Fenway Park Question (really OT)

Cidu Bill on Feb 7th 2013

I know we have a pretty large Boston contingent here, so…

I was one of the winners in the “lottery” to win the right to buy tickets for a ballgame when the Yankees are in town — yes, they hold a lottery for the right to buy tickets for a ballgame when the Yankees are in town — and Saturday at noon starts the free-for-all among the winners to buy them.

So the question is, are there any bad seats? I know it’s a small park, but there could still be areas where locals know not to sit for some reason, and I’d like to go into this with a game plan (so to speak).

I figure I might have an advantage over locals buying tickets that day, since Boston might be under three feet of snow.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Boston Red Sox, Fenway Park | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “Fenway Park Question (really OT)”

1. AMC Feb 7th 2013 at 09:59 am 1

There aren’t just seats, there are also some nice suites, apparently.

At least I heard something about Suite Caroline being popular at Fenway . . . .

2. Cidu Bill Feb 7th 2013 at 10:19 am 2

How’s the view from Suite Judy Blue Eyes?

3. JeffCG Feb 7th 2013 at 11:04 am 3

Your best seats are the obvious ones, field and loge boxes in the infield. Then grandstand seats in the infield, then boxes in the outfield. After that, your best seats are actually right or left field roof deck seats, which provide you a fantastic view of the game, though they aren’t right on the field. Really, though, I’ve seen games from every angle at Fenway (except on top of the Green Monster), and there truly are not bad seats unless you’re behind a pole, which is possible in the grandstand.

4. Another BR Feb 7th 2013 at 01:10 pm 4

Another way to look at the good seat / bad seat question is the seats themselves. JeffCG got it with the sightlines and view. But be aware that the seats are all pretty old, and narrower than what you might find in a modern park, like, say, PNC. The grandstand seats are old, wooden, and narrow. The box seats are a bit better. Also, there’s not a lot of leg room if you’re vertically enhanced.

(Unless they replaced all the grandstand seats in the big refurbishment a couple years ago?)

5. Mary in Ohio Feb 7th 2013 at 04:35 pm 5

And enjoy the blizzard!

6. chuckers Feb 7th 2013 at 09:05 pm 6

7. Frank the curmudgeon Feb 8th 2013 at 12:40 am 7

Sorry - I may hate the Yankees (and the Giants and the Jets) but I am not a baseball fan. My wife goes to Chicago to see the Red Sox play.

8. anotherBill Feb 8th 2013 at 08:09 am 8

I recommend right field box seats, sections 5-10. They’re the best seats for the price. You won’t be able to see into the right field corner, but most of the rest of the field will have good sight lines. A weird thing is that the seats are not aimed at the infield, but at The Wall across the field. So you have to turn slightly to your left to watch anything going on in the infield. This can cause a stiff neck by the end of the game.

Grandstand seats all around are mostly wooden, narrow, lacking in leg room, and will often be blocked in one direction or another, usually blocking some part of the infield.

Left field boxes have good sight lines, except you can’t see into the left field corner, and the rows are steeper with very little leg room.

The one advantage that grandstand seats have over boxes is if it rains, because there’s a reasonable chance you’ll be under the roof. Not so in the boxes.

If you’ve got tons of money, you can try for the field boxes. You can be right on the field in those, but if you’re in the really close seats you’ll notice that the field itself is not level but cambered–higher in the middle and sloping toward the edges.

If you get a choice, I’d pick either a Friday night or Saturday game. They tend to schedule the Sunday games for ESPN which means the game doesn’t start until 8, and commercial breaks last longer so you can count on being at the game until way late, assuming you stay for the whole game.

(26-year season ticket holder. I’ll be wearing a bag on my head this year.)

9. Morris Keesan Feb 8th 2013 at 10:31 am 9

I was in Fenway Park once, almost fifty years ago, and based on my experience, all the seats are bad seats, because while you’re there, you have to watch a baseball game.
    (Well, I suppose you don’t actually have to watch it, but unless you have better concentration than I do, it’s hard to read a book with all of those people screaming.)

10. Boise Ed Feb 8th 2013 at 06:20 pm 10

Pooh on Morris. I’ve been to Fenway twice, both long ago, and loved the little bandbox of a park — second only to Wrigley Field. If you’re not behind a post, you’ll love it.

11. Mark in Boston Feb 8th 2013 at 08:24 pm 11

I don’t know much about Fenway, but I can tell you plenty about Symphony Hall, where the seats are better and a fight broke out only once that I know of.

12. Morris Keesan Feb 8th 2013 at 11:40 pm 12

I’ve never encountered a bad seat in Symphony Hall, although the balcony seats near the stage are not as good as most of the other seats in the hall. Nor have I ever witnessed a fight there, although I was there one evening when a drunk guy was heckling the singer with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra (drunk guy was gently escorted out of the hall).

If you’re going to Fenway, I recommend visiting the Boston Beer Works before or after. Nice little brewpub, decent food, good beer.

13. Cidu Bill Feb 9th 2013 at 12:21 am 13

Morris, my son says he knows someplace we can eat before the game. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is what he has in mind (especially if it means he’ll get to order more expensive beer than he’s accustomed to)

14. Doug in Boston Feb 9th 2013 at 07:51 am 14

The bleachers at Fenway are a pretty good option. Half the price of the grandstand, and all the seats face the field directly. The stiff neck from having to look left or right to see home plate is real. Also, the seats there are new, and the legroom is decent (at least compared to what it used to be. Obviously lower is better, but more right field than center is also important, if you want to see the scoreboard without turning around. Can’t argue that field boxes aren’t great, but it’s cheaper to fly to Baltimore and catch a game than it is to buy those seats.

15. Mark in Boston Feb 9th 2013 at 06:59 pm 15

The best seats in Symphony Hall are the front row center of the first balcony, and most of the front center of the second balcony. All the second balcony seats used to be the lowest-priced ones until a few years ago when the management figured out that we picked our seats for the best sound, and now the first row of the second balcony is in a higher price class.

16. Morris Keesan Feb 9th 2013 at 08:03 pm 16

I think that which seats in Symphony Hall are best depends on what kind of performance is there. For orchestral performances, I agree that the acoustics are probably best in the center of the first balcony. But I’m most often in there for chamber music, usually performances that would be better suited to Jordan Hall but draw a larger audience than Jordan’s capacity. And for chamber music, I quite like being near the stage, on the floor, anywhere from row E back to the crosswise aisle.