मॅँ यह नहीं सम३ा च्यूइनग गम

Cidu Bill on Jan 21st 2013

india.jpg

Yeah, I get it, a lot of companies (not just AT&T) have call centers in India. What’s the joke here?

Filed in B.C., Bill Bickel, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “मॅँ यह नहीं सम३ा च्यूइनग गम”

1. Woodrowfan Jan 21st 2013 at 12:39 pm 1

Just be glad Johnny Hart is gone or it’d be another lame Jesus Joke.

2. Phelps Jan 21st 2013 at 12:53 pm 2

I’m getting a “Title I don’t understand” feeling here. Google Translate translates the title (मॅँ यह नहीं सम३ा च्यूइनग गम) as “I do not even get 3 Chuing gum”. ????

3. BERBER Jan 21st 2013 at 12:58 pm 3

It takes far to many panels to set up the punchline. But then, I still smiled - ever been on a hotline asking for help :^)

I think the note was most likely misdirected and intended for another user that never got a response back from IT.

4. Paperboy Jan 21st 2013 at 01:35 pm 4

They made the same mistake Columbus made, but for a different, anachronistic reason.

5. minor annoyance Jan 21st 2013 at 02:39 pm 5

Yes, it could be the cavemen are just trying to reach tech support.

And it could be they’re picking up exactly where Columbus left off, trying to reach the Far East.

Or they’re explorers who’ve “discovered” a place previously known only by legend, like the cities of gold or the fountain of youth.

6. James Pollock Jan 21st 2013 at 03:10 pm 6

The cavemen HAVE phones… the midnight skulker used to change in a “phone booth” (it was a tree).

7. Cidu Bill Jan 21st 2013 at 05:01 pm 7

Phelps, Babylon gave me this as a translation for “Comics I Don’t Understand.” I figured I’d just as soon take their word for it.

8. J-L Jan 21st 2013 at 05:11 pm 8

There are several (somewhat weak) jokes at play here:

1. A message in a bottle is found, and it reads like a call center greeting.

2. The protagonist makes the leap of logic that since the message must be uttered by an Indian employee, he must therefore be near India.

The “We’ve discovered India!” shout is somewhat illogical because how can you can you associate an accent (or well-known phrase) to a country you don’t even know exists yet? So that would give us:

3. Someone discovers an unknown land and he already knows a fair amount about it.

9. Fred C. Jan 21st 2013 at 05:12 pm 9

I got “हास्य स्ट्रिप्स है कि मुझे समझ में नहीं आता” from Google translate for “comic strips that I do not understand”.

10. J-L Jan 21st 2013 at 05:16 pm 10

translate.google.com gave me this for “Comics I don’t understand”:

हास्य मुझे समझ नहीं आता

I pasted that into bing.com/translator , and it translated it to English as “Comics I don’t understand”.

For once, Google and Bing agree on something.

11. Mark in Boston Jan 21st 2013 at 06:07 pm 11

“Where am I?” “You’re in an airplane!” “Thank you!” and that’s how I knew I was flying over [your favorite software company]’s Tech Support building.

12. pepperjackcandy Jan 21st 2013 at 09:31 pm 12

One of the tests of an online translator is to put the results back in and see what you get. I pasted both “हास्य स्ट्रिप्स है कि मुझे समझ में नहीं आता” and “हास्य मुझे समझ नहीं आता” into Google Translate and Bing.

In Google, “हास्य स्ट्रिप्स है कि मुझे समझ में नहीं आता” gives me “Comic Strips That I Do Not Understand” and “हास्य मुझे समझ नहीं आता” gives me “I do not understand humor.” However, when I tried Bing, the first still gave me “Comic Strips That I Do Not Understand” and the second gave me “Comics I Do Not Understand.”

In Bing, “मॅँ यह नहीं सम३ा च्यूइनग गम” gave me “Main chyuinag not sam3a gum,” which doesn’t sound like English to me at all.

13. padraig Jan 22nd 2013 at 10:29 am 13

I just want to know why the cavemen’s hair and beards only grow when they’re at sea.

14. DPWally Jan 22nd 2013 at 01:27 pm 14

I assumed the AT&T reference implied they’re using Apple Maps, which has a reputation for being as accurate as the one Columbus followed to “India”.

But that may give the strip too much credit for cleverness.