Ulp

Cidu Bill on Jan 31st 2013

appendicitis.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, In the Bleachers, Steve Moore, comic strips, comics, humor | 11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Ulp”

1. skaloop Jan 31st 2013 at 01:33 am 1

The guy is trying to find out what is wrong and is just yelling stuff out. The injured player happens to grunt (I don’t think ‘ulp’ is meant to mean anything specific) after appendicitis is mentioned. I think perhaps the humour is supposed to come from the fact that any one of the other options would be far more likely to happen to a basketball player than to have a mid-game appendix issue.

The other possibility is that the injured player is in fact indicating that it is appendicitis, even though any one of the other options would be far more likely to happen to a basketball player than to have a mid-game appendix issue.

Bottom line is, appendicitis is an extremely rare basketball injury, and either the coach guy is mistakenly jumping to that conclusion based on the “Ulp” or the player actually did come down with appendicitis in the middle of a basketball game.

2. billytheskink Jan 31st 2013 at 08:56 am 2

This would have made more sense if the player in pain looked like Brady Heslip. To me, anyways.

3. Morris Keesan Jan 31st 2013 at 09:00 am 3

But how many people reading this strip would know who Brady Heslip is, or what he looks like?
    (I assume that he’s a professional athlete, probably a basketball player, but only because of this context).

4. Daniel J. Drazen Jan 31st 2013 at 10:17 am 4

Yellow Shirt is AAD — Also A Doctor.

5. billytheskink Jan 31st 2013 at 10:56 am 5

Brady Heslip is a college basketball player who had his appendix removed earlier this season. It really only would have improved the comic for me and I said as much.

6. DPWally Jan 31st 2013 at 11:52 am 6

There’s a tradition of televised athletes who have been kicked in the b*lls holding their heads or otherwise displaying pain and anguish without making the injury location obvious.

So that was my interpretation, with yellow-shirt unaware of the misdirection convention.

7. Morris Keesan Jan 31st 2013 at 12:08 pm 7

I thought that was just an old Bill Cosby routine: “You will not touch certain parts of your body …”

8. mitch4 Jan 31st 2013 at 06:31 pm 8

That “family jewels” explanation does help it make sense!

9. Jeff S. Jan 31st 2013 at 06:48 pm 9

However, if he DID get hit in the nuts, I would think he wouldn’t have his arms outstretched and on the floor. I would think he would be clutching his jewels so they won’t fall onto the floor.

10. padraig Feb 1st 2013 at 03:41 pm 10

Morris: “…so I grabbed my HEAD!”

11. Dave in Asheville Feb 1st 2013 at 07:17 pm 11