Barcronicity

Cidu Bill on Jan 27th 2013

Andréa:

dog-eat-doug-brian-anderson.gif2013-01-21-dog-logic.png
“and with a little stretch…”

other-coast-adrian-raeside.gif

Filed in Adrian Raeside, Bill Bickel, Brian Anderson, David Wilborn, Dog Eat Doug, Dog Logic, Dogs, Other Coast, cats, comic strips, comics, humor, synchronicity | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “Barcronicity”

1. The Bad Seed Jan 27th 2013 at 04:23 pm 1

Would it be the correct usage of “irony” to point out that the dog in the first strip intentionally barks at the mailman every day, while the dog in the second strip is implying that he wouldn’t bark if he knew for sure that it wasn’t the mailman?

2. The Bad Seed Jan 27th 2013 at 04:24 pm 2

Oops, I meant “… WAS the mailman?”

3. Mike Jan 27th 2013 at 07:22 pm 3

No he’s saying someday it will be someone other than the mailman (like a burglar), and they’ll thank him for barking at the guy.

4. The Bad Seed Jan 27th 2013 at 07:30 pm 4

Right, but I thought it was interesting that the dog in the second strip is saying that he wouldn’t bark if he knew for sure it was the mailman, while the first dog makes a point of barking at the mailman.

5. Morris Keesan Jan 27th 2013 at 08:12 pm 5

Bad Seed, it’s an interesting observation, but I don’t think it’s in any way ironic.

6. The Bad Seed Jan 27th 2013 at 10:15 pm 6

Thanks, Morris, I can never come up with any proper example of irony, for some reason the exact concept eludes me.

7. Lola Jan 27th 2013 at 10:51 pm 7

The irony is that nobody anymore can speak of irony and have any confidence that what they’re saying actually is.

8. mitch4 Jan 28th 2013 at 12:51 am 8

Recently I’ve been noticing many instances of people on radio and TV (many but not all of them British) pronouncing “iron”, the word for the metal, more like “Eye-run” than like “eye-urn”. [Overheard: “I went to give blood, but they rejected me as anemic. So now I’m taking an eye-run supplement”.]

To me, the second has always been the standard pronunciation, both U.S. and U.K. “Irony” however uses the former pronunciation for its first two syllables. Could the explosive popularity of people talking about irony in the last 10 years have spilled the pronunciation over into the name of the element?

9. Kilby Jan 28th 2013 at 03:04 am 9

Blackadder: “Don’t you know what ‘irony’ is?”
    Baldrick: “Sure, it’s like ‘goldie’ and ‘bronzie’.”

10. minorannoyance Jan 28th 2013 at 03:24 am 10

BARK BARK BARK BARK

Nobody’s watching?

ZZZZZZZZZ

11. Kilby Jan 28th 2013 at 04:10 am 11

P.S. Coincidentally (but not “ironically”), the caption of today’s XKCD demonstrates the correct use of the word “ironic”.

12. Powers Jan 28th 2013 at 08:03 am 12

mitch4: It’s possible. m-w.com doesn’t mention “eye-ron” as a possible pronunciation, but they do list “eye-urn-y” for “irony”.