Sunday Funnies - LOL February 3, 2013

Cidu Bill on Feb 3rd 2013

emergency-orangelol.gif

brain-lol.pnglol-ice.jpg

lol-alexis.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Hilary B. Price, Mark Parisi, Off the Mark, Pardon My Planet, Rhymes With Orange, Vic Lee, lol, xkcd | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - LOL February 3, 2013”

1. Proginoskes Feb 3rd 2013 at 01:10 am 1

I’ve never heard of hot crushed ice before …

2. zbicyclist Feb 3rd 2013 at 01:28 am 2

Maybe some truth to “A Lexus”.

Lexus was introduced into the US in 1989.
    Here’s the popularity graph for the name Alexis:

(IIRC, there was also a TV soap opera character by that name, but I forget which show - Dynasty?)

3. Lost in A**2 Feb 3rd 2013 at 02:52 am 3

Apparently,GE has introduced a refrigerator that dispenses hot water as well as the more usual ice and cooled water. So, a shower that has the three options.

Is that the one that rates the spelled-out CIDU tag?

4. Cidu Bill Feb 3rd 2013 at 03:13 am 4

Apparently the “Comics I Don’t Understand” tag happened when I starting typing “Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud” and my fingers went on “automatic. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before…

5. Jeff S. Feb 3rd 2013 at 08:47 am 5

Nice selection this week. They were all LOLs for me.

6. mitch4 Feb 3rd 2013 at 09:22 am 6

“PMP” - It’s not precisely on the same wavelength as last week’s idea that the name would be commemorating her conception in a Lexus … but brings it to mind.

“OTM” - I don’t often find anyone to join in my gripe that shower mixer controls need two degrees of freedom, just like sink mixer controls, and that the popular model that varies the flow and temperature in an unpredictable pattern as you turn the handle is a broken design — almost as much as one that dispenses ice.

7. Sal Feb 3rd 2013 at 10:28 am 7

I used to tell my kids “I could have had a corvette or you, and I chose you.’Don’t know if it made an impression on them.

8. mitch4 Feb 3rd 2013 at 11:07 am 8

“Having” a corvette might have been difficult!

9. Chakolate Feb 3rd 2013 at 12:41 pm 9

Mitch4 #@ 8 - OUCH!

10. AMC Feb 3rd 2013 at 01:14 pm 10

So, the kid costs as much as a legal database . . . ?

11. zookeeper Feb 3rd 2013 at 02:01 pm 11

I laughed at putting the problems in perspective. My wife’s answer to anguished wails from progeny was often “Is this a problem or an inconvenience?” Usually not a problem (although she did take EMT training because she wanted to know “when to worry.”)

12. Keera Feb 3rd 2013 at 02:17 pm 12

Six Chicks made me LOL. Which isn’t bad since XKCD described how my brain works (or “works”).

So, are we writing a script for the CIDU commercial or what? Here’s my suggestion: A bunch of different people, one person at a time, each saying, “I don’t get it.” Final shot: The web site with title clearly seen and the caption, “Get it here.”

13. James Pollock Feb 3rd 2013 at 02:42 pm 13

No, the commercial would open with a lame joke, then someone explains the joke, then 30 people offering opinions, all leading off to wild tangents.

14. Boise Ed Feb 3rd 2013 at 04:14 pm 14

ROTFL. That Rhymes with Orange is outstanding! I wonder how I missed it.

15. billybob Feb 3rd 2013 at 04:20 pm 15

It’s an engineering failure. It’s a marketing triumph (like selling refrigerators to Eskimos).

16. farmer Feb 3rd 2013 at 04:28 pm 16

The commercial would somehow have to incorporate the phrase that’s been used in several variations, “come for the comics, stay for the esoterica”

17. Cidu Bill Feb 3rd 2013 at 05:00 pm 17

Farmer, I actually had something like that as the site’s tagline at one point

18. Lost in A**2 Feb 3rd 2013 at 05:47 pm 18

(Keera, which did you mean as the Six Chix?)

19. Mark in Boston Feb 3rd 2013 at 09:59 pm 19

Alexis — and of course the twins Denise and Denephew. Dickens’ “Bleak House” has a character named (or nicknamed) “Caddie” after the car HER parents didn’t get.

20. mark d Feb 3rd 2013 at 11:42 pm 20

CIDU commercial idea: Woman (35-40), casually dressed, sits on living room sofa looking at iPad. Raucous laughter is heard in the background. Woman looks up and through hallway where there is a half closed door to another room. “What are you laughing at?” she yells. A male voice, still laughing, calls from behind the door, “Comics.” “What comics?” calls woman. “Comics I don’t understand,” he answers. “What do you mean, comics you don’t understand?” “Its a hilarious website that explains comics. It’s called Comics I Don’t Understand. Google it.”
    We see iPad screen as woman googles Comics I Don’t Understand. She then clicks on website, which pops up with Beverly Hills Fire Department cartoon. Then she clicks on responses. Briefly we see the screen scroll down responses. Then the camera focus on face of woman reading. She smiles, grins and then laughs out loud, joining the laughter of the man. The camera pans to the website address on the iPad.

21. Keera Feb 4th 2013 at 11:32 am 21

Lost in A**2 @18, they used to call themselves that. Now it’s “Pardon My Planet”.

22. Boise Ed Feb 4th 2013 at 03:16 pm 22

No, Six Chix (by six women) and Pardon My Planet (by Vic Lee) are completely different. See http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/fun/6Chix/ and http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/fun/Pardon_My_Planet/

23. Keera Feb 4th 2013 at 03:35 pm 23

Thanks, Ed @22. I had always assumed that one of the artists from “Six Chix” did “Pardon My Planet” for some reason.

24. mitch4 Feb 4th 2013 at 04:14 pm 24

Re 21-22-23 — Interesting. Somewhat like Keera, I have at times mentally reassigned a different comic to “Six Chix”, but it wasn’t “Pardon my Planet” — rather, “Rhymes with Orange” which as it happens is also represented in this Sunday-LOL collection. Keera, are you sure that isn’t the one you mean? — The first one, with the bear?

25. Mark in Boston Feb 4th 2013 at 07:44 pm 25

Woman on sofa, with iPad. Raucous laughter in the background.

“What are you laughing at?”

“Nuttin honey.”

26. Keera Feb 5th 2013 at 02:37 am 26

mitch4 @24, stylewise, that’s a more understandable mix-up, but I’m standing by my own mix-up. :-)