WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (10308) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Mileage

Mileage

on Jan 21st 2013

mileage.gif

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (10308) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (10308) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Mileage”

1. Colleen Jan 20th 2013 at 11:38 pm 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

At first I thought orange-shirt guy was mocking black-shirt guy for taking a month to realize that there are differences in cars. But at the end it looks like orange-shirt guy is the one who’s supposed to be the butt of the joke. YMMV?

2. yellojkt Jan 21st 2013 at 12:52 am 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I had to explain to someone what both the abbreviation and the underlying metaphor of YMMV meant. They had never seen a commercial that used it.

3. Futabakun Jan 21st 2013 at 01:13 am 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Both the first and the final panels are disconnects from the rest of the strip; the first panel sets the stage for the final panel alone. The strip really begins with panel two, where the first guy is reacting to something Norm has just said or done. The fact that the first guy isn’t fully functioning as well as Norm (in Norm’s opinion) leads to Norm’s final observation. The joke isn’t much, but the presentation is a bit more artsy, and that apparently makes up for the less than funny payoff.

4. mitch4 Jan 21st 2013 at 07:43 am 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I often think there’s an odd disconnect in “Norm”, as though the cartoonist is over-protective of his central character, a little too reluctant to acknowledge when Norm is in the wrong or just as dense as other characters who get more of the blame.

5. John Small Berries Jan 21st 2013 at 08:58 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Futabakun has it, though I don’t believe the final panel is disconnected from the rest of the strip. Norm taught some kind of technique, which took him a month to learn, to Orange Shirted Guy. However, Orange Shirted Guy immediately demonstrated his incompetence by going the wrong direction to get back to his own cubicle - something with which he should have been intimately familiar - so Norm concludes that it may take Orange Shirted Guy longer to learn the technique.

The first panel, I think, is intended to give a clue to the final panel’s meaning, for people like yellojkt’s friend, who have never heard the phrase “your mileage may vary”.

6. mitch4 Jan 21st 2013 at 09:15 am 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Picking up from JSB’s #5, I wonder if he might have thought of the audience as knowing “YMMV” (and maybe even the full “your mileage may vary”) in its more recent very-broad usages and not knowing or not quite thinking of the original literal application.

7. padraig Jan 21st 2013 at 09:44 am 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Bear in mind that the YMMV warning is given selfishly. The underlying meaning is, “Don’t complain to me if you can’t figure out how to make it work as well as I did.”

8. The Bad Seed Jan 21st 2013 at 10:08 am 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

One shouldn’t assume other people are stupid and/or slow (implied by the sarcastic “dude” in quotes, as well as the whole strip) just because they’re (we’re) directionally challenged. Some of the most intelligent people I know get lost all the time, that’s a totally different part of the brain than the parts that are generally useful for work.

9. Elyrest Jan 21st 2013 at 12:43 pm 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The Bad Seed - I’m not directionally challenged, but I do have some kind of disconnect between my brain and my body. If I’m trying to direct a person to a location I will, without a doubt, say one direction and point to the other. My spoken words are correct. This happens even though I’m aware of the problem and try to self-correct. I always repeat my directions several times to make sure that I’m understood correctly. I try to avoid giving directions at all costs.

After reading this over I think I’ll have to rethink that first statement - I might well be directionally challenged.

10. Saberchick Jan 21st 2013 at 03:46 pm 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I simply read it that someone who is directionally challenged will use more mileage driving in the wrong direction than someone who drives a more direct route.

11. CaroZ Jan 21st 2013 at 06:02 pm 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Wait, the guy in the next-to-last panel is the same orange shirt guy? Doesn’t he have a white mustache?

12. Mark in Boston Jan 21st 2013 at 06:14 pm 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Same guy but he has a piece of masking tape over his mouth. The caption should read “Oomph. Mmm mmmphm kmmm mm mmph mmph.”

13. Morris Keesan Jan 21st 2013 at 10:38 pm 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Next-to-last panel: teeth. I guess orange-shirt guy is supposed to be smiling.

14. Wendy Jan 23rd 2013 at 09:04 pm 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@Elyrest #9, I find your comment funny because I have the same problem in reverse - my hand points the correct way, but I often say the wrong direction (ie, pointing left and saying right, when left is correct). I, too, try to avoid giving directions and usually point people to Google maps instead.