Foolish Cartoonist of the Month

Cidu Bill on Jan 14th 2013

glitter.jpg

Every single person she knows is going
to send her a glitter card. Obviously.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Head Trip, Valentine's Day, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Foolish Cartoonist of the Month”

1. yellojkt Jan 14th 2013 at 01:13 pm 1

Glitterbombing someone is a passive-aggressive act, not a sign of affection.

2. John Small Berries Jan 14th 2013 at 03:16 pm 2

Oh, there’s nothing passive about it.

3. Nitric Acid Jan 14th 2013 at 04:03 pm 3

When I announced my engagement, my grandmother (famous for her practical jokes) dent me a card with glitter. Not the tiny, impossible to clean stuff, but sequin-sized things that could be picked up.

So I picked them up, put them back in the card, and handed it to my fiance the next day.

4. Colleen Jan 14th 2013 at 05:19 pm 4

Glitter: the herpes of the crafting world.

5. Mark in Boston Jan 14th 2013 at 05:27 pm 5

My friend in France sent me a card that when opened went off like a Christmas cracker and blew confetti all over the place. It seems these cards are popular in Paris.

Speaking of Christmas crackers, we had them for our New Year’s dinner, but these were decorated with glitter on the outside, so just touching them you got glitter all over yourself, and of course even more glitter all over yourself when you pulled the strings and set them off.

6. Jeff S. Jan 14th 2013 at 07:47 pm 6

What are Christmas crackers?

7. chuckers Jan 14th 2013 at 09:07 pm 7

Commonwealth country merriment.

8. Jeff S. Jan 14th 2013 at 10:10 pm 8

Never heard of them before now. Thanks for the link.

9. Molly J Jan 14th 2013 at 10:34 pm 9

Christmas crackers rock.

Does that card in her hand say what I think it does?

10. Lost in A**2 Jan 14th 2013 at 11:20 pm 10

If you think it says what the DMV thought the license plate of the person fond of soy bean curd said, yes.

11. Kilby Jan 15th 2013 at 03:48 am 11

Not knowing the strip or the characters, my first impression from the cloud and the star on the last panel was that the card contained pixy dust, which magically transformed the smiling black woman into a snarly red-head. The inscription on the card reinforced this impression, which was only defused AFTER I had read the third panel.
    So, I now understand the ax that the cartoonist was intending to grind, but I really think that the presentation could have been done better.

12. mitch4 Jan 15th 2013 at 07:09 am 12

The redhead in the third panel is a continuing character, roughly the artist’s stand-in. I agree the other character at the top panels and the substitution is confusing.

13. ANDREA Jan 15th 2013 at 08:07 am 13

I LOOOVE glitter. All over my floor, my dogs, my furniture, my clothes . . . glitter on, I say! Please, send me some glitter bombs (without the nasty card, tho).

14. Morris Keesan Jan 15th 2013 at 09:55 am 14

That explains this Minimumble comic, which made much less sense when I thought it was about cards that have glitter stuck to them. Do these glitter-bomb cards actually exist? (or, as the kids today say, “Is that a thing?”)

15. R2T Jan 15th 2013 at 10:08 am 15

Kilby the last panel is parodying the sat morning cartoon psa`s on NBC from the 1980s and 90s where they made a social point then a rainbow went overhead with the words “the more you know”

16. Nitric Acid Jan 15th 2013 at 02:50 pm 16

Andrea- and if I ask you for an address to send these glitter bombs to, you’ll give me CIDU Bill’s, right?

Anyone know the address of Bill’s real estate doppelganger?

17. Narmitaj Jan 15th 2013 at 07:04 pm 17

Here are crackers at our family Christmas dinner in 1969. We, like a lot of people, pull the crackers after the main course and before Christmas pudding - you don’t want to wear the stupid paper hats too long at the table.

Jokes in the crackers are not fresh, flash, witty, intelligent, rude, ironic, clever or intended to appeal to a minority with everyone else finding them to be CCJIDU*s. They are easily understandable, childish and deliberately feeble, designed to elicit a groan from everybody in the family from kids to grandma, with the idea of bringing the family together through a shared contempt for the joke-maker (well, not exactly contempt, but something like that - an “OAURRRGGGH, that’s terrible” kind of response). This is not my idea - I saw a cracker manufacturer boss assert this in a TV documentary when questioned as to why cracker jokes are universally rubbish.

*CCJIDU - Christmas Cracker Joke I Don’t Understand, naturally.