The what did WHAT now?

Cidu Bill on Jan 26th 2013

funky.gif

I’m sorry, I can’t even parse that last sentence

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Funky Winkerbean, Tom Batiuk, comic strips, comics | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “The what did WHAT now?”

1. fuzzmaster Jan 26th 2013 at 12:30 am 1

Sarcasm. She’s saying that her doofus … husband? boyfriend? I can’t remember what generation these characters are … could have been a great politician if he’d chosen that profession. But she doesn’t mean it.

2. Cidu Bill Jan 26th 2013 at 12:31 am 2

And let’s not even discuss the overall storyline here: it doesn’t warrant discussion, and that’s a matter for the masochists over at Son of Stuck Funky anyway. I’m just trying to figure out whether she’s speaking Bat.

3. The Bad Seed Jan 26th 2013 at 12:47 am 3

I’ve heard other retorts structured like that, but not in a long time and I don’t remember them sounding so awkward. She’s saying the “world of politics” missed out on him, i.e. she sarcastically saying that he would have been a great politician (not). A more common (and slightly less awkward, but it’s the best I can come up with) usage would be if I’d complained that we had no video of my 7th-grade talent show performance, and someone said something like, “Yeah, the music world really missed out on your rendition of ‘Colour My World’.”

4. Freezer Jan 26th 2013 at 01:16 am 4

@fuzzmaster: Darrin is Lisa’s biological son (and Summer’s half-brother). Jessica is his wife and the daughter of John Darling (deceased former spin-off star).

5. James Pollock Jan 26th 2013 at 10:32 am 5

She said that he’s dumb and superficial enough to be a (successful) politician. (Because in politics, you don’t have to have actually good ideas, you just have to have ideas that sound good to enough dummies to get you elected.

I didn’t have that much difficulty parsing the sentence. I’m not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing.

6. Woodrowfan Jan 26th 2013 at 11:02 am 6

made sense to me. It’s wasn’t funny or insightful, but for “Funky” it seemed almost coherent.

7. Boise Ed Jan 26th 2013 at 01:01 pm 7

Like James, the sentence seemed just fine to me, and I’m not sure either. And Darrin seems a lot brighter than the folks on last winter’s series of campaign comedy shows.

8. Boise Ed Jan 26th 2013 at 01:01 pm 8

Let me rephrase that. “As with James, …”

9. Chakolate Jan 26th 2013 at 01:53 pm 9

Boise Ed,

Your correction indicates that James doesn’t seem just fine to you. An intriguing tidbit - would you care to share?

10. Some Old Guy Jan 26th 2013 at 02:55 pm 10

Chakolate, I believe Boise Ed’s high school English teacher would have frowned on “Like James …”; the grammatical correction did not appear intended to change the content or meaning of his post. And, I agree with both of them: Jessica’s comment was a tad snarky, but not at all hard to understand.

11. Boise Ed Jan 26th 2013 at 03:06 pm 11

As written, [7] said that both the sentence and James seemed just fine to me. I’m sure James is a fine person, but praising him wasn’t what I had set out to say.

And like James, I’m not sure if having no problem with the original sentence is a good or a bad thing. Looking again at the comic, I’m wondering if Darrin understood it. Is that facial expression a double-take?

12. James Pollock Jan 26th 2013 at 05:42 pm 12

If it matters, I seem fine to *me*.

13. Chakolate Jan 26th 2013 at 06:15 pm 13

You know, I thought when I posted that comment that I should have smiley-faced.

14. Some Old Guy Jan 26th 2013 at 11:22 pm 14

^^ :)

15. MMA Feb 2nd 2013 at 11:21 am 15

You told us you were done with FW forever…. you lied to us :)