Dough

Cidu Bill on Jan 29th 2013

nostalgia.gif

You know, seriously, he’s six years old; nostalgia??

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes, comic strips, comics, humor | 26 responses so far

26 Responses to “Dough”

1. Ian Osmond Jan 29th 2013 at 04:09 pm 1

Well, he could be talking about the loss of POTENTIAL nostalgia in the future. Or we can simply accept that sometimes, Calvin is a six-year-old boy who has a toy tiger, and sometimes he’s an author surrogate. (And usually, both.)

2. Judge Mental Jan 29th 2013 at 04:12 pm 2

Calvin wasn’t attempting to experience nostalgia right now, he was trying to build memories to experience it at a later date. Of course he is only speculating, based on input from others, what would qualify as a nostalgia-worthy.

3. Judge Mental Jan 29th 2013 at 04:14 pm 3

Ian sort of stole my thunder, I can’t believe it really took me three minutes to type #2.

4. Kedamono Jan 29th 2013 at 04:21 pm 4

Ya know, when I was a kid, we didn’t have a problem eating uncooked cookie dough. Never got salmonella either.

5. DPWally Jan 29th 2013 at 04:23 pm 5

I’ve heard about how things were “when I was little” from kids who just learned how to put that many words together. A normal 6-year-old wouldn’t use a word as big and self-aware as “nostalgic”, and would probably ask why there’s salmon in the cookies, but otherwise this feels plausible.

(It’s understood, of course, that Calvin is not a normal 6-year-old.)

6. fuzzmaster Jan 29th 2013 at 04:28 pm 6

Much as I would like to agree with Ian and Judge, in the first panel Calvin indicates he’s already experienced raw cookie dough and loves it. So I think the humor intended here is the very incongruity CIDU Bill refers to in the caption. And, c’mon, if we can 1990s nostalgia, it’s not that out of line for a 6-year-old to be nostalgic for the halcyon days of his youth, a year or two earlier.

7. Frank the curmudgeon Jan 29th 2013 at 05:29 pm 7

Could he be referring to the reader’s nostalgia?

8. Mark in Boston Jan 29th 2013 at 05:36 pm 8

But Calvin DOES get to play outside without adult supervision and wander off to some far-off places like the sledding cliff. So he’s still living in that childhood nostalgia world that doesn’t exist anymore for most children.

9. James Pollock Jan 29th 2013 at 05:39 pm 9

I agree with the previous commenters who believe that Calvin is referring to his loss of future nostalgia… when grown-up Calvin (imagine such a thing!) looks back on this incident, it won’t be with feelings of nostalgia.

Also for the record, the possibility of salmonella poisoning is small, but very real, as the operators of the Nestle cookie-dough plant discovered to their significant financial detriment. Besides, I like cookie-dough right out of the oven, and, as usual, anyone who disagrees with me is just wrong.

10. farmer Jan 29th 2013 at 05:42 pm 10

I eat raw cookie dough all the time, but then again the eggs are from my own hens, so it’s not quite the same. Does function as a sort of rough quality control for customers, though…

11. Jeff S. Jan 29th 2013 at 07:24 pm 11

Once raw cookie dough was finally sold in a tube, Santa would leave a tube in our (me and my three brothers) stockings. Admittedly, my father, one brother, and I are diabetic, but never have any of us had ANY problem with the cookie dough. Santa continued the tradition with my wife and two kids, and no trouble there either… but Santa caved in to the doom-and-gloom sayers this year and did not give my family any raw cookie dough tubes in our stockings.

Everyone was upset. Upset enough, that once Walmart opened up, I had to go buy 3 things of cookie dough. The tradition will restart this Christmas, after a one year hiatus.

12. jayjaybear Jan 29th 2013 at 07:28 pm 12

James Pollock (#9): Is it possible that you don’t know about Hobbes & Bacon? The brothers who do Pants Are Overrated had a four-strip tribute to Watterson, about Calvin and Susie’s daughter, 26 years after the end of C&H.

13. Cidu Bill Jan 29th 2013 at 07:41 pm 13

jayjaybear, thanks for posting that: I’d read the first two strips, and didn’t know there were two more.

14. Mona Jan 29th 2013 at 08:26 pm 14

Thanks jayjaybear (#12), those were great! Makes me feel nostalgic.

15. James Pollock Jan 29th 2013 at 10:00 pm 15

I’m afraid that Calvin, like Charlie Brown and the gang before him, will always be 6. (Michael Binkley, on the other hand, is well into mid-life)

16. Meryl A Jan 30th 2013 at 01:22 am 16

Kedamano -

Salmonella has been increasing in occurrence in recent years, apparently because of the treatment and living conditions of chickens. As a 1770’s reenactor who is stuck cooking much of the time at events and therefore studies up on same, in earlier times, such as the 18th century, chickens were killed and eaten the same day. Salmonella (or at least serious illness from eating chicken as no one says they knew salmonella then) was extremely rare as animals were kept in better conditions and due to how quickly they were cooked. (and then leftovers were generally eaten within 24 hrs as one cooked dinner for 2 pm, ate leftovers for supper that evening, and leftovers from same for breakfast the next day.)

17. Kilby Jan 30th 2013 at 06:22 am 17

While all the rest of you are discussing infectious biology and pre-emptive retroactive nostalgia, I’ve been admiring a small, but nevertheless elegant bit of Watterson’s poetry, specifically, his extremely adept onomatopoetic rendering of a vocalized “raspberry” as “THBPPTH“.

18. Powers Jan 30th 2013 at 07:29 am 18

Indeed, but isn’t that how raspberries are often rendered in comic strips? Certainly Bill the Cat was “thbbbt”ing before Calvin came on the scene.

19. Powers Jan 30th 2013 at 07:29 am 19

Also: “I ate raw cookie dough and didn’t die!” is about as persuasive as saying “I let my five-year-old use a chainsaw and he didn’t die!”

20. Daniel J. Drazen Jan 30th 2013 at 09:38 am 20

WRT nostalgia, I remember another cartoon where the character has just done a face plant off a swing and is thinking: “I wish I was forty so I could look back fondly at this moment.”

21. farmer Jan 30th 2013 at 11:23 am 21

Powers,

Agreed, though context is important. The source, treatment, and handling of chickens/eggs will make a difference in the likelihood of contamination, as Meryl points out, though not with certainty in any given moment. Relative risk is important, too: plenty of people paranoid about raw cookie dough happily drive on crowded highways.

In our case, the odds that our small-flock pastured birds carry salmonella is way lower than those for birds kept under factory conditions, and the fact that we routinely consume the fresh eggs raw or undercooked at least serves as a monitoring device, though one without certainty. We still recommend that our customers cook eggs if they’re worried about the risks, but they take a higher risk driving to get their food than they do eating it.

22. Chakolate Jan 30th 2013 at 01:26 pm 22

It seems that salmonella isn’t the reason you shouldn’t eat store-bought raw cookie dough. Manufacturers use pasteurized eggs for that. However, the flour is raw, and sometimes contains e-coli. At least, according to this NYT article:

This would make me very sad if I wasn’t already diabetic and therefore cookie-dough-less.

23. farmer Jan 30th 2013 at 01:31 pm 23

Chakolate,

Once again, context is everything. I hadn’t even considered store-bought cookie dough, I was assuming the homemade kind.

24. Mark in Boston Jan 30th 2013 at 11:10 pm 24

Calvin grew to be a teenager, and his name is Jeremy now and he lives in Zits.

25. Keera Feb 1st 2013 at 10:28 am 25

Mark in Boston @24, oh, gawd, NOOOOOO! Wrong images in my head, wrong, wrong, WRONG!!! (I love C&H and hate Zits.)

26. Laura Feb 26th 2013 at 11:39 pm 26

No, no, Calvin grew up to be a musician/janitor named Frazz.