You Go, Adam!

Cidu Bill on Feb 7th 2013

Perhaps the “Twinkee Madness” comic (see two minutes ago) is somehow explained by this previous strip, which is also a CIDU (unless Adam is just saying that Victor Hugo novels are very long, which isn’t much of a joke either for Adam or Basset):

yougoadam.gif

But that being said, this is all manner of awesome:

Filed in Adam at Home, Bill Bickel, Brian Basset, CIDU, Les Miserables, Victor Hugo, YouTube, comic strips, comics, humor | 37 responses so far

37 Responses to “You Go, Adam!”

1. Kilby Feb 7th 2013 at 12:43 am 1

The video is too erudite for my taste. Looking at the 3×3 images kept making me think that the next line should be “Here’s a story, about a man named Hugo…

2. Cidu Bill Feb 7th 2013 at 01:12 am 2

I know, that whole Brady Bunch thing kept distracting me. Especially when they’d occasionally look up or down at one another.

But I thought she did an amazing job overall.

3. James Pollock Feb 7th 2013 at 02:00 am 3

Brian Basset doesn’t do Adam anymore.

4. Cidu Bill Feb 7th 2013 at 02:10 am 4

Hey, you;re right, somebody else’s signature is there. Yet the newspaper websites still list him as the writer, making it hard to notice.

Damn. It took me all these years to finally remember how many t’s he has in his name without looking it up (I will never remember whether it’s Zach Weiner or Zach Wiener; but considering how often people misspell my name, I feel very little guilt over occasionally getting it wrong.

5. ANDREA Feb 7th 2013 at 07:21 am 5

He still does Red and Rover, tho . . . so don’t forget that’s it’s two “s”s and one “t” . . .

6. Morris Keesan Feb 7th 2013 at 09:08 am 6

Zach’s surname used to be “Weiner”, pronounced “wiener”, but now it’s “Weinersmith”, pronounced “wienersmith”.
    The banner at SMBC still credits the comic to “Zach Weiner”, but his interactive adventure book (which he can’t call “choose your own” because that’s a protected mark) says it’s by Zach Weinersmith. I suspect that he’s just never gotten around to making a new banner for the site. In either case, I find it easy to remember the spelling, because I just remember that it’s spelled the opposite of how it sounds.

7. Frosted Donut Feb 7th 2013 at 09:46 am 7

Rob Harrell (late of “Big Top”) does all the work on “Adam” now. That came out publicly a year or two ago when Adam slammed some NHL referee who threatened to sue and Basset said “I didn’t have nothing to do with nothing!”

8. Cidu Bill Feb 7th 2013 at 09:49 am 8

That’s my problem, Morris: whenever something is “the opposite of how it sounds,” or “remember to turn in the direction opposite of what you think it should be,” I get into a mental loop where every time I think I have it right, I reverse it. So in the end, it’s still a 50-50 thing with me, at best.

9. Elyrest Feb 7th 2013 at 12:30 pm 9

How is Weiner supposed to be pronounced? I have an ei in my surname and it is pronounced like a long i.

Bill - I’m with you on the opposite stuff. It works with some things, but it mainly puts me into the same loop as you.

10. Morris Keesan Feb 7th 2013 at 12:54 pm 10

“Supposed to” be pronounced is any way the owner of the name wants it pronounced, especially when a name is imported from one language into another. But for names of German language origin, in the original German the “ei” would be pronounced as in “Einstein”.
    (And the ‘W’ would be pronounced like an English ‘V’).

11. Wendy Feb 7th 2013 at 02:09 pm 11

I think it’s just a play on the joke “I was at a fight and a hockey game broke out”. That’s been twisted and played with enough that I think it’s become almost a meme : “I was at a (event of your choice) and a (something you don’t really expect) broke out.” And yes, he picked Hugo because his books are long.

12. Some Old Guy Feb 7th 2013 at 02:39 pm 12

Ambitious video — very ambitious, since she didn’t quite have the voice for some of the songs — but if that was her video/performance resume for a college application, I would accept her in a second.

13. Cidu Bill Feb 7th 2013 at 04:00 pm 13

Morris is definitely right: my father, as a young adult, changed the pronunciation of his surname without changing the spelling, and the rest of his family eventually went along with it. My son, during high school, began using the original pronunciation. Back when his friends actually had to call the house phone to speak to him, and they managed to remember to greet me by a name that sounded different from his.

14. Morris Keesan Feb 7th 2013 at 04:11 pm 14

“Bickel” rhymes with “Theodore Bikel”, if I remember correctly from an earlier discussion? Or is that the way that your son pronounces it, and the rest of the family says “Bikkle”?

15. Jeff S. Feb 7th 2013 at 08:31 pm 15

Holy Crap!!! I believe I have been pronouncing your name wrong in my head the entire time I have been visiting your site!

Is the accent on the first syllable (like BICK-el) or on the second (like bic-KEL)? Or some third option I missed?

16. Cidu Bill Feb 7th 2013 at 09:55 pm 16

bic-KEL

17. Mark in Boston Feb 7th 2013 at 10:19 pm 17

Why is it that people say “Leonard Bernsteen” and “Weener” and “Emmanuel Goldsteen” but not “Albert EenSteen”?

18. Cidu Bill Feb 7th 2013 at 10:28 pm 18

Yeah, and what’s up with EYE-gor?

19. The Bad Seed Feb 7th 2013 at 10:36 pm 19

Bill, do you ever feel like Hyacinth Bucket? ;)

20. ANDREA Feb 7th 2013 at 10:43 pm 20

“The Bucket residence” . . . http://alldogssite.com/bucketres.wav

21. Jeff S. Feb 7th 2013 at 11:34 pm 21

Oops. I was right… I HAVE been pronouncing it wrong all this time. Mea maxima culpa

22. Kilby Feb 8th 2013 at 04:20 am 22

@ 17 & 18 - Another classic example is “(Andrew) Carnegie”, which is pronounced “CARnegie” almost everywhere, but in Pittsburgh they say “carNEGie”.

23. mark d Feb 8th 2013 at 09:36 am 23

Speaking of Pittsburgh, Pitt star running back Tony Dorsett changed the pronunciation of his name from DORsett to DorSETT when he joined the Dallas Cowboys in 1977. The press followed suit, though not without some satirical commentary.

24. Morris Keesan Feb 8th 2013 at 09:50 am 24

… and how come nobody says, “Gertrude Steen”?

25. Winmanstl Feb 8th 2013 at 11:25 am 25

She has nothing on me, me, me and me, singing about some imfamous ladies (the nineties called…”.

Or for some true multipart green screen silliness:

26. Cidu Bill Feb 8th 2013 at 12:36 pm 26

I was just listening to an audiobook in which the reader switched back and forth between the two Carnegie pronunciations seemingly at random.

This guy is NOT going to be allowed to narrate my autobiography!

27. Mark in Boston Feb 8th 2013 at 08:29 pm 27

Allan Sherman got the pronunciation of Carnegie Hall right:

H - O - R - W -
    I - T - Z spells Horowitz.
    I went with my girlfriend Peggy
    To one of his concerts at Carneggie.
    V - L - A - D - I - M - I -
    R spells Vladimir,
    And he plays piano good like a good piano player should,
    Horowitz, hear hear!

28. Kilby Feb 8th 2013 at 08:55 pm 28

@ 25 & 26 - I’ve always preferred the “carNEGie” pronunciation, but there is some logic to using “CARnegie” at least for the “Hall”, since using the Pittsburgh pronunciation for the NY edifice is bound to confuse most listeners.

29. Cidu Bill Feb 8th 2013 at 10:27 pm 29

You can pronounce Andrew’s name any way you want; but talk about CarNEGie Hall, and you’ll be laughed out of the city.

You might as well pronounce Houston Street “Houston Street”

30. Meryl A Feb 13th 2013 at 01:33 am 30

In the American colonial period there was (maybe still is) a family in Williamsburg, VA named Talifero. You all know how to pronounce that don’t you? - Tolliver. I figure they were Italian passing as English.

Aside - Ron Carnegie (CARnegie) interprets George Washington there now.

31. mitch4 Feb 13th 2013 at 02:02 am 31

Morris says:

I agree with that as a general principle, and even extending it into other kinds of names (place names, names of languages).

BUT I want to claim a major exception for place names when the local pronunciation is merely what a “general American” reading-pronunciation would be, with overlay of the local accent. There is no reason why the rest of the world should adopt that accent just when uttering the place name. This is different from a special local pronunciation, which could be worth honoring.

(I can’t quite make a case for this with “Missouri” though that’s where I most want to apply it! The question is how do people there pronounce “hurry” and “slurry” and “furry” and “hurricane”? If we could find that they say those words with a reduced vowel, like ‘hurr-uh’, then that would make the case that ‘Missou-ruh’ is just another instance of the local accent, and there is no reason those of us without that accent ourselves shouldn’t say ‘Missou-ree’.)

32. mitch4 Feb 13th 2013 at 02:04 am 32

Meryl #30 — That’s always an amusing one! I think I’ve seen the name in that cited more often as “Talliaferro”, e.g. athttp://www.genealogymagazine.com/surnames.html

33. mitch4 Feb 13th 2013 at 02:11 am 33

MIB #27 — Once in a while you run into someone who talks about Albert Ein-shtein.

(And BTW did you know the birth name of actor Albert Brooks?)

34. Mark M Feb 13th 2013 at 09:49 am 34

Mitch4 @31 - A former manager once corrected me because I moved to a small town and adopted the locals’ Americanized pronunciation of the French name. I’ll ask you the same thing I asked him. How do you pronounce the name of the largest city in California?

35. mitch4 Feb 13th 2013 at 10:27 am 35

Mark M @34 - (If I have the right city ..) I say Los Angeles, with an affricated (”soft”) -g-, and a tertiary-stressed final syllable with not quite a reduced vowel but definitely not a diphthong (”short i” rather than “long e”).

I’ll let you make your argument before trying to counter it, but I will note I don’t think that goes against my previously stated position.

To add another example for the general anti-Missuruh case, suppose the Cawfee Tawk dialect in New York were more nearly universal in that city. Would the Missuruh faction say all English speakers should call the place New Yawk? Because of “that’s what they call it there”…

36. mitch4 Feb 13th 2013 at 10:28 am 36

p.s. and the first word of Los Angeles just like the word “loss”.

37. Morris Keesan Feb 13th 2013 at 05:24 pm 37

And the name of the San Pedro district of Los Angeles is pronounced “san peedro” (first word sounds like “sand” without the ‘d’), even by Chicanos.

mitch4 #31, however you pronounce “Missouri”, you should make sure to pronounce the final ’s’ in “St. Louis”, and not call it “Saint Louee”.

And Nevadans are so set on having people not pronounce their state’s name as if it were a Spanish name that the official state tourism materials spell the name “Nevăda”.