Love and Death

Cidu Bill on Feb 12th 2013

love-and-death.gif

Was the arrow there all along but we just couldn’t see it?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Buni, CIDU, Valentine's Day, comic strips, comics, humor | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Love and Death”

1. farmer Feb 12th 2013 at 09:19 am 1

Look at the arrangement of Death’s arms. In panel 2, he’s got his right arm swung way back & left arm forward, meaning his back is oriented away from the viewer and thus arrow is going “into” the panel. In panel 3, arms are opposite (right arm forward, left back) and so he’s got his back swung toward the viewer and the arrow is now protruding into sight. Also works because in panel 2 Buni is on the far side of the sidewalk and so privy to the first view (far side of Death), while by panel 3 we see it for the first time. Pretty well constructed, IMHO.

2. Rasheed Feb 12th 2013 at 09:42 am 2

Death now has a love of Life

3. JHGRedekop Feb 12th 2013 at 10:02 am 3

Buni’s thought process:

Panel 1: Dum de dum…
    Panel 2: Woah! What’s gotten into Death?
    Panel 3: Ooooooh, I see… (and why can’t I ever find love when even Death can?)

4. Dan W Feb 12th 2013 at 10:40 am 4

5. Chakolate Feb 12th 2013 at 10:46 am 5

Here’s a dumb question for everybody: how do you pronounce ‘Buni’? We never hear it, except in our mind’s ear, but I always hear ‘BOO-nee’, even though it seems the author intended ‘bunny’.

Anybody?

6. J-L Feb 12th 2013 at 11:09 am 6

Chakolate (#5):

I imagine “Buni” as sounding the same way you imagine it to be — that is, rhyming with the word “loony.”

7. Lisah Feb 12th 2013 at 12:26 pm 7

My impression was that, in panel 2, death was ready to bite the head off the flower (a sort of ‘hateful’ death-like action). Then, in panel 3, after being hit with (cupid’s?) arrow of love, his nasty attitude toward life changes and he spares the flower.

8. Mike Feb 12th 2013 at 12:55 pm 8

I agree that the intention was that the arrow was there the whole time — Death is skipping in panel 2, and Buni is confused (and if the arrow struck Death in panel 3, I’m sure the cartoonist would have some flying lines or a “thunk”). But while the arrow is only visible to us in panel 3 but hidden in panel 2 because of the way Death turns, it should be the opposite for Buni and he shouldn’t be confused.

9. Judge Mental Feb 12th 2013 at 03:42 pm 9

I think this one has been analyzed to death (pun intended), but it won’t stop me from adding my two cents.

I agree with the assertion that the arrow was there the whole time and we just just couldn’t see it from our vantage point. I think he is “smelling” the flow in panel two (I won’t speculate how he does it without a nose) as opposed to about to bite it (no mouth either)

In panel 2, we can’t see the arrow because it it is shielded by Death from a “depth-wise” perspective.
    Buni can’t see the arrow in panel 2 because the arrow is shielded by Death from a “left-right” perspective (as we are looking at it)

10. Mark in Boston Feb 12th 2013 at 09:18 pm 10

I certainly feel sorry for whoever Death was looking at when the arrow hit.

11. mitch4 Feb 13th 2013 at 01:23 am 11

I don’t see this strip regularly, but agree it seems often funi.

12. Jerry Feb 13th 2013 at 06:05 am 12

The key seems to me to be that death not only is holding a flower but that he is skipping throughout. Couple that with Valentine’s Day and the obvious Cupid’s arrow, not just any old arrow, and it seems Death is happy and in love, ironically. So, yes, the arrow is implied in the second panel.

13. Dan W Feb 13th 2013 at 08:22 am 13

Chakolate (5) and J-L (6): I always think of it as “Bunny”.

14. Morris Keesan Feb 13th 2013 at 01:36 pm 14

I agree that the arrow was there, unseen, in panel 2.
    And I’ve only just started reading Buni, based on a recommendation here a few days ago, but I’ve been thinking of the name as a homophone of “bunny”.

15. MollyJ Feb 14th 2013 at 01:45 am 15

Anyone ever seen the play or the movie of Death Takes a Holiday? It was remade (very, very badly) some years ago as Meet Joe Black. The conceit of the play is that death comes to earth personified, trying to understand humans better and, more particularly, why they fear him so. During his time away, nothing and no one dies. Flowers don’t wilt. A man jumps off the Eiffel Tower and lives. But I digress.

During his time on earth, Death meets and falls in love with young Grazia, and begins to understand the role that love and the pain of losing the ones you love play in the fear of death. It’s a great film and/or play if you ever get a chance to see it.

16. Chakolate Feb 14th 2013 at 12:01 pm 16

MollyJ,

I saw that, many years ago. The fact that I still remember it, when I forget just about everything, says something about how powerful it was.

17. Todd Feb 15th 2013 at 04:37 am 17

What, no mention of Piers Anthony’s Incarnations of Immortality, the first book of which features Death as the protagonist? You can skip the last two books, but the first five are worth the read.

18. Morris Keesan Feb 15th 2013 at 01:33 pm 18

I gave up on Piers Anthony years ago, but I’m quite fond of the character of Death in Pratchett’s Discworld series.