Sunday Funnies - LOL January 27, 2013

iceage-lol.pngmotivation-rubes-lol.jpg

erectile.jpg

Chak Olate:

postponed.gif
Kilby:
bug_2013-01-16-star-trek-iii-th.png

Filed in Aaron Huber, Bug Martini, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Cyanide and Happiness, Hilary B. Price, Lio, Mark Tatulli, Rhymes With Orange, Rubes, Sinfest, Tatsuya Ishida, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - LOL January 27, 2013”

1. Proginoskes Jan 27th 2013 at 04:23 am 1

Re the Tatsuya Ishida comic: You don’t know how true this is. For a Born Again, the best day of their life is the day they died, because THEY FINALLY GET TO MEET JESUS!

The fact that so many Christians welcome Armageddon, where billions of people will die, is one of the things that turns me off about Christianity.

2. James Pollock Jan 27th 2013 at 05:12 am 2

Um… there’s a NextGen episode that features the Enterprise crippled by malware (The aliens need to borrow the Enterprise’s computer for temporary backup) and another that features a “game” that reprograms the minds of the players. And of course, the major plotline (such as it is) of Star Trek The Motion Picture is that a space probe has gone out there and picked up some… software “upgrades”, and that plotline was lifted from an original Trek episode. Somebody just lost MAJOR geek cred for not knowing the plot line of every Star Trek episode ever.

3. George P. Jan 27th 2013 at 07:21 am 3

None of those are Internet examples, though. Neither V’ger nor Nomad were modified over a public network.

4. Kilby Jan 27th 2013 at 08:33 am 4

I originally submitted that “Bug” strip as half-LOL, half-CIDU, but Bill clued me in to the reference for the third panel, and I just now figured out that “kitten” is supposed to link to the “LOLcat” meme. Sigh.

P.S. 2 & 3 - Initially I was sure that there was a Star Trek (TNG) episode in which they seriously considered uploading a virus to disable the Borg, but I’m probably mixing this up with an Internet joke, because I think the virus that they were proposing to upload was called “Windows XP”.

5. Powers Jan 27th 2013 at 09:44 am 5

6. James Pollock Jan 27th 2013 at 11:47 am 6

I suppose you could consider Locutus of Borg to be a malware infestation, also.

7. Cidu Bill Jan 27th 2013 at 12:13 pm 7

Yes, Kilby definitely mentioned this when he sent me the comic. I didn’t mention it because it was irrelevant to the LOL aspect. I vouch for his geek cred.

8. James Schend Jan 27th 2013 at 01:33 pm 8

@James Pollock: none of those involved the Internet. The closest Star Trek shows, in any series, is video-phones. Maybe they can handwave this by saying the distances between starships is too vast to transmit all that data? But then the videophones work fine even over lightyears. So… who knows.

(Actually I think there’s a scene in a DS9 episode where Bashir goes back in time and looks up a rabble rouser on the Internet– but that’s a weird case because it’s our modern-day Internet and not a future-Internet.)

@Kilby: however, starships do obviously have LANs. Presumably that’s how the PADDs work, and Voyager had a few episodes where their LAN (run by organic components) gets “disease”, disabling the ship. And that Borg thing would have only worked once the Borg was back aboard his ship, with LAN access.

9. furrykef Jan 27th 2013 at 02:50 pm 9

I think Memory Alpha is meant to be the Trek version of the internet. But it didn’t come up very often and would probably be mega-obscure if it weren’t for the largest Star Trek wiki being named after it.

10. minorannoyance Jan 27th 2013 at 03:32 pm 10

Re #1: I remember when a guest speaker came to our church, an affable guy full of cheery stories. He said that he had to fly to Philadelphia the next day. If the flight was safe, he’d be in Philadelphia. If it crashed, he’d be in heaven. It was win-win with God. Afterwards, my mother commented he made Philadelphia sound like the losing option.

Slightly more recently, evangelist Oral Roberts ran a big fundraising drive with the declaration God was going to “call him home” if he didn’t make his financial goal. He naturally came in for a lot of mockery, mainly for implying that God was holding him hostage for cash. There was also the hubris of saying that God’s punishment to the stingy would be to deprive them of Oral Roberts. But what I took away from it was that Oral didn’t want to go and was admitting it. In the end a big check — from a dog track owner, I think — “saved” our hero.

11. James Pollock Jan 27th 2013 at 04:01 pm 11

“James Pollock: none of those involved the Internet.”
    Perhaps the Internet of the 23rd century has changed so much you didn’t recognize it.

The claim in the strip, however, is “I’ve never seen anyone on that show check their email, or visit sites like “I can haz Dilithium Crystalz”, or cripple the Enterprise by accidentally downloading malware.” I’ve pointed out several cases where the Enterprise was crippled by accidentally downloaded malware. I even left out the cases where they gave the Enterprise’s OS an “upgrade” and included a personality module (”working, dear”) or the entire episode that revolved around completely automating the ship (Daystrom and his M5) with disastrous results., because those weren’t accidental.

And a case could be made that “The Inner Light” (the single best TNG episode) might be considered malware.

12. Judge Mental Jan 28th 2013 at 11:37 am 12

The “Rhymes with Orange” is a CIDU for me.

13. Pinny Jan 28th 2013 at 01:11 pm 13

Re: minorannoyance (#10)

“Slightly more recently”?!?!?

I remember that from when I was in high school and I am in my low 40’s.

A quick check of his wiki page shows that it happened in January 1987 — 26 years ago.

14. jjmcgaffey Jan 28th 2013 at 02:46 pm 14

Judge Mental - a Neanderthal makes a hunch-backed snowman (just like him!). What’s really amusing about that (and I have no idea if the artist knew it - meta, or propagating bad info?) - the popular conception of the Neanderthals as hunchbacked and arm-dragging is based on one of the skeletons that was discovered early on. Later analysis showed that that particular skeleton was of a middle-aged male with severe arthritis - which is why he had that peculiar posture. Neanderthals, as a group, were as upright as Homo Sapiens.

15. Cidu Bill Jan 31st 2013 at 05:06 pm 15

Regarding the Bug strip… there may be no actual Internet in Star Trek, but I say a Doctor Who comic a few years back (not canon, of course) in which Rory managed to disable the TARDIS by downloading spam.

16. J-L Jan 31st 2013 at 05:22 pm 16

The closest thing I’ve seen to the Internet in a pre-Internet Science Fiction story was the network mentioned in Orson Scott Card’s book “Ender’s Game.”

It’s so close to the Internet that many reviewers of the book on Amazon simply refer to it as “the Internet.”

(And by “pre-Internet,” it might be more accurate if I were to say “before I learned about the Internet.”)

17. Cidu Bill Jan 31st 2013 at 06:04 pm 17

Actually, I had that beat by two or three years (though I’m certain a lot of people were ahead of me as well): in a science fiction story I had published in the early 80s, I had (as a throwaway detail) several Internet details including (trying to remember this 30 years later) somebody in Chicago reading the New York Times online and bitching about the ads that flashed onto the screen for a few seconds between pages.

Which I still believe (though I would personally find it annoying) would be the best way for newspapers and magazines to monetize their online editions.

18. George P Jan 31st 2013 at 06:27 pm 18

In the 1946 short story “A Logic Named Joe” everyone has access, through terminals, to vast amounts of knowledge. They can simply ask a question and get an answer.