Pie

Cidu Bill on Jan 16th 2013

pie1.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bizarro, CIDU, Dan Piraro, Life of Pi, comic strips, humor | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Pie”

1. Arthur Jan 16th 2013 at 12:19 am 1

There was a recent movie, “Life of Pi”. This is the life of a Pie.
    It starts whole, is gradually eaten, then finally shows up as one
    of the easter eggs in a Bizarro comic. That last panel is a part
    of last Monday’s panel.

2. Arthur Jan 16th 2013 at 12:20 am 2

Oops. Sorry. I missed that this wasn’t a CIDU.

3. Joshua Jan 16th 2013 at 01:04 am 3

Arthur: Well, it was a CIDU to me.

4. CaroZ Jan 16th 2013 at 01:24 am 4

Sort of a CIDU for me until Arthur #1 mentioned the reference to Monday’s panel. It had all made sense except for the snowman; I’d assumed it was something to do with “Life of Pi.”

5. Cidu Bill Jan 16th 2013 at 01:45 am 5

My bad, Arthur; it was a CIDU, but the tag got eaten somehow.

It’s properly labeled now.

6. Kilby Jan 16th 2013 at 03:50 am 6

Okay, there are supposed to be three Easter eggs. The pie (on the lamp) is obvious, and the dynamite is relatively easy to find, but what’s the third one? The pie in the third panel? I see a “2″ in the fourth panel, but no “K” to go with it.

7. Kamino Neko Jan 16th 2013 at 04:18 am 7

The K is there in the panel it’s taken from from Monday.

He made a bad choice, by counting it anyway.

8. Annie Benson Jan 16th 2013 at 05:58 am 8

Arthur to the rescue! This one had me totally baffled when I read it in the newspaper. I was hoping it would show up here.

Yeah, I don’t get out to the movies much.

9. Kilby Jan 16th 2013 at 05:59 am 9

Perhaps he was counting the pie twice, and not the (half of the) “K2″.

However, if I had that Bizarro URL on my list of favorites before, I would have just deleted it. I went to the address hoping to find a path to Monday’s cartoon, but failed. Luckily, I was able to find it (very quickly) on the Washington Post’s comic pages.

10. mitch4 Jan 16th 2013 at 06:57 am 10

I think the 3 items are the firecracker in panel 4, and the two pie slices in panels 3 and 4. So we do not get to count the whole pie in 1, nor the negative slice in 2.

11. BBBB Jan 16th 2013 at 08:56 am 11

This discussion has me more confused than the comic, which I still don’t understand–other than the reference to the movie.

12. igeek Jan 16th 2013 at 10:43 am 12

And why does a snowman(child) need a blanket?

13. UXO Jan 16th 2013 at 11:17 am 13

igeek: To stay cold, of course. Insulation doesn’t keep you warm, it prevents (well, slows) heat flow. He probably likes to sleep in a refreshingly warm room and keep cold by snuggling under the blankets.

14. zookeeper Jan 16th 2013 at 12:37 pm 14

For BBBB @ 11: an exalted cartoonist named Al Hirschfeld used to draw his daughter’s name into his artwork, and leave a number by his name. Finding “NINA” the requisite number of times was a Sunday funny. Dan Pirarro has picked up on this amusement as he inserts icons into the artwork. A UFO, a firecracker, this or that. Find Waldo.

15. Jeff S. Jan 16th 2013 at 01:53 pm 15

Stealing from Wikipedia — Most Bizarro cartoons include an eyeball (the Eyeball of Observation), a piece of pie (the Pie of Opportunity), a rabbit (the Bunny of Exuberance), an alien in a spaceship (the Flying Saucer of Possibility), the abbreviation “K2″ (referring to his children Kermit and Krapuzar), a crown (the Crown of Power), a stick of dynamite (the Dynamite of Unintended Consequences), a shoe (the Lost Loafer), an arrow (The Arrow of Vulnerability), a fish tail (The Fish of Humility) and/or an upside down bird (the Inverted Bird) hidden somewhere in the cartoon. Piraro has begun indicating how many symbols are hidden in each strip with a number above his signature

16. captainswift Jan 16th 2013 at 01:58 pm 16

@BBBB (zookeeper’s explanation seems a bit confusing, and I know what he’s talking about, so I’ll try to clarify.)

Bizarro strips have regular little doodles scattered around. They aren’t part of the joke, just regular graffiti the artist throws in. These include a UFO, an upside down bird, a firecracker/stick of dynamite, and most relevent here, a slice of pie. Fans of the strip enjoy finding these little Easter eggs.

Beside his signature in each strip is a number. This is the number of Easter eggs appearing in that strip.

The joke of this strip is that the life of a slice of pie ends up a hidden object in one of his strips.

17. Keera Jan 16th 2013 at 02:42 pm 17

Finally, a Bizarro comic that is, well, bizarre! :-D

18. Boise Ed Jan 16th 2013 at 06:33 pm 18

Krapuzar? Really? How cruel to make a kid say that when the kindergarten teacher asks “What’s your name?”

Annie, this has nothing to do with the content of the movie or book, just their title.

19. Boise Ed Jan 16th 2013 at 06:35 pm 19

BTW, http://hour.ca/2007/04/26/too-damn-funny-to-be-depressed/ implies that the kids’ names are a fiction he gives for interviewers.

20. Kamino Neko Jan 16th 2013 at 06:37 pm 20

Also, regarding the Hirschfeld reference that may have inspired Piraro - one of the Easter Eggs is the string ‘K2′, which refers to his kids, both of whose names begin with K.

21. Kamino Neko Jan 16th 2013 at 06:38 pm 21

Darnit, Jeff stole my thunder on that. >_>

22. zbicyclist Jan 16th 2013 at 11:24 pm 22

Why a snowman?

23. Arthur Jan 17th 2013 at 01:38 am 23

The snowman is random. It’s part of the joke from the Monday
    panel that the final quadrant is taken from.