David Willis captioned this “Comix Only For People who Can Read Sheet Music”…

Cidu Bill on Jan 18th 2013

2013-01-18-sheetmusic.png
… but I don’t know, what I remember from my clarinet lessons back in 1965 was enough to get this one.

Filed in David Willis, Dumbing of Age, comic strips, comics, humor | 34 responses so far

34 Responses to “David Willis captioned this “Comix Only For People who Can Read Sheet Music”…”

1. Phelps Jan 18th 2013 at 10:08 am 1

I love you, you love me, we’re a happy family….. arrrghh!

2. Sam Moore Jan 18th 2013 at 10:08 am 2

I only read a dab of sheet music, but that is the theme from Barney ( I love yo-o-u, you love me-e-e……..

3. padraig Jan 18th 2013 at 10:29 am 3

“I hate you, you hate me, where’d I leave that TNT…”

4. New-ish Guy Jan 18th 2013 at 11:20 am 4

Wow, I went in a completely different direction. I heard it as a song so old it could be considered a dinosaur: “This old man, he played one, he played knick-knack on my drum…”

But yeah, the Barney version is the more reasonable interpretation.

5. The Bad Seed Jan 18th 2013 at 11:21 am 5

I’d think pretty much everyone could guess the song, because the only other dinosaur-related songs I can think of are “Walk the Dinosur” http://www.mtv.com/videos/was-not-was/341267/walk-the-dinosaur.jhtml (sorry, I couldn’t find one with an ad, but it’s short) and the theme from the Dinosaurs tv series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx9Wg03arxQ

6. The Bad Seed Jan 18th 2013 at 11:21 am 6

Ooops… WITHOUT an ad… more coffee… ;)

7. Frosted Donut Jan 18th 2013 at 11:37 am 7

And in Barney-related news:

Barney’s Kin ‘Shoots Neighbor’

8. James Pollock Jan 18th 2013 at 12:00 pm 8

Another possibility would have been the theme to the Flintstones.

9. Chakolate Jan 18th 2013 at 12:06 pm 9

Frosted Donut @6

Barney’s Kin ‘Shoots Neighbor’

This phrase gave me a mental image of a miniature Barney starting a feud with Mister Rogers.

O, the horror!

10. AMC Jan 18th 2013 at 12:15 pm 10

More than 30 years since I’ve had to read sheet music - and I still got it from looking at the notes and humming.

I guess all those music lessons weren’t wasted!

11. Scott Jan 18th 2013 at 12:20 pm 11

I guessed it, but I offer “Alley Oop” as another song at least mentioning dinosaurs.

12. John Small Berries Jan 18th 2013 at 12:21 pm 12

As someone who grew up pre-Barney, and is in a happily child-free marriage, I too interpreted it as “This Old Man”.

13. furrykef Jan 18th 2013 at 12:22 pm 13

Grr. As a composer myself, I really should have been able to recognize it by playing it in my head, but I couldn’t. (I don’t work with ‘proper’ musical notation that often, though.)

14. Nitric Acid Jan 18th 2013 at 12:28 pm 14

I read the comments on the website to find out what it was, but I suspected that the barney theme song would be a) dinosaur-related, and b) likely to cause such an expression of disdain.

“…and a shot rang out, and Barney hit the floor, no more purple dinosaur…..”

15. Ted in Fort Lauderdale Jan 18th 2013 at 12:39 pm 15

I didn’t get this - I recognized the tune purely as “This Old Man”. My older one was (fairly briefly) a fan of the show close to 20 years ago, but unlike Sesame Street and some of the other kid shows, Barney was so horrifying that I studiously avoided it, so while I recognized the song when I youtubed it, it hadn’t completely engraved itself on me. As an aside - were _all_ the Barney songs (badly) relyricked public domain tunes?

16. Arthur Jan 18th 2013 at 02:19 pm 16

If I hadn’t guessed the tune, I wouldn’t have been able to
    make it out from the scoring.

If you want *good* dinosaur-related music, see if you can
    find some of the out-of-print CDs from Dr. Jane Robinson.
    One of them is (almost?) entirely dinosaur songs.

17. Woodrowfan Jan 18th 2013 at 03:19 pm 17

I also thought “Alley Oop.”

18. Keera Jan 18th 2013 at 05:03 pm 18

Thanks to New-ish Guy @3, I got it. My music reading skills are too rusty, and I know of Barney only by reputation.

19. Mark in Boston Jan 18th 2013 at 05:51 pm 19

You often see musical notation in comic strips, but it is rarely readable or playable.

Except in “Peanuts” where you can always identify the piece of music Schroeder is playing on his piano.

(Which reminds me. What puzzled me about the animated Peanuts TV specials is that the real Schroeder wouldn’t be caught dead playing jazz.)

20. Jeff S. Jan 18th 2013 at 06:54 pm 20

I got it and I don’t play any musical instruments, but thanks to Dr. Murray, my music teacher in elementary school, I could read enough of it to get that damn song stuck in my head for waaaaay too long.

21. guero Jan 18th 2013 at 08:26 pm 21

I kinds guessed what it would be before getting to the last frame, but it at least provided confirmation. The previous day’s comic had Dino-hat playing the Jurassic Park theme with appropriate score in the background (lofting through the air? Is there a term for this type of representation?) Anyway, I had made no attempt to “read” yesterday’s music, primarily because my skills don’t extend to four part harmony, and I wouldn’t have recognized the theme even if I could. I Googled it today and went back to check, and yeah, it was legitimate, too.

And for the record, it will always be “This Old Man”. Not only is Barney a thief, but his lyrics are craptastic. There, I’ve said it.

22. James Pollock Jan 18th 2013 at 08:55 pm 22

The theme for “Yoshi’s Island” would have fit, as well, but anyone who’s a teenager now wasn’t born yet when it came out.

23. jjmcgaffey Jan 18th 2013 at 11:41 pm 23

I guessed - I can play sheet music, sort of, but I can’t hear it from looking at it. I second the Dr. Jane recommendation (Arthur, #15) - my mind went immediately to “Who Owns the Bones” about Sue (now in the Field Museum). Couldn’t find even lyrics online though - sorry!

24. Proginoskes Jan 19th 2013 at 02:36 am 24

@ Scott (10): Weird Al Yankovic’s parody of “Give It Away” mentions dinosaurs as well.

25. Molly J Jan 19th 2013 at 09:19 am 25

@10 - There’s The Police’s “Walking in your Footsteps” as well.

I, too, thought it was “This Old Man.” Felt foolish when I was reminded that Barney had co-opted that tune. My kids were all little during the Barney craze, but in order to preserve my stay-at-home-mom sanity, we lived in a pretty much Barney-free zone.

26. padraig Jan 19th 2013 at 11:55 am 26

Geeky though it may be, this is my favorite Barney-related humor of all time. Be sure to scroll down to the x-ray illustration: http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i1/barney.htm

27. George P Jan 20th 2013 at 12:27 am 27

I guessed the melody, but I also sang it “This old man…”.

I have had very little exposure to Barney.

28. Stan Jan 20th 2013 at 01:57 am 28

Looking for dino related music? How about anything by T. Rex?

29. John in Tronna Jan 20th 2013 at 09:27 am 29

“…and a shot rang out and Barney hit the floor:
    No more purple dinosaur!”

30. Daniel J. Drazen Jan 21st 2013 at 10:22 am 30

A Chicago DJ once opened up the phone lines for anti-Barney lyrics. The contest came to a screeching halt when a kid submitted the following:

“I hate you, you hate me/Barney gave me HIV….”

31. Morris Keesan Jan 21st 2013 at 10:05 pm 31

Should this have the opposite of a “geezer” tag? i don’t know when Barney hit the airwaves, but it was well after I stopped watching kids’ tv.

32. Todd Jan 25th 2013 at 05:09 pm 32

If I was in charge of the world, there would be special prisons for anyone who didn’t like Barney.

On the other hand, I would eradicate all trace of Spongebob Squarepants. What a horrid creation.

33. Kilby Jan 25th 2013 at 06:08 pm 33

I dislike both Barney and Spongebob, but I’d let my preschooler watch a Spongebob marathon before I’d expose him to even one minute of Barney, or 30 seconds of the Teletubbies.

P.S. I’ve never been a big fan of Zippy the Pinhead, but there was one strip that I really liked. It went something like this:

First: “I hate Barney!”
    Second: “I hate Barney more!”
    First: “No, I hate Barney more!”
    Zippy (center): “Kids, can’t you see how your feelings have brought you together? There’s enough hatred of Barney for everyone!”

34. Mark M Jan 25th 2013 at 06:41 pm 34

I once overdubbed a Barney VHS tape with my own commentary. The best part was when they sang “Barney’s Birthday” and I replaced it with Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid”.