Why Did the Chicken Cross the Turnstile?

Cidu Bill on Feb 15th 2013

Lola submitted the comic and the subject line.

chicken.gif

My own best guess is that this is supposed to be analogous to freed slaves.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bizarro, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 24 responses so far

24 Responses to “Why Did the Chicken Cross the Turnstile?”

1. Ron Feb 15th 2013 at 12:20 am 1

I thought this one was fairly obvious. The big deal about the
    non-free-range birds is they’re all kept in small cages. So, either
    this one is free-range or it’s an escapee.

And, yes, it is somewhat analogous to freed slaves.

2. James Schend Feb 15th 2013 at 01:14 am 2

Maybe free range chickens get free transit and caged ones don’t? So the transit cop is asking for ID– ok I’m stumped.

3. The Vicar Feb 15th 2013 at 01:18 am 3

Who cares about the actual joke? The ads in the train car are almost perfect parodies of actual train ads.

4. Lost in A**2 Feb 15th 2013 at 05:33 am 4

To me, it looks like a riff on illegal immigration, a la Cheech and Chong’s “Born in East L.A.”

5. Mike D Feb 15th 2013 at 07:25 am 5

The title above the comic on Piraro’s blog is “Escaped Slave”.

6. Powers Feb 15th 2013 at 08:38 am 6

Free-range chickens are no less captive; they just have a larger prison.

7. Dan W Feb 15th 2013 at 08:42 am 7

Beats me, but I like the sign that says “If you suspect a fellow passenger of being a terrorist, throw your flag lapel pin at [them and] sing ‘America the Beautiful’” (I couldn’t make those two words out so I am guessing).

8. mitch4 Feb 15th 2013 at 09:19 am 8

The level of detail and cleverness (in the ads, and clothes, and just overall) is really awesome!

I think the guy in the right-edge foreground may be a self-portrait.

9. farmer Feb 15th 2013 at 09:19 am 9

Powers,

Depends on the farm. My flock are quite capable of escaping into the wild if they want to, yet they return home every night. They’re either too dumb/unevolved to understand the situation, or have made the devil’s bargain that a comfortable life is worth a shorter one with less than ideal freedom.

Kind of like me following laws I don’t like. I could go anarchist, but I value my quality of life more than my absolute freedom. Chickens, simple as they are, engage in the same calculation at some level.

10. padraig Feb 15th 2013 at 09:59 am 10

I was too busy trying to figure out which municipality has such stylish double-breasted police uniforms. Is that supposed to be the Paris subway?

11. billybob Feb 15th 2013 at 10:31 am 11

Underground railroad?

12. Soup Dragon Feb 15th 2013 at 10:49 am 12

(From http://bizarrocomics.com/)

Escaped Slave

Today’s Sunday comic was fun to draw. I love coming up with weird characters, especially on a subway (which is rife with them, at least in NYC where I used to live), but my favorite part is the overhead adverts.

13. Kilby Feb 15th 2013 at 11:00 am 13

@ Dan W (7) - “…pin at [them and] sing ‘America the Beautiful’…
    Almost, I think it’s an ampersand at the end of the line. I read it as “… pin at HIM & sing …” - which implies that only males would be suspected of being terrorists.

14. Kilby Feb 15th 2013 at 11:03 am 14

@ padraig (10) - I think that double-breasted jacket and the black turtleneck are supposed to evoke a stormtrooperish “facist” look, rather appropriate for a cop who is trying to interrogate a chicken.

15. Kilby Feb 15th 2013 at 11:04 am 15

P.S. @ Soup Dragon (12) - That’s cheating.

16. Soup Dragon Feb 15th 2013 at 11:48 am 16

Kilby @15: Coming here to get comics explained is not cheating?

Piraro’s page has the comic in bigger format, BTW, worth a peek.

17. Bob Feb 15th 2013 at 12:43 pm 17

Thanks, Soup Dragon (12) - I spent so much time on Piraro’s site, I don’t have any (lunch break) time for CIDU.

18. Kamino Neko Feb 15th 2013 at 12:58 pm 18

I can only find 7/8 easter eggs, unless Piraro’s self-portrait is supposed to count….

19. Lost in A**2 Feb 15th 2013 at 01:46 pm 19

Did you count both slices of pie? I didn’t count the ones I found.

20. Kamino Neko Feb 15th 2013 at 01:52 pm 20

Yep. 2 pie, K2, eyeball, dynamite, alien, bird. 7, total.

21. Bodkin Van Horn Feb 15th 2013 at 03:09 pm 21

Apparently the fish tail is a seldom used secret symbol

22. Mary in Ohio Feb 15th 2013 at 05:53 pm 22

Today’s “Rhymes With Orange” adds another dimension to this discussion.

23. Kilby Feb 16th 2013 at 10:27 pm 23

@ Soup Dragon (16) - It is certainly not cheating to come to CIDU for explanations, my reference (@12) was a spin on the CIDU FAQ, but I really didn’t intend that anyone should take it seriously: “We don’t encourage artists to explain their own comics, because they’ve already had their chance to make us understand. Also, it’s more fun this way.

24. James Pollock Feb 16th 2013 at 10:40 pm 24

Plus, who says that the creators of art and literature were actually aware of the symbolism embedded in their work?