I’ve seen this before…

Cidu Bill on Feb 2nd 2013

groundhog.jpg

Dead Zone reference, or something more recent? And what’s the actual joke here?

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Francesco Marciuliano, Groundhog Day, Medium Large, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “I’ve seen this before…”

1. James Schend Feb 2nd 2013 at 10:47 am 1

I think the joke is we’re supposed to know what bit of pop culture he’s referring to. Which may be Dead Zone, which I’ve never seen. But I haven’t, so. I don’t have a joke.

2. Pete Feb 2nd 2013 at 10:57 am 2

Definitely The Dead Zone. The Movie, not the series.

In the film, a psychic shakes the hand of a presidential candidate, and sees him initiating a global nuclear war.

The joke is that it’s simply a parody of the scene. The groundhog shakes the mayor’s hand and sees him initiating a very small war in his own jurisdiction.

3. Colleen Feb 2nd 2013 at 11:36 am 3

I was thinking Groundhog Day and Caddyshack via The Dead Zone.

(groundhog, gopher… close enough)

4. AMC Feb 2nd 2013 at 12:22 pm 4

I think the joke is that groundhogs have the power to see the future.

5. Chakolate Feb 2nd 2013 at 12:36 pm 5

It is the Dead Zone, but it’s also a terrific slam on the mayor of Punxsutawney. The politician in Dead Zone was a real sociopath/psychopath.

6. Detcord Feb 2nd 2013 at 02:56 pm 6

I’ve never seen “Dead Zone” so I can’t compare. When I read the caption and Bill’s query, I immediately thought of M. Night Shyamalan’s “Unbreakable”. Bruce Willis walks thru crowds; hands out, touching passers-by, getting sensations; sensing murder (to come).

Okay, “Unbreakable” is no “Sixth Sense”, but it’s wasn’t a bad, if a bit slow, spooky thriller.

That’s my tuppence worth. :)

7. Detcord Feb 2nd 2013 at 02:59 pm 7

Oh! and he shakes hands with a certain someone [don’t want to spoil it] and gets a very similar result as Bill’s Groundhog.

8. James Pollock Feb 2nd 2013 at 10:24 pm 8

“The Dead Zone” is one of the few movies made from a Stephen King novel that I liked.

9. Proginoskes Feb 3rd 2013 at 01:06 am 9

@ AMC: The point of Groundhog Day is that whether the groundhog sees his shadow is supposed to tell whether winter has ended, or whether it will continue for another six weeks.

The cartoon is an exaggeration of that, with some Dead Zone thrown in (as others have noted).

10. Pinny Feb 4th 2013 at 01:02 pm 10

Read the Dead Zone. Think that this references that.

Another “clairvoyant who uses touch” is Matt Damon’s character in “Hereafter”.

11. Pinny Feb 4th 2013 at 10:18 pm 11

The first sentence in #10 should read “I read The Dead Zone.” I was stating something about myself — not making a suggestion for others.

12. Meryl A Feb 7th 2013 at 01:25 am 12

Actually it happens in the TV series also. Goes on and on with that plot line and his former girlfriend (and mother of his child) working on the guy’s campaign.

13. Meryl A Feb 7th 2013 at 01:27 am 13

Are there boroughs in PA. I thought it was an NYC thing. Or was burrow meant?

14. Lola Feb 7th 2013 at 05:41 pm 14

Meryl A - Definitely, there are boroughs in PA. I used to live in Darby Borough, which was distinguished from Darby Township that was nearby.