”. He’d find all those discarded messes of tape by the side of the road, straighten them out and splice them into cassettes and listen to them. Strange hobby.

17. jerrythemacguy Feb 17th 2013 at 10:47 pm 17

Mark, I wish we had some strange hobbyist in L.A. at the time. That stuff was everywhere. It was weird to see fugitive tape going down streets like tumbleweeds, blown by the Santa Ana winds!

18. zbicyclist Feb 18th 2013 at 09:53 pm 18

@Larry Lunts

“…Ok, assuming the library has a bookshelf that is positioned horizontally, several inches above the floor, for creeper-loving patrons of auto mechanics books; why haven’t all of those books fallen on top of the creeper patron, (you know, gravity) and killed him?”

If he’s on a creeper, he can’t look down. Roadrunner’s second law of cartoons is that nothing in a cartoon has to obey the law of gravity until you look down.

19. Carolyn Feb 19th 2013 at 09:29 am 19

XKCD=CIDU

20. Kilby Feb 19th 2013 at 10:20 am 20

@ Carolyn (19) - There is no XKCD on this page (the stick figure above is a different comic). Or were you speaking for yourself, as a general rule?

21. Pinny Feb 19th 2013 at 01:21 pm 21

I don’t get the “minimumble”. What does the caption have to do with an upside-down exclamation point with a chain?

22. Meryl A Feb 19th 2013 at 11:35 pm 22

I always hated cassettes because they jammed. Greatly preferred vinyl. Last vinyl we bought was Christmas songs played as if they were written by classical musicians (Bach, etc.) and had to be returned as it had a skip. Between when we bought the record before Christmas and returned it immediately after, the entire vinyl department (Tower Records) disappeared and there was not one left. You do know it was a plot by the entertainment industry to make everyone rebuy their entire collection? I have not purchased for myself nor received any music recordings since as I hate the sound of CDs. They sound too tinny to me, but then again nothing sounds to me like it does to others (don’t even hear stereo).

Now as to turning the cassette - I used to use my pinky, it is small enough to fit the holes.

23. jerrythemacguy Feb 20th 2013 at 12:25 am 23

Vinyl records are making a small comeback. Sales to audiophiles, Hipsters, DJs and skratch disc artists have been growing for the last several years. The irony is that while vinyl is available again, Tower Records is gone. They closed their doors several years ago.