This took me a minute to get

Cidu Bill on Jan 30th 2013

keller.gif

And Hilburn will probably get some angry mail once everybody else gets it.

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Bill Bickel, Helen Keller, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “This took me a minute to get”

1. minor annoyance Jan 30th 2013 at 04:36 pm 1

Is Helen Keller still a generally known figure? When I was a kid, there was the movie “The Miracle Worker”, inspirational articles and a whole genre of jokes (How’d she burn her hands? Reading the toaster.).

2. Judge Mental Jan 30th 2013 at 04:44 pm 2

I don’t know why, but I find more humor in the fact that Mrs. Keller or Anne Sullivan (or whomever that is) is giving a stern look, complete with hands akimbo, so Helen will know how displeased she is.

I know that the women isn’t necessarily striking such a pose for Helen’s benefit, but the absurd notion just struck for whatever reason.

3. Elyrest Jan 30th 2013 at 05:36 pm 3

minor annoyance - I may not be a good person to answer whether Helen Keller is generally known as the place I work at has “The Miracle Worker” currently in production. There have been hundreds of schoolchildren who have seen it so far so the schools show interest. And if the all the Helen Keller jokes I hear are any indication she seems well-known.

Hillburn may get mail, but Helen Keller has been fodder for jokes since before he was born.

4. Lord Jubjub Jan 30th 2013 at 06:06 pm 4

I took you a whole minute?

5. Lord Jubjub Jan 30th 2013 at 06:07 pm 5

IT–It took you a whole minute. . .

6. Jeff S. Jan 30th 2013 at 07:29 pm 6

It was an instant LOL for me! You keep screwing up my moral compass with these funny-but-shouldn’t-be-funny comics!

7. James Pollock Jan 30th 2013 at 08:20 pm 7

Well, I remember how it was news that the girl who played Helen in the TV movie, played the teacher in the re-make. Melissa Gilbert? It’s been a while.

8. Ray Brady Jan 30th 2013 at 08:25 pm 8

From whom exactly did young Ms. Keller learn these naughty words?

9. mitch4 Jan 30th 2013 at 08:26 pm 9

Took me a minute also.

I dunno if there will be offense taken, but there was at one time a popular string of Helen Keller Jokes, around the same time as Elephant Jokes and the (still popular) Light Bulb Jokes. For that matter, there were a bunch of rather unkind Disabled Kids Puns.

10. Kevin A. Jan 30th 2013 at 09:24 pm 10

Patty Duke was the one that played both rolls.

11. Jeff Jan 30th 2013 at 09:58 pm 11

“Is Helen Keller still a generally known figure?”

She appeared in last Sunday’s episode of Family Guy.

12. Dyfsunctional Jan 30th 2013 at 10:18 pm 12

And she’s a regular fixture on fark.com, where she’s purposely conflated with Anne Frank for humorous effect.

13. Dyfsunctional Jan 30th 2013 at 10:20 pm 13

14. Mark in Boston Jan 30th 2013 at 11:02 pm 14

Helen Keller will be a well-known figure and an inspiration for a long long time.

And there will always be Helen Keller jokes.

You probably know that as a youngster she sprained her hand badly. You see, she had fallen down the well, and she was yelling for help for five hours ….

15. James Pollock Jan 30th 2013 at 11:07 pm 15

I thought Patty Duke played Helen’s identical cousin…

16. Richard Jan 30th 2013 at 11:22 pm 16

I got the joke, but I honestly don’t get whyCIDU Bill thinks Hilburn will get angry mail.

17. Singapore Bill Jan 31st 2013 at 12:12 am 17

I don’t see what the harm is. Helen Keller will never see it.

18. James Pollock Jan 31st 2013 at 01:29 am 18

Yeah, but she might hear abou… never mind.

19. Proginoskes Jan 31st 2013 at 02:21 am 19

Dysfunctional (13) wrote: “And by the way, as an adult, she was a big-time Socialist. That part always seems to get left out of the history books.”

But it DID make it into _Lies My Teacher Told Me_ by James Loewen (a book worth reading). She evidently got VERY ticked off about people who didn’t do anything with their lives.

“People do not like to think.” — Helen Keller

20. Powers Jan 31st 2013 at 07:30 am 20

I got it immediately. It’s historically and logically awkward, but I don’t think it’s worthy of any angry e-mails. Most deaf people I know would laugh.

21. John DiFool Jan 31st 2013 at 09:44 am 21

My first love was a girl in 5th grade who played Helen Keller in a school play. She definitely had talent (and the looks and charisma), and I’ve always wondered why I never saw her name in lights years later. Probably because the dumb nuns in our school had her do her role in front of the kindergarteners, who of course thought the performance was the height of comedy. Stupid nuns…

22. Sili Jan 31st 2013 at 04:21 pm 22

I only know Helen Keller from jokes about her. (And, I guess, from Helen Killer of Regretsy.)

23. Mark M Jan 31st 2013 at 04:30 pm 23

In a bit of personal synchronicity I did the daily paper’s cryptogram puzzle and the solution was a Helen Keller quote.

24. Rasheed Feb 1st 2013 at 04:02 pm 24

Laura Bridgman gets no press

25. Treesong Feb 3rd 2013 at 01:25 pm 25

Singapore Bill (17) was amusing but James Pollock’ follow-up (18) made me laugh out loud.

26. Meryl A Feb 7th 2013 at 01:43 am 26

But their clothes are the wrong period. Helen’s dad was an American Civil War veteran. Those clothes would be a scandal!