Bonuses

Cidu Bill on Jan 17th 2013

freerangebillwhitehead.gif
This would make more sense to me if we hadn’t just heard, for the fifth consecutive year, that top executives were getting outrageous bonuses despite the fact that these same companies are using the bad economy as an excuse to give little or nothing to everybody else…

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bill Whitehead, CIDU, Free Range, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Bonuses”

1. James Pollock Jan 17th 2013 at 12:20 am 1

Mr. Dimon only got half the bonus he got last year. Of course, that still leaves a bonus of $10 million, but… half.

2. Mike Jan 17th 2013 at 02:29 am 2

I don’t think this has to be an “executives are getting puny bonuses, no bigger than a hot dog” joke. I think it’s an “executives can stroll down to the bonus cart and give themselves a nice bonus whenever they feel like it” joke. Or maybe more likely it’s just a simple “bonuses are nice and it’s nice to go get one just like going to the ice cream cart and getting a popsicle”. I mean, they look happy to be getting some bonuses, don’t they?

3. Lost in A**2 Jan 17th 2013 at 04:09 am 3

That is an ice-cream cart, not a hot-dog cart.

4. Phelps Jan 17th 2013 at 04:20 am 4

My guess is that this is some sort of play on the expression “passing them out like candy”. Seems pretty weak, though.

5. Kilby Jan 17th 2013 at 06:38 am 5

Is there any significance to the fact that this transaction is occurring just around the corner from a “Potato Market”? (If anyone has a better interpretation for “POT(A)… MAR..”, I’d be happy to hear it.)

6. The Bad Seed Jan 17th 2013 at 07:34 am 6

Potash and Marigolds? ;)

7. Dan W Jan 17th 2013 at 08:38 am 7

Potassium Margarine?

8. Paperboy Jan 17th 2013 at 11:56 am 8

He’s labeled his ice-cream cart “Executive Bonuses” to attract a different clientele.

9. Boise Ed Jan 17th 2013 at 01:03 pm 9

This bonus crap is one reason why I dumped the Chase überbank a couple of years ago and started banking with a local outfit. Another reason is that I trust the local guys more.

10. Bruce Jan 17th 2013 at 03:21 pm 10

The humor lies in the fact that this is precisely NOT how executives get their bonuses. Wry? Sarcastic? Satiric? But definitely not how the world really works, is it?

11. Bob in Nashville Jan 17th 2013 at 05:34 pm 11

It would, however, be justice if the executives of job-exporting corporations only got an ice cream cone for a bonus.

12. chuckers Jan 17th 2013 at 07:48 pm 12

I was thinking it was along the lines of Executive Bonuses were available on every street corner.

13. Mark in Boston Jan 17th 2013 at 09:21 pm 13

I’m not an executive, but I got a bonus this year and so did most others in my company.

You see, my company has learned to give bonuses instead of raises. Raises increase your salary base every year. Bonuses don’t. Here, I’ll show you. Suppose I started at $20,000 per year and got a 5% raise or a 5% bonus:

Raises:

Year 1: 20,000
    Year 2: 20,000 + 1000 = 21,000
    Year 3: 21,000 + 1050 = 22,050
    Year 4: 22,050 + 1102 = 23,152

Bonuses:

Year 1: 20,000
    Year 2: 20,000 + 1000 = 21,000
    Year 3: 20,000 + 1000 = 21,000
    Year 4: 20,000 + 1000 = 21,000

14. The Vicar Jan 18th 2013 at 04:09 am 14

@Mark in Boston:

Meaning that if your management, like most corporate managements do sooner or later, decides to cook the books to show higher profits by squeezing the employee base, you’ll cease getting bonuses and be paid at a level equivalent to the one you had many years ago, with no recourse because they haven’t cut your actual salary at all. The difference is that inflation won’t be similarly rolled back. I’ve been watching your posts; I honestly can’t wait to see what convoluted logic you’ll be using to blame that on “the left”.

15. Mark in Boston Jan 18th 2013 at 06:11 pm 15

@The Vicar

I’m already being paid at a level equivalent to the one I had at year 2.