Fenway Park Update

Cidu Bill on Feb 14th 2013

Thanks to everybody who sent me advice about Fenway Park. I did end up getting the tickets (after spending half an hour on an online queue): right field, upper deck. Not my first choice, but the choice was pretty much Hobson’s.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Fenway Park | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Fenway Park Update”

1. Someone else Feb 14th 2013 at 01:55 pm 1

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes, what is that which the breeze o’er the towering steep as it fitfully blows now conceals, now discloses? Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam, in full glory reflected now shines on the stream! Tis the Star Spangled Banner, oh long may it wave o’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

[From memory]

2. Another BF Feb 14th 2013 at 04:23 pm 2

Butch hasn’t played for the Sox in years. Why bring him into this? He did have some choices to make when he was manager, though.

3. J-L Feb 14th 2013 at 07:50 pm 3

This cartoon reminds me of the scene in the movie “The Naken Gun” where Leslie Nielsen’s character is pretending to be a famous singer singing the national anthem at a baseball game. He can’t remember all the words, so he flubs the song.

That scene is funny to anyone who’s ever forgotten the words to a song you thought you’d never forget.

4. amo Feb 15th 2013 at 10:09 am 4

Or the tune… I was singing Someone else’s lyrics to myself until I realized I was singing it to the tune of “The First Noel.”

5. Mark in Boston Feb 15th 2013 at 05:37 pm 5

Hey, it works with “The First Noel”, especially the B section (”Noel Noel Noel NOEL, Born is the King …”)

And the rockets’ red glare /
    The bombs BUR-sting in AIRRRRR, gave /
    Proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Too bad you have some words left over when the tune ends.

6. BERBER Feb 16th 2013 at 07:03 pm 6

Thank you Someone else for enlightening me. I was not aware of 3 more verses (you gave the 2nd from memory, and The Google filled in the remaining 2). And so much trouble with just the one we sing!

7. Lost in A**2 Feb 16th 2013 at 10:43 pm 7

(Years and years ago, I read a mystery-spy story that turned on that little idiosyncracy of ours: the imposter knew the third verse of the National Anthem.)

8. Kilby Feb 17th 2013 at 01:04 am 8

@ Lost (7) - That story might be hard to translate into German (because the third verse is the only verse that is sung in the German anthem).

9. Bob in Nashville Feb 17th 2013 at 07:36 am 9

Mark @ 5. Reminds me of hearing someone sing “Amazing Grace” to the tune of “The House of the Rising Sun.”

10. Kilby Feb 17th 2013 at 09:02 am 10

@ Bob (9) - That sounds like an excellent rendition. Any idea who the artist was?

11. Mark in Boston Feb 17th 2013 at 06:06 pm 11

I just realized this morning that “Passengers will please refrain from flushing toilet while the train is standing in a station I love you” is the same meter as Longfellow’s “Song of Hiawatha”. Which means you can sort of sing the Song of Hiawatha to Dvorak’s Humoresque, or if you prefer, you can sort of sing “Let’s go walking through the park, goosing statues in the dark” to any aria in Bela Bartok’s opera “Bluebeard’s Castle”.

12. Lost in A**2 Feb 17th 2013 at 07:50 pm 12

Kilby, I’ve not heard it done professionally, but that setting was popular in the early 70s, in some circles.

13. Bob in Nashville Feb 17th 2013 at 10:37 pm 13

@ Kilby, I haven’t heard anyone do it professionally, but I recall hearing it done by quite a few individuals in certain circles in the 80s.

14. Another BF Feb 19th 2013 at 08:22 pm 14

9, 10, 12, and 13 - let’s not forget that Amazing Grace also works with the Gilligan’s Island theme (as does any Common Meter poem / hymn).

And of course, there’s “Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening” to the tune of “Hernando’s Hideaway.”

Whose woods