Cidu Bill on Jan 12th 2013

2009.gif

Yes, that is the sort of thing I wonder about.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Zits, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “I wonder whether they’ll change the date when they ”rerun” this strip some years down the line”

1. Jeff S. Jan 12th 2013 at 03:49 pm 1

Speaking of 2009… I mentioned this first part before: We ran out of milk before we had a chance to go by the store, so my wife used water for her cereal. What I didn’t mention before was this: Before we left for work, my wife took some milk out of the freezer and put it in the fridge so we would have some that evening. I got home first and looked at the milk. It had completely separated… solids on top, liquids on the bottom. I checked the Use By date, then immediately threw it out.

Speaking of 2009…

2. Elyrest Jan 12th 2013 at 04:16 pm 2

Speaking of throwing things out……. Back in the early days of being married we lived way out in the country. I made french onion soup for a dinner with my in-laws and, as it was winter, I put it out on the enclosed porch to cool down. I ran into town to pick up a couple of things that we needed so I wasn’t there when my husband arrived home. He sees the pot, lifts the lid, and, not knowing what it is, thinks that it’s something that has spoiled. (Great commentary on my cooking.) Being a helpful person, and wanting things to be nice for his parents, he takes the pot across the street and dumps it into a deep snowbank. I wish I had been there to see the horror on his face when he realized that he had thrown out my beautiful soup. He tried scooping it back into the pot, but quickly realized that it was a lost cause. (Yellow snow soup?) Yes, he did survive.

3. Ooten Aboot Jan 12th 2013 at 04:46 pm 3

Elyrest’s husband to the contrary, your nose and/or, as Jeff S. experienced, your eyes are usually reliable indicators of how far you can push the “use by” (or for Canadians the “best before”) date.

Survival note for Mr Elyrest: if there’s no timer going, and no note, turn the heat down to minimum (why don’t modern stoves have “simmer”?) and keep an eye on it until the chef come home. It’s worked for me these 42 years.

4. Charlene Jan 12th 2013 at 05:11 pm 4

In thirty years I’ve never had milk last to the “best before” date. Just threw some out, rotten, best before Jan 19.

5. Elyrest Jan 12th 2013 at 05:26 pm 5

Charlene - I’ve often had milk still be good after the “best before” date. The only reasons I can think of for your milk to go bad that often are: your refrigerator isn’t cold enough; you leave your milk out on the counter too long; someone keeps drinking out of the milk container; or your source of milk is a bad one. I’d be flummoxed if this kept happening to me.

6. James Pollock Jan 12th 2013 at 07:17 pm 6

You missed one… it might have been mismarked (or is this a subset of “your source of milk is a bad one”?)

7. Lost in A**2 Jan 12th 2013 at 07:30 pm 7

Why change the date? He’d probably still eat it in 2033.

8. Keera Jan 13th 2013 at 03:39 am 8

“Use by” and “best before” are two different things. The former usually applies to fresh food, while the latter applies to things like dried or canned foods. As a single gal operating in “out of sight, out of mind” mode, I’ve done what Jeremy did, and I’ll do it again - if it’s a “best before” date.

9. DemetriosX Jan 13th 2013 at 04:31 am 9

My only problem with this cartoon is that I can’t really believe that Jeremy’s mother would have something almost 4 years past its use-by date in her freezer. This is a woman who once suggested alphabetizing the spice rack as a “fun” activity when they were snowed in. You can’t tell me she doesn’t clean out her fridge and ruthlessly throw stuff out at least once a quarter. Heck, even I manage to do that once a year.

10. ANDREA Jan 13th 2013 at 08:35 am 10

. . . or that it managed to be undiscovered and uneaten for four years . . . this is the guy who eats groceries while carrying them into the house!

11. Powers Jan 13th 2013 at 09:11 am 11

I don’t think most strips change dates when the rerun. But I was surprised to see FBoFW did so for the New Years’ strip. “Happy 2013″, it said, even though everything else about the strip is so very early-80s. (The technology, the fashions, the cultural mores…)

12. The Bad Seed Jan 13th 2013 at 09:26 am 12

Some of us have more sensitive senses of smell than others, I’m also a big thrower-outer of milk that’s smelling a little funky but not at its expiration date yet. But I’m also a big consumer of things past their sell-/best-/use-by dates, because I trust my senses of smell and sight, and also common sense (i.e. the freezer may make things ugly, but they should spoil exponentially slower, if ever). My mother was flabbergasted one time when I kept using cream in my coffee well after it had started to form butter (had big cottage cheesy chunks, but never “turned”), considering how much slightly-off milk I’d poured down the drain at her house!

13. BBBB Jan 13th 2013 at 09:56 am 13

Actually, the chocolate cheesecake squares are frozen and Jeremy is basically tossing ice cubes down his throat, which may affect him more than their “use by” date. Also, their being frozen may negate the “use by” date–well, for a while anyway.

14. Tom T. Jan 13th 2013 at 11:51 am 14

How did those things last so long in the freezer anyway, without Jeremy having found them already?

15. J-L Jan 13th 2013 at 09:23 pm 15

2009 called. They want their chocolate cheesecake squares back.

16. Daniel J. Drazen Jan 14th 2013 at 11:10 am 16

Nah!

17. Meryl A Jan 15th 2013 at 02:16 am 17

I buy powdered milk and mix it by the 1/4 cup as we use so little milk here.

Related to redateing in reruns - according to Woody Allen in Sleeper, the Pope’s wife had twins at the end of the last century. Never thought we would pass the future in the picture so quickly.